Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Walking page 3

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Walking is important in so many more ways than just weight loss. Your heart is a muscle. Walking will help build that muscle. Walking helps bone density. Walking improves lung function. Besides which, it is just so satisfying.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    I love walking! I walk just over 2 miles a day, back and forth to work, and then around town on the weekends. So that takes me to 14 miles/week on average.

When I was first new to Vienna, when I pulled a 4-5 mile/day I felt it the next day. But now when I walk that much, I'm just fine.

If the 2 miles is bothering you, then don't worry, your body will adjust. If walking becomes less challenging, then walk faster, more briskly. If you're on a treadmill, then just raise the incline. Eventually as the incline increases, you can pretend that you're walking the hills of San Francisco.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i am hugely into walking. i do a minimum of 4 miles a day. a dog is a great excuse to be out at all hours and in all weathers. i love hills so my treat when i dont have the kids is to go for a 12 - 16 mile hike in the hills. natural movement patterns are so important for strengthening all your stabilising muscles which in turn help prevent injury and walking up hill and down dale over all sorts of terrains is part of that so keep at it.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    If you have to spam at least read the book...frequent small meals and "just say no to fat"? PLEASE.

I started out at the same weight as you, texas...as a former (and future) long-distance hiker I have the same passion for walking and I think it's been a key element in losing fat along with diet and IF. I applaud your attitude and would just say to pay attention to body feedback--aches and pains are inevitable, but don't ignore persistent discomfort in the same area as injuries suck!

I had to start with small walks (<1 mi) and build up gradually to longer/steeper daily hikes. I also had several embarrassing falls that sprained ankles/shoulders/elbows...momentum is a killer when you're that heavy. Happened because I got distracted and wasn't paying attention where I was putting my feet...guess that falls under the "avoid stupid things" primal rule.

I'd keep a sharp eye on overall energy level too--it's great to know you're burning fat, but you don't want your metabolism slowing down from overtraining. It's something I struggle with continually, because you do get very used to racking up the miles and being outdoors most days, and it just feels wrong to take any kind of extended break. If I have a couple of slow/sluggish days I force myself to take a few rest days and eat extra hearty until I'm jonesing to get out on trail again.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

thank you everyone. I ended up walking 3 miles yesterday, and hardly got in 4 today, i was dieing, so im going to make myself rest the next 2 days and heal. but, im down 15lbs now =)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    way to go texasblackrose! keep right on going. you're doing great!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome! Nice work, and good on you for also recognizing when you should take a rest day.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My opinion on shoes is that you don't need arch support and all that jazz. Simple shoes will do just fine. Breathable mesh is best. If you are going to do a lot of walking and hiking, you should consider buying them a size bigger than you are used to. If they are snug around the arch area then the extra length will make your toes happy and you won't slip around. My shoe size went up several sizes while hiking the PCT. Some of that was muscle and skin and reduced when I got home. But some of it was my feet spreading out and was a permanent increase. I have spaces between all my toes now.
    I run and hike in minimalist shoes and walk for miles in flip flops. I thought this would be bad for my feet, but I've had absolutely no problems and my ankles are stronger than back in the actual tennis shoe days. I’ve actually started to notice strange new muscles in my calves, as well.

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Thank you Shbikes and Heatherdarbs for your opinion on shoes! My feet seem to agree to you , my relatively cheap and simple sandals are my absolute favorite but the weather is getting a little chilly. My job changed however, so i have to wear "fancy" shoes. But I could of course take them with me to the office!

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    And well done, Texasblackrose! Relaxing is as important as excercise, smth I only learned after months and you just do it already!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast