Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Body by Science page 5

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Thanks neckhammer. I was unsure about the cadence. I'll shoot for 8-10 seconds for positive and negative.

A 10/10 cadence should give 6 reps for that time target. Is that enough reps. I take it you are only working out once a week? I actually thought it was twice a week. If its only once a week ill still be doing my hill bike work and mobility work.

Richard

The recommendations are 2x/week for beginners, 1x/week for intermediate to advance....There is no rule against other types of "workouts", just that this should be your only scheduled HIT resistance work. I still do random pushups, pullups, sprints, hikes, and I ALWAYS (every day) do at least some spinal mobility work. Old spinal injuries....I never miss my adjustments or my daily mobility work.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    I take it u drop to one session a week when u feel strength / size gains slowing?

R u happy hitting only 6 reps along as the TUL is long enough?

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^ I'm happy with a 60-90s TUL(3-6 reps), but this is quite individual and you may have to find your own zone. You always see strength/size gains slow as you progress. Not because you reduce frequency, but because you no longer have those "easy beginner" gains to make. The reduced frequency is a function of actually having more muscle that needs repaired.....at intermediate-advanced you will just need more time to recover due to the amount of damage there is. A lean 250lb man performing HIT to failure will injure/tear down more muscle in a session than a lean 125lb man. More time to repair is a necessity.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I'll shoot for 8-10 seconds for positive and negative.
    Richard, They emphasise ssmoooooth in the book. Minimum of five seconds each way under load. The suggestion appeared to be 5-7 seconds is fine but it must be smooth and definitely no locking out of joints or resting. I find that I can be smooth at six seconds. Seven reps at that rate is 84 seconds. When they're talking about a maximum of about 90 seconds under load per exercise, that's pretty close. When I get to seven reps, I up the weight and start again.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

LowCarbMaster is offline Junior Member
    I love this thread. I've been doing the Body By Science for a month now and it's working out great. One thing I might add is limb size. People with shorter limbs lifting for 10 seconds are different than people with longer limbs lifting for 10 seconds. Those with shorter limbs will actually be moving slower. That's something to think about as well.

Thanks guys. I loved the first session and am ready to hit it hard tomorrow. I know its personal choice so Im going to shoot for 8 seconds positive and 8 seconds negative and around 90seconds. 6 reps giving me 96 seconds.

Ill go with that and see how it feels.

Smooth all the way, no pause or bouncing.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

I loved the first session and am ready to hit it hard tomorrow. I know its personal choice so Im going to shoot for 8 seconds positive and 8 seconds negative and around 90seconds. 6 reps giving me 96 seconds.

Ill go with that and see how it feels.

Smooth all the way, no pause or bouncing.
    If your'e able to manage 6 reps for 96 seconds, smooooth, you will probably need to up the weight. As I said, mine goes up when I hit 7 reps at about 6 seconds each way.

Definitely go with how it feels to you. Don't forget that your recovery time may will not be the same as many other people's. Mine's definitely more than five days, and I'm beginning to suspect it might be more than seven.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Hey guys, just checking in. Third session completed this morning. Great improvements, on rows I went from 75 seconds last time to 102 seconds this time.

I'm shooting for 90 seconds before I up the weight, nothing has fallen below 65 seconds yet.

I hear what your saying Nigel, but today I honestly stopped counting reps on a couple of occassions. That might not be the right thing to do, but I was focused on rep speed and quality reps and forgot how many id done (though obviously I can figure it out knowing how long the set went on for).

For chest today I fought hard (I could feel every fiber shaking from about rep 2). I got to the point were I hit the wall and spent about 5-10 seconds trying to fight through it before I failed.

Here's a question (seems daft asking for help, I train other people, but know very little about HIT methods), you guys stick with the same movements and when your progress slows you take more rest days between sessions. Have you ever thought of switching movements instead? Or maybe even alternating back and forth between two different exercises for each body part?

Also, I assume u don't add in any arm work at all?

I'm not looking to change anything, just curious. I am sure the book will answer this, its on its way.

Richard

I hear what your saying Nigel, but today I honestly stopped counting reps on a couple of occassions. That might not be the right thing to do, but I was focused on rep speed and quality reps and forgot how many id done (though obviously I can figure it out knowing how long the set went on for).

Here's a question (seems daft asking for help, I train other people, but know very little about HIT methods), you guys stick with the same movements and when your progress slows you take more rest days between sessions. Have you ever thought of switching movements instead? Or maybe even alternating back and forth between two different exercises for each body part?
    Counting reps while concentrating on the timing and breathing was hard for me.

When progress slows or stops it could be for at least a couple of reasons. One is that you are over training, another is you just may not be in the mood and a third is you are getting close to your maximum. I had a couple of weeks where I didn't shift with pull downs. Then, I started doing pull downs first and we got movement but seated row slowed up. I have heard of people who split the Big Five over two weeks. Progress may then slow up but one should almost never over train. I have never been bothered about the speed of my progress just so long as I do improve eventually. Having said that, I am now moving on to body weight exercise with You Are Your Own Gym. I worked out that the time I spend walking to the gym, chatting to people and doing my workout meant that I could be at home working out four or five times a week, in the dry if it is raining. I still get low level exercise as I walk a mile or so in to town every week day to get the shopping and carry it home in a rucksack.

Lawbat is offline Senior Member

Bbs

Been doing BBS for a few months now. Generally like it-- no injuries, feels amazing, completely exhausted afterwards.

However, definitely don't make "progress" the way I used to using "normal?" lifiting protocols.

A difference of a few seconds of TUL can make a HUGE difference in the workout, and it's tough to measure accurately without a partner w/ a stopwatch.

It's taken a fair bit for me not to find that extremely frustrating, and I'm not quite there yet.

Also notice rather significant differences depending on carb levels and other extrinsic factors that didn't normally affect my workouts all that much.

Makes sense, it's longer periods of hard work (and maybe longer periods of harder work). But it's still really hard to wrap my brain around.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast