Thread: Now that my bone broth's finished, what happens to the bones? page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Now that my bone broth's finished, what happens to the bones?

Shop Now
    I just finished a 24 hour lamb broth session here in Kabul! I put 2 kgs of bones into a three-four gallon pot and filled it with water. I seasoned it, put in some veggies and let it stew for almost a full day.

Now that I've taken the bones out, and have filtered out the solids, what happens to the bones? I notice that the healthy marrow that's inside of them has turned into slimy jelly.

Also, I'd say that I have roughly a gallon of broth once the displacement of the bones is removed. Is it okay to add say a gallon of water to it to make it more plentiful?

Any post-broth cooking recommendations would be great!!! Thanks all!!!

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    I tend to dispose of the bones if they've had a good 24 hour simmering, as there's not that much goodness left in them. It's perfectly possible to add water to your stock to boost the volume, but I'd recommend tasting it first to see if you need to!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oliviascotland View Post
    I tend to dispose of the bones if they've had a good 24 hour simmering, as there's not that much goodness left in them.
    I just made my first broth last week, chicken, and just ground up the bones. Any benefits? I have made lots of stock before, and discarded. Bone broth is my new go-to. It is very filling for me. I hope I don't get tired of it too fast.

Didn't I read that some just let them keep going?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    From my understanding, you can keep reusing the bones if you add a big spoonful of vinegar, which will help to leach out the calcium in the bones. Subsequent batches won't have the same rich flavor, and obviously much less (or none) marrow.

What I've been doing is to make a batch of broth, freeze the used up bones, then add them into the next batch with new bones. This might be pointless, but I hate letting things go to waste!

I've found that it's easier to freeze the broth as-is in a small containers, then add some water when I'm heating them up (this saves a lot of space in the freezer).

Also, since my broth tends to be pretty fatty, I let it cool in the fridge, so the fat hardens in a layer at the top, and i skim off some, which i used to cook with, then I either drink the broth, or use it instead of water to cook rice in, or to braise meat and vegetables.