Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unidentified Possible Injury page

TheTeddy is offline Member

Unidentified Possible Injury

Shop Now
    Today I was stretching my right hamstring. A standard stretch, one leg tucked in and the other extended, then lean forward. As I brought my face down to my knee, the upper right side of my abdomen tightened up and became hard. It was very uncomfortable, and fairly hard. It went away after a few seconds, but when I stretch my abs that area feels sore. This has happened about three times now, the last was a year ago. Any thoughts on what this is?

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    You could very well be pregnant ????? LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Wouldn't that be awkward. Seeing as I'm a dude. Must've happened in my sleep. :P

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    yep I picked up on the dude thing. Just an old Gwamma trying to be funny !!!!!!!!!
    .....and one day it might be possible ! look out boyz
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It's a cramp. One thing that forbids me from doing flexibility exercises like that. Anytime I bend over too far my abs turn rock hard. It hurts for a day or two afterward every time. So I quit doing it. Ta-daa!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    The way you describe it, it could be your quadratus lumborum muscle, typically exercised in side planks. but i know how "upper right side" you felt it, so it also might not be this muscle. If it hurts more and is sore, you could try some mild heat
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I have experienced the same thing... it is a muscle cramp, imho.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Thank you all for your responses. Love the community here

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    There are other stretches you can do for hamstrings. There are lying ones; there are even partenered ones.

I think it's an interesting reaction. I wonder if you're doing the stretch quite right. I also wondered if your stomach muscles might be over-tight. But I don't know.

You might ask Dr. Stark for an opinion on this one. His book on stretching is very informative, and he does take questions on his website -- see the section "Blog and Q & A":

Dr Steven D. Stark - Podiatry, Orthotics, Sports Medicine - Vancouver, White Rock — Blog

Probably a good site for any primal to bookmark.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Or you could forget the hamstring stretching and try some myofascial release with a foam roller. Lots have people have what they think are tight hammys when in reality, it is the body compensating for something else.

Here's something to try.

Check the angle of hip flexion you can achieve, 85deg is considered 'normal' range of movement. I am often at 70deg on the left leg.

Foam roll your calf from achilles up, rolling up 2 inches and back one inch. Also do the inside and outside of the calf. Work your way up to just below knee.

Then roll over and do the quad from the knee up, again 2" up, 1" back. After 4 cycles, swing the leg laterally each way, to help with the release. Then, deep breath in, flex at the ankle to 90deg keeping pressure on the roller and exhaling.

When you get to the top of the thigh, roll 45 deg to hit the Tensor Fascia Latae muscle, roll that, but rock from side to side after 4 cycles, still do the knee flexion.

You will likely find another 10 -15 deg of hip flexion with the leg straight. So your hamstring are improved without going anywhere near them.

It's an odd thing, but it really works. Kind of proves that other muscles can play a big part in tension in other areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast