Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leafy green veggie recipes page

MprDoc is offline Senior Member

Leafy green veggie recipes

Primal Fuel
    Could use some ideas for some better leafy green vegetables both cooked and raw. I could use some salad recipes for work and some cooked veggie recipes for dinner sides. Kind of getting tired of just the typical tossed spinach salad at night and I know I need to eat more leafy greens. Any one have good recipes for collards? kale? Spinach?

Thanks all, appreciate the assist,

Kyle

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For Magic Bullet (or other one shot blender):

1/4 avocado
    1 large or 2 small sticks of celery
    2 cloves of garlic
    ~ 1/8 jalopeno pepper or to taste
    a squeeze of lime
    2 ice cubes
    2-3 tbsp of tomato paste
    coarse salt to taste
    1/2 cup of egg whites or 1 egg or water or other liquid of choice

As much spinach as you can pack into the remaining space. Fill the blender, zoop. Enjoy your gazpacho.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Spinach and meatball soup

Bone Broth (beef-based is better, lamb is the best)
    Tiny Meatballs (recipe follows)
    a couple of cloves of garlic and tbsp or so of the red pepper flakes
    a squeeze of lemon
    Tons of spinach

Heat broth with crushed garlic, red pepper flakes to boiling. Drop as many mini meatballs in as you wish. Let simmer for ~ 5 min till the mini-meatballs are cooked through. Dump spinach in, squeeze the lemon, turn the heat off, mix with a spoon and cover with a lid. Serve in a few minutes with sour cream, onion, cilantro or anything else you wish on the side.

Meat: Meatballs, 0.5 kg (1 lb) of each beef, lamb, pork and turkey (or any kind of combination for the total of 1 and 1/2 to 2 lbs or 1 kg of meat);
    Liquids: 0.5 cup quark; 1 egg, 50 g onion (or 1/2 medium onion or 1/4 of a REALLY BIG onion), 2-4 garlic cloves, and ~ 2tbsp of any herbs I feel like adding (parsley, normally)
    Dry Stuff: 2 to 4 dry shiitake mushrooms (size matters!), a pinch of nutmeg, about a tbsp of ground black pepper, fennel seeds and coriander

Step 1: Let the meats thaw and come to room temperature.
    Step 2: Throw the liquid components into blender and blend. I use Magic Bullet for it, and it is just what the doc ordered. If you don't have a blender, and a 6 yo that insists that she doesn't like garlic and onion but eats it if it is hidden, just chop the onion super-fine, squeeze the garlic and mix everything well and good.
    Step 3: break shiitake's apart, discard the stems, and throw the entire spice mix and shiitakes in the dedicated coffee grinder/spice grinder. Pulverize into neat powder.
    Step 4: Now you gonna get real dirty. Mix the meats well if you are using more than 1 kind of meat.
    Step 5: Make a well in your meats, pour in the liquids, dump the solids and ponder the universe while mixing it all nice and even. If you are gonna cook meatballs or Burgers ASAP, preheat the broiler before submerging hands in the meat into meat and get the broiler pad, oil it up, the whole nine yards. Unless you are big into washing hands.
    Step 6: Shape whichever way you chose. For meatballs, I use 1 or 2 tbsp scoop (oil it up before shaping)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    In a large fry pan,

1 (or more) tablespoons coconut oil
    Mushrooms, onion, shallots, garlic (any or all of these, as much as you like)
    Sauté til lightly browned
    1 (or more) tablespoons butter
    *Huge* pile of baby or chopped spinach, as much as pan will hold
    Sauté til completely wilted

I like this with leftover meat for lunch. Just toss it in a tupper with the meat and reheat.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Bok choy is good raw or cooked. It's fairly bland, so takes on the flavor of whatever salad dressing you use (I'm partial to EVOO and vinegar + a little salt and pepper). You can stir-fry it in coconut oil with other veg (summer squash, carrots, mushrooms, etc.) and add any kind of herbs and spices you like.

I'll make a too-large bok choy salad for dinner one night, then use the leftover for stir-fry the next night. Quick and easy!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Raw Greens with Garlic Paprika Dressing and Quick-Cooked Greens with Bacon Vinaigrette | Mark's Daily Apple

This has been a staple for a while:-)

Shakshuka (Eggs Poached in Spicy Tomato Sauce) | Mark's Daily Apple

I've added kale/swiss chard/spinach to this, and its fantastic.

And don't forget abot the BAS...Good luck
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I love a salad with baby spinach or kale (some people think kale salad is weird, but we love it)- we usually do a side salad for dinner with whatever greens are in the fridge, plus any veggies are lying around (cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, peppers, etc), a gourmet stuffed olive or two, a little aged cheese crumbled over the top, and a homemade dressing.

I feel like this is almost cliche, but kale chips.
    Tear a bunch of kale into bite-size pieces (my original recipe said to discard the stems, but that's not 100% necessary)
    mix in a bowl with olive oil and sea salt (not too much! you can always add more later) until evenly coated
    spread on a pan/cookie sheet and bake at 325° for about 15min, until crispy.

For breakfast I LOVE spinach or greens - there's a "pay by the pound" buffet near my office that has greens... at home I'll cook some frozen spinach (sometimes with garlic and/or onions), top with nutmeg and ACV to serve.... sometimes I'll put spinach (fresh or frozen) into an omelette *YUM*

cheekymonster is offline Junior Member
    I often shred various greens and mix them in my raw egg then toss it into the fry pan for an omelet mix. Top it with crushed bacon and avocado. I eat a lot of greens this way-- especially the wilted ones I find in the back of the fridge!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Leida, can you recommend a substitute for quark? I know I can get ricotta and queso fresco, but I have never seen quark around here. I think my family would love that soup.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    In a large fry pan,

1 (or more) tablespoons coconut oil
    Mushrooms, onion, shallots, garlic (any or all of these, as much as you like)
    Sauté til lightly browned
    1 (or more) tablespoons butter
    *Huge* pile of baby or chopped spinach, as much as pan will hold
    Sauté til completely wilted
    I do basically this, maybe add some red and yellow bell peppers for color. I start with a huge pile of kale first and let it cook down to medium soft. Then add another huge pile of spinach since it doesn't take as long to cook. When it's all wilted and soft, I add some sour cream. Stir and serve.

Kale is something I know is really good for you yada yada.. but ,when it's raw, I just can't get past the feeling while chawing on it that it was meant to be horse fodder. This recipe actually makes it very tasty.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 09-09-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast