Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Possible damage to stomach lining? page 2

  1. #11
    JamesS's Avatar
    JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    457
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    Most docs will put you on an acid medication (which are apparently not great for you)
    Definitely not good. Acid blockers (proton pump inhibitors) prevent the release of stomach acid. But we need stomach acid for a number of things:

    The benefits of stomach acid

    Reducing stomach acid not only increases the risk of infections, but also reduces nutritional absorption, can increase the risk of heart disease by increasing homocysteine, increases the risk of acid reflux, etc.

  2. #12
    JamesS's Avatar
    JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    On the other hand, antacids actually create the ideal environment for h. pylori to flourish and create ulcers. My mom still won't believe me when I tell her that, and she's had them pretty horribly (can't eat, vomitting, weight loss) twice in the past 4 years.
    There is a simple way to explain it to her. H. pylori bacteria is acid sensitive, which is why when this corkscrew shaped bacteria screws in to the stomach wall it secretes highly alkaline ammonia to neutralize the stomach acid to protect itself. Therefore, using antacids helps to protect the bacteria before it takes hold in the stomach lining by getting rid of the acid that can kill the bacteria.

  3. #13
    RitaRose's Avatar
    RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    There is a simple way to explain it to her. H. pylori bacteria is acid sensitive, which is why when this corkscrew shaped bacteria screws in to the stomach wall it secretes highly alkaline ammonia to neutralize the stomach acid to protect itself. Therefore, using antacids helps to protect the bacteria before it takes hold in the stomach lining by getting rid of the acid that can kill the bacteria.
    Oh, I've explained it well. She just wants an excuse to keep taking the antacids instead of changing her diet, so she plays dumb (she's not).

    I laughed my ass off when she had to find a new doc, and her took her off of pretty much everything else she was on (statins, blood pressure meds, etc). Eventually she'll come around, but it's going to be on her schedule.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  4. #14
    Frederic's Avatar
    Frederic is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    austria
    Posts
    1

    Talking Lol

    Lol @ diet, yeh cos there is conclusive evidence which supports a paleo diet... naaaaaaht.
    It amazes me the ammount of superficial "science" and outright bs claims in these communities. Your all obviously interested in your best health, how bout doing some actual research before the tall claims about some primal paleo wasssabi justice league fad diet.

  5. #15
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    I know this might be a question for a doctor. But I don't think a doctor will really be able to help much without doing some expensive tests. And a doctor is just going to tell me to do what I am already doing which is to lay off the ibuprofen. What do you guys think? Thank you for any advice!
    A doctor and testing can be much less expensive than taking advise from random posters over Internet! This thread is full up of nonsense so far, so take your pick if you dare...
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

  6. #16
    Theresa92's Avatar
    Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    A doctor and testing can be much less expensive than taking advise from random posters over Internet! This thread is full up of nonsense so far, so take your pick if you dare...
    I am the OP. This thread is more than a year old. Thank you for your concern. My stomach issues have thankfully been resolved... A year ago.

  7. #17
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    3,169
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    I am the OP. This thread is more than a year old. Thank you for your concern. My stomach issues have thankfully been resolved... A year ago.
    Good to hear!
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •