Thread: Fresh Sardines page

paul119 is offline Senior Member

Fresh Sardines

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I'm living in Turkey at the moment and have access to fresh sardines right from the sea (great deal at less than $2.50 per pound). Anyone have any great recipes for fresh sardines? I just made some by pan-frying the sardines in olive oil with onions and a little salt, but the taste was meh. I'd like to hear of some great recipes so that I can really enjoy the experience of eating fresh sardines. Thanks!

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    I was perusing recipes last night for things to make with fresh sardines and ran across this one that I think looks good (but I haven't yet tried it). Can you get fennel in Turkey?

Grilled Fresh Sardines with Fennel and Preserved Lemon Recipe at Epicurious.com

msojka is offline Junior Member
    I have made the Epicurious recipe posted by Credodisi several times. It transported me to some exotic location. Incredible! I had made my own preserved lemons but you should be able to get them in Turkey and not have to wait a month for your lemons to pickle in the salt. Here is the review I posted on Epicurious about three years ago.....
    Out of necessity I made substantial changes to the recipe. The result was a blend of flavors and textures that transported me seemingly half-way around the world. First, I used large 1/2 pound frozen sardines. I fried them using the spices listed. However, not having fresh dill, I just sprinkled a little dried over the fish. For the fennel, I didn't have fennel and just used onion and celery. Even so, the preserved lemons and all the flavors created a very exotic dish that was quick to prepare and eat for lunch.

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    Wow that looks a good recipe. I usually just do sliced lemon + some sea salt so looking forward to trying that

adameads is offline Senior Member
    i love sardines. i put them on a paper plate, squeeze a little yellow mustard and himalayan pink salt on them, and eat them with a fork.
    Liberalism: ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    when you said the taste was meh, do you mean bland or not that pleasant? fish fresh off the boat, within 12 hours of being caught, i always just fry in butter. put some salt and pepper on it and eat it. sometimes we do the squeeze of lemon, or a few herbs, or some herb salt. but the general idea is not to mask the flavour at all. sardines i have never had fresh but i think they are similar to mullet. i have a friend who has put mullet in sushi. we smoke it sometimes. there are stacks of good recipes here
    BBC - Food - Recipe finder : sardine which i look thru when we have mullet. they arent all primal but you get the drift.