Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-Dairy Probiotic Foods? page 2

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Exactly. I don't entirely understand why folks sign up for forums like this if they're not going to follow the basic tenets of this way of eating. But I guess if that's what floats their boat, power to them. As long as they're not trolling. ;-)
    I did not even know this site existed until links got posted over on another site I was posting on. The links were part of a debate on iodine, and there was a lot of incorrect and dangerous information being pushed by one particular poster. So I signed up to address the claims that were being made. As I looked through the site I found that even the site is supposed to be about the paleo diet, which different paleo sites have different ideas on, but people were posting on all sorts of things not even related to paleo so I stuck around.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    For non-dairy probiotics, I make my own kombucha, and I've been experimenting with lacto-fermenting fruits and veggies. (Actually, that's a lie, i haven't actually fermented fruit yet, but it's next on my list to try!)

This site has some cool recipes (beet kvass is on my list of things to try, too!)

Fermented Food Recipes | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    For non-dairy probiotics, I make my own kombucha, and I've been experimenting with lacto-fermenting fruits and veggies. (Actually, that's a lie, i haven't actually fermented fruit yet, but it's next on my list to try!)

This site has some cool recipes (beet kvass is on my list of things to try, too!)

Fermented Food Recipes | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

enjoyed that site. I havent made kraut for a couple of decades, though I think about it nearly every week for the last few months. I can remember we use to put a chunk of potato in the top to weight it down, then discard it later. I havent researched but I wondered if anyone has in insight on that practice (like does it add anything else in the process) or does anyone do that anymore?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I can remember we use to put a chunk of potato in the top to weight it down, then discard it later. I havent researched but I wondered if anyone has in insight on that practice (like does it add anything else in the process) or does anyone do that anymore?
    I never heard of the potato thing, always hear/read the recommendation to use a heavy plate to weigh down the stuff...I'm curious to hear what that's about, too!

Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Exactly. I don't entirely understand why folks sign up for forums like this if they're not going to follow the basic tenets of this way of eating. But I guess if that's what floats their boat, power to them. As long as they're not trolling. ;-)
    I think a lot of peeps really get riled up to go on forums they don't care about just to argue...That reminds me, haven't heard from jim Henson lately. (Maybe JamesS is his new screen name?)

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I think a lot of peeps really get riled up to go on forums they don't care about just to argue...That reminds me, haven't heard from jim Henson lately. (Maybe JamesS is his new screen name?)
    Actually the problem is that some people just like to act like complete jackasses to newcomers that they just happen to disagree with. That is why they respond to that person in every post with insults.

I take it you acted that same way with Jim Henson as well, which by the way I have no idea who that is.

seashells is offline Senior Member
    Bubbie's Sauerkraut! I have about a quarter cup of that every day when I come home- just to satisfy that "I'm Home Gotta Eat Something" craving, and because it's really good.

Velocity J is offline Member
    I eat Korean barbecue usually once or twice a month and kimchi is supposed to contain probiotics.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Actually the problem is that some people just like to act like complete jackasses to newcomers that they just happen to disagree with. That is why they respond to that person in every post with insults.

I take it you acted that same way with Jim Henson as well, which by the way I have no idea who that is.
    Trust me, Jim Henson is a bit of a nutjob. I don't think you're him.

And I apologize if you felt insulted. It does seem like if you're going to join a group, then when you make suggestions to others, it would be thoughtful to keep your suggestions within the general guidelines of the concept behind the forum. And that you probably shouldn't get too upset if someone points out that what you're saying is not really within the guidelines.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    See this thread I started a few days ago and look down for the blog post I linked in it:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65343.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast