Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Walking page 4

jakeb is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have random days where I might walk as much as 10 kilometers. Never had any negative side effects, other than maybe not getting any work done.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Here's a friend of mine's opinion about shoes. He has hiked both the PCT and the CDT now.
    Shroomer - Continental Divide Trail Journal - 2012

This is another friend of mine who has section hiked the PCT and has a lot of interesting opinions about shoes and other backpacking gear.
    SteelEye's 2007 Pacific Crest Trail Journal, Part of Trail Journals' Backpacking and Hiking Journals

This guy hiked the Appalachian Trail in Chacos. Needed only a couple of pairs. I wish they put those soles on Chacos now. That's the thing I hate the most about my Chacos, that the soles just have no traction for hiking.
    Backpacking in Chaco Sandals Source to Sea
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    great articles.

I tend not to long-distance hike (AT, etc), but we do a fair number of hikes that range from a couple of hours to a full day, and I enjoy them. I tend to do them in my vibrams, which I like.

When I did katadan (sp?) back in the day, I basically wore beat-up sneakers, and discovered that I much prefer 'trail shoes' or sneakers to boots and the like. These days, I'd like to just get good at the old vibrams.

a friend of mine hiked in hers for several days straight (her vibrams that is), and didn't do well, but I later learned from her that she only wore them about 2x a week for exercise, and isn't like me -- who basically wears them whenever she's wearing shoes and then is barefoot the rest of the time anyway. so when I have done hikes on consecutive days on varied terrain, i do ok, but she apparently didn't.

i think that, like running in them, you have to become accustomed first.

-sigh- not sure if my body is just healing or what, but iv gained back 3 lbs. Iv been under my calories all week and have done decent on food. had a little ice cream 2 days this past week. I have been without grains completely for 13 days, tomorrow being my 2 weeks =)
    I got a bike. Did 3 miles yesterday, got in 12 miles walking this week. took 2 days off, plus taking today off. so 3 days off to heal.
    I know my body is most likely repairing all the bad i have done to it for 27 years, but i wish i was seeing weight loss every day!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    don't worry about it texasblackrose (TBR from now on. lol). In the early days, your main focus should just be getting the diet sorted (figuring out the basics), and getting the exercise and sleep sorted.

After the first 2-3 months, once you feel comfortable with the basics, then we can start troubleshooting what might be a good way to go for the next phase, if the basics aren't getting you the results that you want.

So, 13 days -- excellent! Still way too early to be overly concerned about anything other than getting into good habits.

When we hit 60 or 90 days, then we'll chat about it all. Try not to focus on the scale for now (maybe weigh yourself once a week or once a month and see how it goes).

catrice.ailget is offline Junior Member
    Regular walking carries many health benefits for people of all ages, including: reduced risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and other chronic diseases; lower health care costs and improved quality of life.

henrystane is offline Junior Member
    Walking is the best exercises of the human begin. If the people walk two kilometer in the day then he/she will have good health. In morning we have to walk fast and at evening after dinner we have to go for walk it would be very good for health.
    personal trainers in ct

Jude Turner is offline Junior Member
    I usually walk 3 KM daily. I want to increase but can't.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think one of the most underrated aspects of long, slow walks for beginners is the fact that people often do them when they are most bored, which coincidentally is the same time when they might be tempted to snack if they were a few steps from the refrigerator.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    Not sure you will gain much muscle walking alone

Just an observation.
    You can. When I was younger sometimes I would walk for hours and hours in a day, and my legs got rock hard with muscle.
    So I do believe you can gain muscle with walking, but it is probably going to require 3 hours+ per day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast