Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Meal ideas help page

Davids1309 is offline Junior Member

Simple Meal ideas help

Primal Fuel
    Hello All,

I was hoping someone could provide some simple and tasty primal meal suggestions. Right now, I eat out way to much because i just can't find the time to cook or because when i do cook, the chicken comes out dry or the little micro veggie packs i bought don't taste that well. So, what I've started to rely on is trying to eat primal at fast food joints. Which i know isn't the best for me, but it's easy and fast. However, it's starting to make a dent in my pocketbook.

Any ideas or beginner recipes that i can cook day in and day out for a few weeks. I don't need too many, just 2 or 3 easy ones that may have helped you when you transitioned over to primal cooking at home.

Thanks

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Here's my secret recipe for steak and vegetables:

Steak: Put salt on it. Stick it in a pan on the stove with some butter until the outside is cooked.

Vegetables: Buy them whole. Chop them into some smaller size than they started out in. Stick them in the pan you just took the meat out of with some more butter while the meat rests on your plate. Once they're kinda droopy, put some salt on them, then eat them with the steak.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Get a slow cooker / crock pot. Best investment you can make! Also, batch cook as much as possible, even if you don't have a crock pot. Cook at least 6 portions of a dish (stews, casseroles, meat-stuffed veggies such as peppers, etc.), freeze the leftovers, and you have your own microwave-ready meals. I usually do this on the weekends so I can have go-to meals throughout the week.

One thing I do when I'm feeling really lazy is pick up a rotisserie chicken or two from the market. I make sure to get the unseasoned ones. This usually provides at least 4 servings of protein per chicken and the bones can be used for broth.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Omelets:

Put butter the pan you didn't clean from your steak and vegetables again.

Beat eggs. Then put them in the pan.

Let it get a little firm on the bottom. You can push the edges in and tilt the pan so the liquid eggs run to the outside.

Put in your choice of fillings, but all to one side (Cheese if you do dairy. Non-cheese items if you don't)

Fold the unfilled side over the filled side. Tilt the pan so you can slide it onto a plate.

Total time <10 minutes, even if you use a cast iron pan that takes a while to get hot.

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Get a slow cooker / crock pot. Best investment you can make! Also, batch cook as much as possible, even if you don't have a crock pot. Cook at least 6 portions of a dish (stews, casseroles, meat-stuffed veggies such as peppers, etc.), freeze the leftovers, and you have your own microwave-ready meals. I usually do this on the weekends so I can have go-to meals throughout the week.

One thing I do when I'm feeling really lazy is pick up a rotisserie chicken or two from the market. I make sure to get the unseasoned ones. This usually provides at least 4 servings of protein per chicken and the bones can be used for broth.
    +1 I use my crock pot and throw a whole chicken in while I'm at work and then throw together a casserole or soup with it when I get home. Last night I did this and made a chicken chili rellano casserole (YUM!) Broth I froze to make a soup with at a later time. I have about 8 servings of casserole that I froze.
    Height - 5'8"
    SW - 191
    CW - 162
    GW - 155

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by catholicchick View Post
    +1 I use my crock pot and throw a whole chicken in while I'm at work and then throw together a casserole or soup with it when I get home. Last night I did this and made a chicken chili rellano casserole (YUM!) Broth I froze to make a soup with at a later time. I have about 8 servings of casserole that I froze.
    Yes, you can also toss a big ol' hunk of chuck roast (dirt cheap) in with some veggies, onions, a little broth and/or wine and let it cook all day. That's dinner for several nights.

Davids1309 is offline Junior Member
    thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely plan on trying them.

As for buying a crock pot, I plan on looking into that this weekend.

Bosstycoon is offline Senior Member
    Simple quick meals..
    Breakfast-4 eggs 3 bacon an avocado
    Lunch and dinner--If not in the mood to cook much-just eat raw veggies and some prepared protein.I do this often and still get alot of satisfaction from it...as far as paleo fast food goes and your budget...I wouldnt consider any fast food joint to be primal do to the extreme processed foods im sure....

Say you spend 10 bucks at a quick fast food joint. you could go get a bag of spinach an avocado and some cooked chicken or meat ready to go from any grocery or deli around for less than 10 bucks..You can be in and out of the store within 10 mins (the time u spend in the drive threw line) plus you get some exercise too ha...any ways try to really expand your mind on the many primal options we have out there!! that 10 bucks could also buy you like 10 avos from a store which is always a great goto snack/lunch food..This is how i look numbers and fast food with my budget i have..
    Started Primal November 20, 2011
    Slipped from Christmas-New Years
    January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
    Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Omletes are simple, easy to fix, and able to be adapted to a primal diet VERY simpley. And if you fry them in coconut oil, mmmmm yes! Get out the veggies and spices as good fillers.

If you want a more sizeable meal, top the omlete with some meat of your choice. All types work really well.

Alternatively, make a huge salad which is quick and easy, top with a perfectly medium rare steak, some pork chops, or ground meats... Maybe even flake up some quickly seared fish.

Make a primal casserol? Get some ground meat, cook it up in a pan with some beaten eggs, toss in as much as you want of the veggies of your choice, add appropriate flavorings, and bingo! Quickly done primal "faux" casserole that tastes delish! You can serve with a side of sauerkraut if you want, which seems to work well for this kind of meal.

Nycteris is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Here's my secret recipe for steak and vegetables:

Steak: Put salt on it. Stick it in a pan on the stove with some butter until the outside is cooked.

Vegetables: Buy them whole. Chop them into some smaller size than they started out in. Stick them in the pan you just took the meat out of with some more butter while the meat rests on your plate. Once they're kinda droopy, put some salt on them, then eat them with the steak.
    Perfect and simple... my favorite! And I found that I was spending less money buying steak than eating out... go figure.
    SW 260 lbs
    CW 194 lbs as of February 13, 2013
    GW 150 lbs
    PB start date: June 16th, 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast