Thread: Trouble with Fish Sauce? page

merryish is offline Senior Member

Trouble with Fish Sauce?

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone else noticed any digestive issues with Fish Sauce?

I made a very simple stir fry last night - grass-fed beef, onion, broccoli, red bell pepper, my usual seasonings profile. And then I added Fish Sauce to it, just as an experiment. About two hours after eating it, my digestive system was wrecked. It's still not great, and even this morning, it occasionally sounds like a very bad thunderstorm is taking place in my stomach.

The ingredients were extremely simple - anchovy, salt, sugar and water. And only a very little bit of sugar. I didn't use much, either - maybe two tablespoons, max. The meat was brand new and cooked to just past medium.

I can't think of anything else I ate yesterday that could have caused it; I skipped breakfast, had avocado and lime for lunch, and drank some coffee with HWC. Kind of a typical day for me, actually.

I'm just wondering if it maybe had some hidden gluten in it or something. Ugh.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I use it regularly. Nothing to report
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Use it all the time and have never had any problems. How are you determining it was the fish sauce and not something else?

That said, fish sauce is fermented, and fermented products always have the chance to go bad. When in doubt, throw it out.

merryish is offline Senior Member
    My suspicion falls on the fish sauce because yesterday was an IF day for me, and it was the only new item on the menu. So I didn't eat much at all, and what I did eat consisted of the same fresh grassfed beef, fresh vegetables and fresh fruit I always eat.

Same for the day before, minus the IF part.

Definitely throwing it out, but I may experiment again (on a WEEKEND) because it was tasty.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Maybe you just ate too much on an empty stomach.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3