Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw goats milk? page

BennettC is offline Senior Member

Raw goats milk?

Primal Fuel
    So I am moving back to South Carolina and will have access to raw goats milk as well as cheese. Anybody out there drinking goat's milk? How much different is it from cow's? I currently have a source of raw cows milk which I love, but my closest source in SC is a goat dairy, who also happens to offer cheese, eggs, and fresh culinary and medicinal herbs which are new perks that I am excited about! I also heard that the goaty flavor is really only pungent in the pasteurized stuff and that raw has a nice smooth and creamy flavor similar to cow's.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    I can't tell a very large difference between raw goat and raw cow milk. There is a difference in taste, yes, but I can't imagine how someone could like one and not like the other. Find one preferable, maybe. I've never tasted a "sourness" in raw goat milk, save for when it's actually souring. I've never tried pasteurized goat milk to compare.

Congratulations on moving to SC... just moved from there a few months back... miss it a lot! Hope you're near the beach
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Paleobird Guest
    I adore goat milk. I have a friend who has two pigmy goats. There is a lot of research saying that goat milk is a lot closer than cow milk to human milk in terms of protein structure and fat molecules so it is much more easily absorbed. Some people who are "intolerant" with cow milk have no problem at all with goat milk. Enjoy.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't think adults should drink milk. I have held this belief since teenagerhood. So I suppose I should have said nothing here.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't think adults should drink milk. I have held this belief since teenagerhood. So I suppose I should have said nothing here.
    this is your opinion, i find it the best place to get my calcium, magnesium, and potassium as well as other essential amino acids. I went off dairy for a while and was deficient in all three. raw dairy is great.

Paleobird, i have read that as well. So excited to be making the switch, but not exciting about having to drive and hour and a half to get it

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    The same dairy where I get my Jersey cow milk also has goat milk. I have tried it and I didnt find it be as sweet as cow milk. I could get used to it, but I prefer cow milk. I have heard that the quality and make up of the pasture they graze has a lot to do with how their milk tastes. Try the goat milk. You might like it. If you just dont like it...it might be worth it to drive the extra distance for cow milk. Im enjoying a big glass of raw cow milk as I write this. Also, i was born in SC...very pretty state.

Speaking of driving...there are 2 couples who take turns driving to north of Houston to my dairy from Louisana b/c raw milk is illegal in LA. I run into them from time to time when I go on Saturdays.
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 09-07-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

There are a few places in Charleston I could go for cow's milk, but the place I'm looking at is a nice family farms similar to the one I go to now. I'm am waiting to hear about prices first though. Charleston is basically the same distance

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    We get raw goat milk for our son, he loves it. The dairy where we get our milk used to have a cow that we got raw milk from but there wasn't enough forage for her so they switched to goats. I thought for sure my son would object but no he's fine with goat milk and he has a very developed pallet.

Jovana is offline Member
    I haven't tried raw cow's milk but I have tried raw goats milk and for me the difference in taste between normal cows milk and raw goats milk is huge! I've never been a fan of milk in general but I go through 2 litres of goats milk in 2 days, the taste is just so much fuller than watery tasting cows milk. I'd definitely try it if i were you

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    so I may be staying with cows milk after all. the dairy i contacted is going into breeding season and their milk supply will be diminished. they are currently not taking any new customers. if im not mistaken one of the stores in Charleston does carry goats milk, but it will all depend on price. i think the store also has raw butter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast