Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-Dairy Probiotic Foods? page

ChickenLittle is offline Junior Member

Question Non-Dairy Probiotic Foods?

Hi all,

I eliminated gluten a long time ago and eat very few other grains-- so now I'd like to cut out dairy for a while and see if it helps with my eczema. My only real hesitation is the loss of my beloved yogurt and kefir. What would you recommend as good non-dairy probiotic foods?

If there is already a thread on this topic, please redirect me there. I just couldn't find one.

Thanks a bunch.
    ---
    Since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Water kefir grains are an option... and kombucha.
    And any fermented veg like sauerkraut... if it's naturally fermented and not pickled.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    yep, sauerkraut and pickles and kim chee. I either make my own or I buy the ones from the refrigerated section that have live cultures.

I'm not sure where you live, but around here we have pickles & kraut from a company called Sonoma Brinery. Sometimes I also buy Bubbies.

But really, if you just look in your refrigerated section of your local health food store, you'll see all sorts of options.

Oh, and our farmer's markets usually have a few hippies selling some fabulous homemade raw kraut. So you might check there as well.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Water kefir, coconut kefir, cultured vegetables such as fresh sauerkraut, miso and tempeh are a few. Don't forget though that fibers (prebiotics) are more important than probiotics for the long term. Probiotics can only replace a very limited number of the thousands of strains of beneficial microbes that inhabit our body making probiotics of limited benefit. Fibers feed all the flora boosting their numbers. Simply taking probiotics and never feeding them is like planting a tropical plant in poor soil and never giving it any nutrition to grow. If you are really lucky it may survive, but it will not thrive.

But if you are not doing grains and/or beans, remember that miso is made from soybeans and barley (or rice), and of course tempeh is soybeans as well.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    But if you are not doing grains and/or beans, remember that miso is made from soybeans and barley (or rice), and of course tempeh is soybeans as well.
    I eat beans, grains, seeds, vegetables, meats, etc. I don't follow any strict diets.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Which is why I skipped them... this being a Primal/Paleo site and all...
    I'm sure there are plenty of probiotic bugs to be found without the beans/grains...
    And plenty of prebiotic fiber as well.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Which is why I skipped them... this being a Primal/Paleo site and all...
    I'm sure there are plenty of probiotic bugs to be found without the beans/grains...
    And plenty of prebiotic fiber as well.
    Exactly. I don't entirely understand why folks sign up for forums like this if they're not going to follow the basic tenets of this way of eating. But I guess if that's what floats their boat, power to them. As long as they're not trolling. ;-)

ChickenLittle is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Sounds like fermented veg are some of my best options guess I should get cracking! Off to buy some cabbage...
    ---
    Since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast