Thread: Bone Broth and Grassfed/Grain finished beef page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Bone Broth and Grassfed/Grain finished beef

Primal Fuel
    I am new to the idea of bone broth. Before my decision to go Primal a few weeks back I hadn't even eaten beef - period - for well over 3 years. I've been reading on how nutritious bone broth is - and am especially interested in the calcium and other minerals available as a 50+ year old woman who is stepping away from the massive amounts of dairy I've been consuming.

My grass-fed farmer sold me some soup bones - there is a fair amount of meat on them. I figure if nothing else I can cook 3-4 soup bones for a couple of hours in the crock pot - remove the meat, add apple vinegar, and keep cooking the bones for another day or so. Is this the best approach?

I TRIED to make chicken bone broth last weekend - but about 25 hours into it I lost my power for 5 hours. Couldn't put a hot crock pot in a powerless fridge, figured it sitting there for 5 hours on the counter made for a fine bacteria breeding ground...I put it in the fridge later for disposal the next day. It was pure gelatin the next day that was stuck to the bones I had left in it. Hopefully better luck the next time and I will be able to actually taste/use the broth.

Misti is offline Member
    That approach will work, Catrin. It's pretty much what we do, although some people love to roast half of the bones for the richness it adds to the broth. You lose some of the gelatin that way, but it is yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    That approach will work, Catrin. It's pretty much what we do, although some people love to roast half of the bones for the richness it adds to the broth. You lose some of the gelatin that way, but it is yummy.
    Are there other ways of approaching it? My grass-fed farmer does have short-ribs and ox-tails available, but only from grain-finished cows. I am assuming this wouldn't be a good idea for me, though still surely better than using bones from conventional factory farmed animals.

PrimalCon New York
    I cooked the soup bones on low this morning until the meat was cooked, remove the meat and put the bones back into the broth. I added 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and we will see how it turns out tomorrow afternoon. I've never done anything like this before, and this is only the second time I've tasted red meat in years. The first time was the other day and it was pretty yummy

I remembered how everyone here said how good bone marrow was, so I took the plunge when I removed the soup bones to take the meat off. It LOOKS nasty, even cooked. It tasted, however, divine! Who knew? I tried adding sea salt to one of the pieces of marrow and while that was good, I think I like it better without anything. I think the meat from the bones will help make a yummy breakfast once the broth is ready - broth with some of the meat + an egg or two and some tomato on the side perhaps. Certainly a change from the bacon and eggs I've been eating!

I've already contacted my farmer to find out if he can get me other bones, especially joints or chicken feet. When I make my next batch with the remaining soup bones I will roast the bones once I've removed the meat.