Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non-Dairy Probiotic Foods? page 3

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Also miso and fermented condiments like Korean hot pepper paste.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Trust me, Jim Henson is a bit of a nutjob. I don't think you're him.

And I apologize if you felt insulted. It does seem like if you're going to join a group, then when you make suggestions to others, it would be thoughtful to keep your suggestions within the general guidelines of the concept behind the forum. And that you probably shouldn't get too upset if someone points out that what you're saying is not really within the guidelines.
    I can care less if someone points out I am posting outside the "guidelines" as in non-paleo. I have already started my position on that including the fact that different paleo sites have different ideas on what the paleo diet is and should be. But that is not an insult nor what I was referring to. What I am upset about is people like BestBetter replying with insults instead of evidence in every post just because they disagree with the evidence I present. And then they comment about wanting an ignore button so they don't have to read my posts. Do they really need an "ignore button"? all they have to do is look at the top of the post to see who posted and ignore my posts if they don't like what I say. Instead they not only read my posts, but they also respond with constant insults, which is just a sign that they have no clue what they are talking about but have a superiority complex. Thus the need to put others down so they are below them while refusing to post any evidence to the contrary because they have no clue what they are talking about.

I should not be personally attacked just because I have spent decades doing in depth medical research and know things they don't. Just like I wold not attack someone for knowing how to crochet just because I don't.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Fermented veggies are great. I have fermented fruit in with my veggies and its very good also. As far as the fiber bit is concerned a little goes a long way. Not really much needed at all and nothing that you cannot get with a couple of servings a day of veggies. Especially veggies from your home organic garden with all the little microbes still in tact. Fiber is best thought of in terms of hormesis....a little may be better than none, but that doesn't mean more is gonna be of any help and can very well have negative effect.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    One thing to watch out for is sauerkraut that isn't actually fermented. They just use vinegar to make it sour. I fell into that trap! The ingredients should just be cabbage and salt.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    One thing to watch out for is sauerkraut that isn't actually fermented. They just use vinegar to make it sour. I fell into that trap! The ingredients should just be cabbage and salt.
    If making homemade sauerkraut acetic acid ("vinegar") is one of the beneficial acids formed by the fermentation of the cabbage by the bacteria.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    If making homemade sauerkraut acetic acid ("vinegar") is one of the beneficial acids formed by the fermentation of the cabbage by the bacteria.
    This is true. But you can "douse" cabbage in vinegar and salt and let it sit for a while and it will taste like a reasonable "copy" of the real thing. That's how most grocery store brands make their sauerkraut and it's why you should source it from a reputable vendor (like I do at my farmer's market), or learn to make your own.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Good point about the vinegar... there are a lot of brands that use vinegar as an ingredient, so you definitely wanna make sure that cabbage & salt are the only listed ingredients.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also... you can make homemade old fashioned vinegar from a mother... just sayn.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123