Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Body by Science page 4

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    you don't need less weight. You need more time. Time allows the muscles to heal. Then we break them down again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Considering I didn't give myself a full week...maybe that's the case. I figured I wasn't doing it properly and so maybe wasn't going to complete failure and maybe two times would work out to start.

Going to give myself a weeks break this time and see if the weight increases.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

I am looking forward to seeing your results

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I've began doing short HIT training in the late 70's. So I have a lot of experience with this stuff. Mike Mentzer suggested increasing the rest period while doing personal training to get his hard gainers to make progress. That's where Doug McGuff originally gets the longer rest periods. But don't get so hung up on stimulating the development in one short workout between rest periods. For example, you could do a full body workout on both Monday and Tuesday using a verity of different exercises that emphasis different muscle groups and then give yourself the 7-10 days, or more, off until the next workout. What matters is managing the load stress and required rest periods over a giving training block. I think it's helpful to block in a training period that puts you into over reached training once or twice a year. Prioritizing train blocks over a year is still important to someone wanting max results.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

catrice.ailget is offline Junior Member
    Well....
    I found that it seems to have maintained my strength, weight, body fat %, etc. with only the short weekly workout, but I am stagnant. I'm not getting any stronger or any lighter. I have not changed any other aspect of my lifestyle; sleep, diet, supplements, stress level have all been constant.

Quote Originally Posted by catrice.ailget View Post
    Well....
    I found that it seems to have maintained my strength, weight, body fat %, etc. with only the short weekly workout, but I am stagnant. I'm not getting any stronger or any lighter. I have not changed any other aspect of my lifestyle; sleep, diet, supplements, stress level have all been constant.
    What exercises are you doing and what is your load and TUL?

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catrice.ailget View Post
    I found that it seems to have maintained my strength, weight, body fat %, etc. with only the short weekly workout, but I am stagnant.
    The question I have to ask is "Are you really getting to muscle inroad?" when you are shifting weights. I found that it is very hard to do when on my own with nobody to count the reps, make sure I am using correct form and perhaps even provide some encouragement.

I count calories to ensure I lose weight. After 46lbs I have hit a plateau, and, the increases in weight or reps has slowed down too. But, it is obvious that I have gained some 50% strength since the end of June and I do believe my waist size is still going down.

Because of the weight loss plateau and the fact that I do not feel hungry, I think I will try doing some more lengthy physical activity to chew up calories and see if that restarts the weight loss process as I am sure I still have 20 or more pounds of fat to get rid of.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    Hey guys and gals

Iv just started bbs. The book is getting ordered.

I went for an 8 second positive and an 8 second negative on all movements. Is this too much (id also heard people use 5 seconds)?

The minimum reps I managed was 6. I kept the 8second cadence going the whole time. I was pleased as I actually reached positive muscular failure before I was unable to maintain that negative pace.

I managed 2.40 seconds for shoulder press. I managed 1.36 for chins. When should I be upping the weight?

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Hey guys and gals

Iv just started bbs. The book is getting ordered.

I went for an 8 second positive and an 8 second negative on all movements. Is this too much (id also heard people use 5 seconds)?

The minimum reps I managed was 6. I kept the 8second cadence going the whole time. I was pleased as I actually reached positive muscular failure before I was unable to maintain that negative pace.

I managed 2.40 seconds for shoulder press. I managed 1.36 for chins. When should I be upping the weight?

Richard
    You will get a handle on the weights needed over the course of a few workouts, but in the beginning I shot for 90-120 second with a 10/10 cadence (upped weight when hit 120). I later went to 60-90 seconds (upped when hit 90) except with legs which I kept around 120 sec. Each person has a particular mix of muscle fibers and that tends to determine you best TUL. But, I see no problem in mixing it up.

The cadence is a good place to start and I like superslow, but the most important part is the turnarounds. You could do a faster cadence as long as you are conscious of not bouncing in or out of the turnarounds ....i.e. the tension is CONSTANTLY on the muscles you are working and you never use you joints like rubber bands to build momentum. The bottom line is intensity.

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    Thanks neckhammer. I was unsure about the cadence. I'll shoot for 8-10 seconds for positive and negative.

A 10/10 cadence should give 6 reps for that time target. Is that enough reps. I take it you are only working out once a week? I actually thought it was twice a week. If its only once a week ill still be doing my hill bike work and mobility work.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast