Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade staples - Yogurt page 2

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Namelesswonder, if you have a slow-cooker, I have an easy recipe for applesauce/applebutter. If you have access to organic apples it would be best cuz you don't have to peel the apples for this one.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I picked up some local apples (can't remember if they were organic) recently and made two-apple applesauce last night. I could not stop myself from burning my tongue to try it immediately, or eating all of it! It was delicious on top of my homemade yogurt and I can't wait to make more.

I'd prefer to peel (it's not so bad once you get into the rhythm) as I don't want to include anything that may hamper my digestion (lots of constipation lately), so that doesn't matter to me, but I definitely want to try out different methods. Popping apples in the crock pot while I'm at work and coming home to applesauce would be amazing, but most of the methods I've seen do not require over 8 hrs to cook. Could be a good no-hassle weekend method, however.

What is applebutter, anyway?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

To me, i guess, apple butter is creamier than apple sauce. I used to put it on my toast or make PB and apple butter sandwichs for the kids. It has more spice in it whereas applesauce probably wouldn't. The recipe I have calls for quite a bit of sugar and I haven't made it for a couple years so you could substitute another sweetener if you wish, maybe honey but add it at the end or before you blend up all the apples.

Crock Pot Apple Butter

Fill a 5 qt. crockpot heaping full of chopped apples, quarted or smaller. No need to peel, tart apples are best.

Pour 4 cups of *sugar* (more or less depending on sweetness of apples), 4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves and 1/4 tsp salt over the apples. The lid won't fit tight at first but settles as apples cook.

Begin cooking on high and when bubbling good, put heat on low and cook all day or night until thick and dark colored. Stir now & then!

If needed, blend a few seconds to soften peels (I use a stick/hand blender for this).

Pour into hot jars and seal. Jars will seal from the heat, no need to process.

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Apple butter is cooked down apple sauce. Cooking it down concentrates the sauce sweetness from the apples (good quality apple cider is what I'd use) and spices. It's thicker and spicier (more cinnamon flavor) and used on toast etc. Yummy and a good project for your 8 hour project.

I'm making Kefir and Kombucha for the first time...two days into it. I plan to feed my son and dog the dairy and use coconut for mine.
    Last edited by meeme; 09-13-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Hmm... I don't know what I'd use apple butter for, but my toast-eating family might enjoy it. That seems like a lot of sugar, I wonder if sweeter apples would require as much, or if it's needed for a slight carmelization (the color change seems to indicate that to me)?

So if the jars seal from being hot and having the hot apple butter/sauce added, then cooling together, does that mean they'll last for a couple years without having to boil (process) again? That would be really convenient, because then I could sanitize the jars in the oven or dishwasher, then keep warm in the oven, instead of getting a special wire rack to keep them off the bottom of my pot. I'm all about doing it cheaply

Well, I tend to try to use up all my home-canned goods within a year. I have opened up apple butter that has sat on the shelf for 2 yrs and everything was fine with it. I guess you could use the apple butter in other things. Use it in baked goods for moisture/flavor or to replace sugar/sweetener. I'm thinking of paleo breads or muffins. Your could make primal tortillas or crepes and use it as a filling. It could be used as a topping on a savory dish for a sweet & sour experience.

Oh man.... now I'm gonna have to make some. (adds apples to grocery list)

I wouldn't use much if I had a nice mix of apples. If you do some reading (research :0)) you'll find that different varieties of apples are used for different things...ie..apple cider is made from a blend usually, cooking vrs eating apples etc...I never got into it beyond getting good apples with firm texture. Now that I'm paleo I'd still use a little local cider to start the pot but I wouldn't add any sugar. Apple butter isn't usually eaten with a spoon but used on yoghurt or alongside some meat I doubt it would cause problems unless sugar is a problem. Yes as the apples cook down they caramelize which is why the old method had you standing over the pot stirring to be sure it didn't burn in the end. My family loved it...this along with pickled beet eggs were my challenge. How to put enough by to keep everyone happy over winter...LOL

Good call on the baking. I don't make paleo/primal baked goods, but I do want to experiment with that to make this year's holiday season a little easier for me. I really can't eat wheat anymore, messes up my system too much, and it's going to be very tempting at that time of year!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hmm... I don't know what I'd use apple butter for, but my toast-eating family might enjoy it. That seems like a lot of sugar, I wonder if sweeter apples would require as much, or if it's needed for a slight carmelization (the color change seems to indicate that to me)?

So if the jars seal from being hot and having the hot apple butter/sauce added, then cooling together, does that mean they'll last for a couple years without having to boil (process) again? That would be really convenient, because then I could sanitize the jars in the oven or dishwasher, then keep warm in the oven, instead of getting a special wire rack to keep them off the bottom of my pot. I'm all about doing it cheaply
    I used a hot water bath when canning apple butter, it's safer. Then you could keep them for a couple of years if they lasted that long...never a problem in my house.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Good call on the baking. I don't make paleo/primal baked goods, but I do want to experiment with that to make this year's holiday season a little easier for me. I really can't eat wheat anymore, messes up my system too much, and it's going to be very tempting at that time of year!
    Now I'm thinking I want to try apple butter and nuts in some paleo combo. We used to put whole cored apples, butter, cinnamon, nuts and raisins in a cast iron dutch oven on top of the wood stove during winter...OMG...simple and wonderful.

I hear you on the grain intolerance..I'm the same. I could see the above wood stove concoction with some of your great yoghurt on top...making my mouth water!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast