Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homemade staples - Yogurt page 3

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    My grandmother has a wood stove. If I can save up some PTO, maybe I will stay with her for a few days in winter so I can do this
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    It's been a while, but the last batch of yogurt I made i used heavy creme. Most delicious batch ever.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    It's been a while, but the last batch of yogurt I made i used heavy creme. Most delicious batch ever.
    I'm thinking of trying that, too, shortly. Possibly also making some clotted cream, though I've no clue what I'd do with it.

(Then again, I've been eating coconut flour-banana muffins...so maybe I do know what I'd do with it. )

The sous vide has made my yogurt making much easier. Not really what it's intended for, but I love a multitasker!

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    The sous vide has made my yogurt making much easier. Not really what it's intended for, but I love a multitasker!
    I would only use that thing for yogurt, I bet. I guess you can cook meat in it with constant temps, then sear the outsides to finish them off. Nomnompaleo writes about hers from time to time.

Also, Whole Foods has some grass-fed heavy cream, but it's really pricey for such a small bottle (not sure how big it is... 1/2 pint, maybe?)!

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I would only use that thing for yogurt, I bet. I guess you can cook meat in it with constant temps, then sear the outsides to finish them off. Nomnompaleo writes about hers from time to time.

Also, Whole Foods has some grass-fed heavy cream, but it's really pricey for such a small bottle (not sure how big it is... 1/2 pint, maybe?)!
    So far, I like it for very tough cuts of meat because it makes 'em tender and delicious.

I also like it for pasteurizing thick cuts of otherwise tender meat. Like the 1.5 inch thick pork chops I made for dinner tonight. Normally grilling them would be a bitch because either they come out too tough or too raw. This way I leave them in for 8-10 hours at 135 F and I know what comes out will be tender, tasty, and cooked. I sear on the grill to finish.

I also like to do this with sausage, but Mr. Onalark is not as big a fan. He prefers his sausage to cook out on the grill; with sous vide, all the juices stay in, and it changes the texture of the sausage to something he doesn't necessarily love.

Have had mixed results with stuff like lamb loin chops, though. The fat didn't render right, and was a bit too thick. I love a well-seared piece of fat, but when it's too thick it just tastes...weird.

I hear you can also make a killer hollandaise in the sous vide. Need to try that. Oh, and I'll probably use it if I ever make a custard-based ice cream again, just to make sure all the egg stuff is properly pasteurized.

I've actually almost gone through all of my first batch of yogurt as of this evening. What's funny is I still have the storebought batch I inoculated my homebrew stuff from. Hah. I think I need to make some yogurt cheese to use up some of this yogurt.

I made two batches of yogurt over the weekend, one overnight and one during the day. I think the overnight one got too cool so it came out chunky and runny, like my first batch. Second batch "incubated" during the day and came out fine. If I'm going to keep this up, I think I will buy a yogurt maker (so many options out there!!!) to make it consistent throughout the winter, but I'm glad I know how to do it without.

I also cleaned all the the mason jars my parents had hiding in the basement and bought new tops, so I have some nice quilted jars to use for applesauce whenever I make it. My concern with sealing the jars is that I will need to buy a larger pot just to fit the jar rack (they're so much bigger than I expected). Also, a tip: check your hardware store for canning supplies. Mine has a lot of basic kitchen stuff, including canning supplies! I was pleasantly surprised.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Glad I stumbled onto this thread, as I bought 10# of apples today (well yesterday) and now I have new ideas as to what to do with them As for the yogurt, I was making Greek yogurt every few days, but havent lately cuz I stocked up on a good sale.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I'm off dairy for a while. My gut does not seem to be able to handle it after I was sick last week. Disappointing

Still trying to make time to go apple picking! I don't know if I'm going to be able to go up to my grandma's to get her canning supplies before apple season is over =\

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123