Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raw goats milk? page 2

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Charleston is where I used to live... you can get raw milk (cow or goat) from the Farmer's market on saturday mornings in Marion Square. They shut the market down in the winter though.
    In West Ashley, you can go to the Glass Onion and they have raw cow milk and pastured eggs sometimes (supply is not consistent), or you can go to Geer's barber shop and they have raw cow's milk and can order raw cream. They have designated delivery days and you can sign up to ensure your supply. They used to get raw butter but don't anymore. I don't know of any store that carried raw goat milk or raw butter. I got raw goat milk from either the Farmer's market or a very nice farmer on John's Island... don't remember his name though.
    Man I do miss charleston... I used to play music for the farmer's markets every so often. Ha! Enough of memory lane.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I had raw goat milk years ago, and I remember it being quite good. It's not the greatest for making yogurt, though; my husband tried this recently and is was very thin. I'm in the same boat as SBHikes on the idea of drinking it as an adult, but I understand why people are into it.

If you're going to drink milk, in my opinion this is a great one to go with, because goat and sheep milk contains A2 casein, which is supposedly less allergenic than A1.

Here's a cool article on the A1 vs. A2 casein protein, in case you're interested:

A1 Beta Casein: The Devil in Your Milk

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Goats 'and sheeps' dairy are awesome in my experience. Especially for building muscle.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Nutritionally, raw goat's milk seems to be easier for many people to tollerate, even if they have dairy sensetivities. The same for the cheese and really, all other forms of goat-derived dairy products. So, advantage to that!

That seems to suggest that it may be "safer" to consume for most people, even those that tollerate dairy (such as myself) very well. I would suggest that you give it a try and see what you think of it. Some people say goat's milk is slightly more sour in flavor, but overall, it's not too much different.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    Charleston is where I used to live... you can get raw milk (cow or goat) from the Farmer's market on saturday mornings in Marion Square. They shut the market down in the winter though.
    In West Ashley, you can go to the Glass Onion and they have raw cow milk and pastured eggs sometimes (supply is not consistent), or you can go to Geer's barber shop and they have raw cow's milk and can order raw cream. They have designated delivery days and you can sign up to ensure your supply. They used to get raw butter but don't anymore. I don't know of any store that carried raw goat milk or raw butter. I got raw goat milk from either the Farmer's market or a very nice farmer on John's Island... don't remember his name though.
    Man I do miss charleston... I used to play music for the farmer's markets every so often. Ha! Enough of memory lane.
    Thanks man, ive found these guys on realmilk.com and will start calling around. the farmer on johns island is who i originally spoke to. will def have to check out the farmers market as well and i happen to be a musician myself. quick question about building muscle, how much milk would you consume for trying to bulk up? Right now around a quart a day has been well for me but from the looks of your picture you know a thing or 2 about that area. I try to keep my carbs around 60-80 grams and my carb of choice is raw milk. I keep my protien around 150gram a day roughly.
    How long did it take you to get to where you are now?
    thanks for al the info guys!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the western corner of South Carolina and can get raw goat and cows milk from our local locallygrown.net. I gather the taste of goat milk varies a lot depending on the goat. I can hardly taste any difference between the goat milk I get and cows milk. I can get raw cows milk from Jersey cows for less than half the price of the goats milk, so I mostly go with that. But making homemade goat cheese is fun and easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12