Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible damage to stomach lining? page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

Possible damage to stomach lining?

Primal Fuel
    I have a question that might not be able to be answered on this forum, but I decided to ask because maybe someone else has had this problem. I also want to get everyone's advice before going to a doctor.

Pretty much the issue at hand is occasional stomach cramps. I have been unable to link this with any specific food. It seems to occur with pretty much all foods. This leads me to believe that the issue isn't the foods I'm eating, but my stomach itself. I think the occasional stomach cramps might have to do with a weakened or damaged stomach lining.

I used to use a lot of ibuprofen. I'm a 19 year old female, and ever since around age 12 or 13, I have been using ibuprofen for things such as headaches and menstrual cramps. It wasn't uncommon that I had headaches several times a week(probably from a combination of poor diet and dehydration) and so because of that, I did take ibuprofen at least once a week. Probably even twice a week. I also used to have bad cramps once a month, and so sometimes I would take ibuprofen twice a day for 3-4 days out of the month. There was also one time where I overdosed on ibuprofen.

The past couple of months I have noticed that I sometimes get very light stomach cramps after eating or drinking. Like I said in the beginning of my post, I have been unable to link it with any specific food. It doesn't matter if I'm eating meat, fruit, veggies, coffee, etc. The cramps are not bad at all. But they are uncomfortable and they make me feel nauseous. It doesn't happen all the time. Only occasionally(couple times a week?).

Overall I am a pretty healthy individual. Aside from a few pounds I'd like to drop and some occasional depression, I have never had any health issues. I'm wondering if my body is now reacting to the ibuprofen that I used to take so often? If so, is there anything I can do to "restore" any damage to my stomach? I've read up on the effects of ibuprofen, and I've read that excessive use can damage the stomach lining. Does anyone here know if it is possible that the stomach can repair itself?

I know this might be a question for a doctor. But I don't think a doctor will really be able to help much without doing some expensive tests. And a doctor is just going to tell me to do what I am already doing which is to lay off the ibuprofen. What do you guys think? Thank you for any advice!

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    You very likely have an ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin, etc.) induced ulcer. Ibuprofen falls under the category of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). I explain how NSAIDs can cause ulcers in this article:

Alt/Trad Medical Review

The stomach can heal if given a chance, but you need to get off of the NSAIDs completely. There are a few things that can help promote the healing of ulcers including licorice root or raw cabbage juice.

peril is offline Senior Member
    NSAIDs are a major cause of leaky gut
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I would see a doctor, perferably a gastroenterologist. My own GI doesn't order 'expensive tests' unless warranted. He's often able to suggest a remedy simply from my symptoms and his examination. NSAIDs are notorious for causing ulcers, but it may be simply serious irritation. My father had ulcers for many years, and the pain was always from an empty stomach, not after eating.

At the very least, I'd get off all those NSAIDs immediately. If it's just irritation, it may heal on its own.

Keep in mind that my recommendation for seeing a doctor is probably based on the fact that I'm a 'senior' citizen, so I get everything checked:-)

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    NSAIDs are notorious for causing ulcers, but it may be simply serious irritation. My father had ulcers for many years, and the pain was always from an empty stomach, not after eating.
    It all depends on the food and whether or not the ulcer is bleeding. Spicy foods for example can create pain with gastritis or ulcers. If the ulcers are also bleeding then any foods or drinks containing saponins can irritate the ulcer due to hemolysis of the red blood cells.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I agree that it could be related to the ibuprofen, but I have a question for you. What's your caffeine intake like?

I have an ulcer from NSAIDs. I had "arthritis" as a kid and was put on a heavy dose to get the flare up to finally die down. I was in moderately severe pain every day for awhile there so I'm glad we did get it under control, but it definitely left me with an ulcer. For me it showed up as getting pain soon after I ate - it felt like a hunger pang! For awhile I thought I was still hungry after eating, but finally realized it was an ulcer giving me grief. It also sometimes reacted strongly to diet soda; the aspartame is pretty intense apparently.

For me, one thing that helped tame the ulcer was actually heavy doses of Pepto-Bismol pills. See, they're finding out now that a lot of ulcers are caused by a virus which I believe is called h.pilori . Well, H. Pilori doesn't do well with bismuth, which is where the "bismol" part of pepto-bismol's name comes from. I think I took one p-b pill three times a day or something like that, and it did end up helping a lot! Most of the time now I don't have any ulcer symptoms. Oh and the reason I took the pill is because the usual liquid form makes me GAG. So gross! But if you can handle it, that would be fine and possibly better.

Anyway, that's just my experience. Hope it helps!
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    unless there is something seriously wrong (which i doubt), this sounds like an ulcer or just plain gastritis (I have both gastritis and esophagitis, which are worse with non primal foods, caffeine, stress and booze). Your doc might order an endoscopy to make sure there is nothing serious. Unfortunately modern medicine does not have much of cure for these types of things. Most docs will put you on an acid medication (which are apparently not great for you) and might test you for H-pilori (bacteria that might cause these things, but its controversial). I manage mine by eating primal, limiting coffee and booze.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlTigress View Post
    For me, one thing that helped tame the ulcer was actually heavy doses of Pepto-Bismol pills. See, they're finding out now that a lot of ulcers are caused by a virus which I believe is called h.pilori . Well, H. Pilori doesn't do well with bismuth, which is where the "bismol" part of pepto-bismol's name comes from. I think I took one p-b pill three times a day or something like that, and it did end up helping a lot! Most of the time now I don't have any ulcer symptoms. Oh and the reason I took the pill is because the usual liquid form makes me GAG. So gross! But if you can handle it, that would be fine and possibly better.
    On the other hand, antacids actually create the ideal environment for h. pylori to flourish and create ulcers. My mom still won't believe me when I tell her that, and she's had them pretty horribly (can't eat, vomitting, weight loss) twice in the past 4 years.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlTigress View Post
    I have an ulcer from NSAIDs. I had "arthritis" as a kid and was put on a heavy dose to get the flare up to finally die down. I was in moderately severe pain every day for awhile there so I'm glad we did get it under control, but it definitely left me with an ulcer. For me it showed up as getting pain soon after I ate - it felt like a hunger pang! For awhile I thought I was still hungry after eating, but finally realized it was an ulcer giving me grief. It also sometimes reacted strongly to diet soda; the aspartame is pretty intense apparently.
    Aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet, etc.) is very poisonous. Technically its breakdown product, which is methyl alcohol. Aspartame is an extremely unstable molecule of the amino acids aspartame and phenylalanine linked together with methanol. Under heat sources including body heat, or simply sitting on the shelf for a few months the aspartame breaks down releasing the methyl alcohol (methanol, "wood alcohol"), which is a very powerful neurotoxin. Methyl alcohol can cause loss of vision, seizures, mental disturbances, headaches, etc. It is metabolized in the body in to the tissue irritant formic acid and the powerful carcinogen formaldehyde. Its best avoided altogether.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast