Thread: Deprived feeling when fasting? page

golangrok is offline Senior Member

Deprived feeling when fasting?

Shop Now
    Now that I'm Primal, when I wake up, I don't really have an appetite. Because of this, I tried to just skate on that into a 20-hour fast. However, as soon as I decide to eat, it becomes like a binge. I feel desperate for all that food. Mostly it's all Primal approved but still - does this mean I shouldn't fast? I have a history of bulimia so I don't think my relationship with food is healthy enough to do IF. :/ Should I force myself to eat?
    Any input is appreciated.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about others here, but if I skip breakfast, I feel awful. I've read all kinds of studies on the importance of breakfast on cortisol levels (stress hormone) and they've convinced me to eat something every morning regardless if I feel hungry. An egg or two, some Greek yogurt and walnuts... I like to have a little coffee and eat an apple first thing, it helps me poop, but then I make sure to eat something with protein and fat before I start my day

Nady is offline Senior Member
    One of the reasons I IF (Fast-5) is because once I start eating, I'm grazing all day. The only thing that accomplishes is to make me tired/sleepy and fat. I think as long as you keep it primal, you will get filled up way faster than you will go over your calorie requirements.

JMO, but I think 'binging' when food was available is more primal than this 3 meals/grazing kind of eating that some WOE's promote. Think about it, did Grok walk away from the feast before he was completely stuffed? I really believe our bodies know exactly what to do with a feast/famine WOE.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's a binge unless you're eating significantly more than what you need in a day. Fasting and then filling up on the total days worth of calories/nutrients isn't bad.

If you're reaching for junk food after a fast, try planning out what you're going to eat before the fast is over. Use a food tracking site to make sure what you have planned for is enough. That way you will fill up and be satisfied, without reaching for the Cheetos.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by golangrok View Post
    Now that I'm Primal, when I wake up, I don't really have an appetite. Because of this, I tried to just skate on that into a 20-hour fast. However, as soon as I decide to eat, it becomes like a binge. I feel desperate for all that food. Mostly it's all Primal approved but still - does this mean I shouldn't fast? I have a history of bulimia so I don't think my relationship with food is healthy enough to do IF. :/ Should I force myself to eat?
    I think this is very wise self awareness. You should not force anything, fasting or eating. It sounds like your feeling "desperate" is more about emotional needs than physical hunger. You need to get a healthy relationship with food and your body before trying to schedule/restrict anything.

SuBee is offline Member

Forget the fasting

I strongly agree with Paleobird. I don't think fasting is a good idea for anyone who has (or has had) eating disorders. I think Mark and Robb Wolf have also said this.

You might want to check out Paleo for Women. Paleo For Women | The Mission

Wishing you the best.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I am very careful about IF because I have a history of eating disorders and it messes me up. I will sometimes do an unintentional fast, and I consistently do 12-14 hours overnight, but longer planned fasts trigger negative food behaviors for me. Maybe try having a small breakfast a little while after you get up. Some days for me that might be berries with cream, a smoothie, or a simple banana, anything that doesn't feel onerous to eat. I generally eat once I get to work, which seems to be when my appetite wakes up a bit.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I think I misunderstood this ~

Quote Originally Posted by golangrok View Post
    When do you feel a need to eat? never? maybe lunch but fighting it? I never want food first thing in the morning~ but I get hungry somewhere around 4 in the afternoon, then I do plan what to eat, not just dive mindlessly into the pantry. Is that the difference ? Or is feeling guilt for eating what makes it an ED?

I have a history of bulimia so I don't think my relationship with food is healthy enough to do IF.
    If this is how you feel, go with it. Work on changing your relationship with food first. Skipping a meal won't hurt you physically, but if your head isn't there yet, don't push it~ give it some time.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I have found (and Mark has written) that IFing at first takes some adjustment and that it's OK to binge the first few times, until your body adjusts, then your appetite will naturally taper off a little. IF has really taught me a lot about appetite control. When I started experimenting with fasting, I used fit day to track my calories per meal and per day, just to see how it was working out. i felt like I was gorging, but I really was balancing out around my normal caloric intake. Now when I break a fast, I can eat until satisfied without eating the kitchen table, and when I'm not fasting, I have much better portion control.