Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergies only at night? page

grokgrok is offline Junior Member

Allergies only at night?

Primal Fuel
    This is night 3 of the Paleo diet for me.

The only that has changed in my life so far is that I'm now eating primal, but for some reason I get really bad allergic reaction ONLY at night time. I have itchy eyes, and a really, really itchy throat. My allergies have never really been this bad but it's only been happening at night. Am I allergic to night time? Am I allergic to lack of carbs?

In all seriousness, what could be causing this? Is my body still going through a funk due to such low carbs?

heatherdarbs Guest
    Wow - that happened to me, too. I didn't relate it to a change in lifestyle, but maybe that's so. I blamed it on my cat! My nose would stuff up, completely at night and I had to resort to that gross nasal crap - and I avoid meds, so that sucked. I'm around week 7 and noticed just last week that it subsided. It could be the season - I don't know about OH, but here in CA my allergies went CRAZY this past month.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Something in the room or bed, maybe. Mold, pillow dust, etc. Have you tried sleeping in the living room with a new pillow to see if it helps?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grokgrok View Post
    This is night 3 of the Paleo diet for me.

The only that has changed in my life so far is that I'm now eating primal, but for some reason I get really bad allergic reaction ONLY at night time. I have itchy eyes, and a really, really itchy throat. My allergies have never really been this bad but it's only been happening at night. Am I allergic to night time? Am I allergic to lack of carbs?

In all seriousness, what could be causing this? Is my body still going through a funk due to such low carbs?
    Certain plants do bloom at night. Or it could be mites on your pillow or something you are eating at night.

Regardless, allergies result from adrenal dysfunction. If you want to get rid of the allergies altogether you should focus on building up your adrenals. Here are some tips:

Building up the adrenals

TrPAssasin is offline Member
    I have the same issue and I found that it is better when I vacuum regularly and clean the sheets or expose them to sunlight during the day. This made me think it may be a dust mite allergy: If you feel like you have a permanent cold – it could be dust mite allergy | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I agree with the other posters about mold or dust mites. If I were you, I'd try getting new pillows, and maybe put your mattress into one of those allergen covers (I have seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond).

There are all sorts of creepy crawlies that can live in beds, ugh. I have been somewhat paranoid about that since getting covered in bedbug bites during a trip to London. And we were staying in a very expensive and reputable hotel, too. Ugh!

But yeah, I think the most likely culprit is some kind of allergen occupying your bed.

sunsis is offline Member
    agreeing with previous posters.

sounds like a dust mite issue if you only notice at night. best bet is to invest in new pillows every 6 months to a year and wash sheets regularly. i line dry mine in the hot sun.

elektro is offline Member
    I get allergies at night too. Usually it's the dry air combined with laying down. Make sure that you don't have an AC blowing in your room at night. If you have central air, close the air ducts in your room so that the cool air comes in from another room and don't keep the AC running too much at night. Try increasing the humidity in your room slightly, but not too much since that will help breed dust mites, just enough that you feel your breathing improve. Get allergy protectors for your mattress and pillows. Wash your sheets once a week if you can. Also, if you read the Perfect Health Diet, it suggests that low carb can aggravate allergies. So another thing to try is adding a bit of carbs to your diet, just a small bowl of white rice each day should be enough to see if it helps without affecting your progress on the primal diet.

star is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elektro View Post
    I get allergies at night too. Usually it's the dry air combined with laying down. Make sure that you don't have an AC blowing in your room at night. If you have central air, close the air ducts in your room so that the cool air comes in from another room and don't keep the AC running too much at night. Try increasing the humidity in your room slightly, but not too much since that will help breed dust mites, just enough that you feel your breathing improve. Get allergy protectors for your mattress and pillows. Wash your sheets once a week if you can. Also, if you read the Perfect Health Diet, it suggests that low carb can aggravate allergies. So another thing to try is adding a bit of carbs to your diet, just a small bowl of white rice each day should be enough to see if it helps without affecting your progress on the primal diet.
    Have you tried using a humidifier together with your AC on? the Ac causes the dry air, so humidifier can introduce moist into the air so you won't be allergic...

Bear is offline Senior Member
    If you sleep with an open window, and in an area that gets damp at night, it could be that atmospheric pollutants, which are pushed to ground level by rain and moisture, could be more concentrated at night...and that open window is allowing them into your home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast