Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: saute'ng page 2

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    coconut is still the champ. I will turn the heat down and live with it!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Are you using refined coconut oil or virgin/extra virgin? Refined has a higher smoke point. Also, less delicious coconut taste, but that's the tradeoff you'd have to live with.

In our deep fryer, my first choice is tallow, second is lard, third is refined coconut or palm shortening. Palm shortening is the most cost-effective. I can buy it from Tropical Traditions (find a member with a referral code and you get some kind of discount, I think) or soaperschoice.com, which sells it to candle and soap makers, but offers a food-grade option.

just virgin. i am not bothered by the smoking point, so much, i am troubled by how fast or how burned my food gets. seems like the mararine is easier on the veggies. when i use coconut oil in the same pan on the same heat , they burn easier. was never having a problem with over heating the oil , just the characteristics of the saute. butter is pretty good but fussier. I just have to control my heat, a just watch it closer. I have not deep fried anyhthing yet being paleo. hard to cook for one! will try cooking something one day!

cheekymonster is offline Junior Member
    Sesame oil? I saute a lot. Still not sure why your veggies are burning. Anyway, sesame oil gives things a nice taste. I am new to all this so I am not sure it is an approved oil or not!

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Sesame oil is a seed oil, so no, not really. I do like it though, it's too bad.

OP, I am back to being confused. If your food is burning maybe you are simply cooking it too long at too high a heat.

pamola10 is offline Member
    I have been exploring clarified butter. Last weekend I clarified half a pound of unsalted organic horizons or whatever our closest-to-Kerrygold we have here in Canada. I didn't even do a very good job of it, as I was out of cheesecloth, but the product does a much better job of saute-ing my spinach and mushrooms than regular butter. And it tastes really good too.

I still use the sesame oil to flavor my salad dressing....and haven't lost my flax oil yet, either, as fish oil almost invariably upsets something inside me. Lovely flavor to sesame oil.

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Sesame oil is a seed oil, so no, not really. I do like it though, it's too bad.

OP, I am back to being confused. If your food is burning maybe you are simply cooking it too long at too high a heat.
    why are you getting confused? my original question was just what are other people using? I recently stopped the margarine. then, I used the butter, got too hot. (told you , my stove has a LOT of hot spots!). then started using the coconut oil.

my issue was this : using all the same pans and heat , my food was not sauteing the way i like it, i was not used to the coconut oil , and kept having to adjust things too much, compared to the margarine, so i was inquiring if others have found the same to be true. not confusing. it is gettiing confusing now with all the answers. I wish I had a gas stove!

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Margarine is one molecule shy of PLASTIC~ but it is your choice~the confusion I am guessing from us,is why almost everyone here uses butter, coconut oil, tallow,OO and lard yet our food is not being burnt up?? I sautee almost all of my vegs and have since day one and I use all of the things you are having problems with. I cook in cast iron on low heat and my stuff comes out lovely and yummy everytime. There's not enough money in the world to make me use margarine for my family :| Part of this lifestyle for us has been learning to adapt my tastebuds to different tastes. IE margarine taste better to you but is so bad you will need to learn to adjust for long-term health in the future. Good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Margarine is one molecule shy of PLASTIC~ but it is your choice~the confusion I am guessing from us,is why almost everyone here uses butter, coconut oil, tallow,OO and lard yet our food is not being burnt up?? I sautee almost all of my vegs and have since day one and I use all of the things you are having problems with. I cook in cast iron on low heat and my stuff comes out lovely and yummy everytime. There's not enough money in the world to make me use margarine for my family :| Part of this lifestyle for us has been learning to adapt my tastebuds to different tastes. IE margarine taste better to you but is so bad you will need to learn to adjust for long-term health in the future. Good luck..
    i was not seeing your confusion, sorry. I never really thought much about the margarine, but recently was questioning my decision for using it. i did indeed recently realize i may be doing myself more harm than good. so , I stopped using the margarine, and from what i read, good thing.

I was just having an adjustment issue re: my cooking technique. was using margarine for so many years got used to it's properties. It was a canola based margarine and handled the task well, despite the health issues i was not aware of until now.

so when I switched,was having problems with the heat. this morning, I cranked the heat WAY from where i normally would cook, seemed to correct the issue , so i have a bit of a learning curve, this stove in my condo is the most difficult one have ever used. my cast pans heat so unevenly it is ridiculous. thanks for all the input folks!

Oceana is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you were were using margarine for so many years and got used to its properties, then I think you might like ghee (clarified butter) best. I use grass fed ghee which I got at the health food store...it doesn't need to be refrigerated, has a high smoke point and it lasts a long time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast