Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Body by Science page 3

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    since you are starting out pay attention to how long it takes your soreness to go away. If you are still sore you haven't recovered from the previous workout.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Makes sense It's Tuesday and I have barely any soreness left. We'll see. Thanks for the tips.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    Yeah I only thought that two workouts a week would be fine because I'm not sure I did the exercise properly and reached positive failure. Considering how new to this I am I think I probably stopped short. If I feel anything lingering maybe I'll skip it but I want to see if I can tell anything.

Supposedly if you get to failure your at the point where your actually a bit weaker until you recover. If I haven't recovered by Wednesday or Thursday I'll have my answer. I'm only planning on twice a week for a few times...if I think I'm fully recovered.

If I do the exact same amount than I think that will be a sign that I was fully recovered...or if I do more.
    If you do more.
    The reason why I went from the big 5 to the big 3, is smaller muscles were fatigued before I did the next exercise. If I did my chest press I had a better time but not the shoulder press. That is why I went to the 3.

Failure to exceed your previous lifts, is due to the fact you haven't given yourself enough time to recover.

Failure means damage to your muscles. You need time to heal.

Your right if I do more than it would be evidence I waited long enough. Good point. Sadly this fitness room is missing the equipment for chest press and overhead press. I can do a pulldown, less press, and seated row
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Do I need to lower the weight or just increase time between workouts? I need to read Body by Science again I think....I forget things too easy...I think I know what to do but not sure.

My first BBS workout after finding out a starting weight ended in 7 reps at 90 lb 1:30 TUL Seated Row, 12 reps 200 lb 1:30 TUL Leg Press, and Pulldown 10 reps 70 lb 1:50 TUL.

My second was Seated row 90 lb 7 reps 1:05 TUL, No Leg Press Machine, 60 lb 12 rep 2:00 TUL Pulldown, 95 lb 7 rep 1:10 TUL Shoulder Press

So whats next?

I'm thinking I need to reduce weight and/or allow more recovery for Seated row, and increase weight for the pulldown?

I hate being new to stuff feel so lost...
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 09-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087

I may be missing something here... correct me if I am wrong.
    Seated row was 25 seconds less, but the same number of reps and weight.
    What was the "10 reps, 70lbs 1:50lbs TUL" in the first workout? Is that the shoulder press?

Would you confirm the order of the exercises. That too makes a difference.

Thanks

Yes, Seated row was 25 seconds less with the same reps and weight.

That was the Pulldown...forgot to label it.

I just realized my TULs may be meaningless at the moment...even though I started out intending to do a 10 sec cadence....I ended up doing free form ...just trying to do the movement at a steady pace and do it correctly. If my cadence was faster that probably accounts for the decrease in TUL on the Seated Row.

....I really have to have a set cadence for my numbers to mean anything...unless I'm thinking about it incorrectly....I mean number of reps at weight still means something but trying to stay within a 60-90 sec window without a standard cadence of 4 up 4 down or 10 up 10 down or whatever ......

If this thinking is correct let me know...also I would love for input on what my cadence should be...I need to read more on this. I've heard several different things from 10 sec positive ....not sure you can call it positive but the other part is called a negative...can't remember if there was another name for the first part...

I really like Body by Science but can't remember what they specifically recommended or why...guess I could go reread that for help.

Thanks for any and all advice as always look forward to it.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 09-17-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    I may be missing something here... correct me if I am wrong.
    Seated row was 25 seconds less, but the same number of reps and weight.
    What was the "10 reps, 70lbs 1:50lbs TUL" in the first workout? Is that the shoulder press?

Would you confirm the order of the exercises. That too makes a difference.

Thanks
    Order was

Seated Row
    Leg Press
    Pulldown

Seated Row
    Pulldown
    Shoulder Press

Recreation center one had a leg press, but no shoulder press and recreation center two had a shoulder press but no leg press.

Neither has a Chest Press .....the second has a barbell that I lifted 10 times with 50 pounds on it...but don't feel comfortable doing without a spotter...as I'm inexperienced...I could just use light weights to make sure I'm fine but couldn't go to failure...I don't know. Really annoying they don't have the Big 5 or even the Big 3.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 09-17-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087

The cadence should be at a speed that you are comfortable with. Even though Dr. McGuff likes a slow one, there is no evidence that rep speed effects muscle growth.

It is hard to go TUL and reps. Use one or the other, again whichever you feel comfortable with. I like TUL but that is a personal choice. Usually you take more time off between sessions if you aren't reaching a greater load each session.

If you have no chest press you can use push ups or use dumb bells. Dumb bells allow you to go to fatigue without dropping them on yourself. Just be prepared with the direction you will move your arms at failure so you don't screw up one of your joints.

Don't worry about the 60 to 90 second time. While that is a good zone your body will find the natural time you want to shoot for before up the weights.

With your upper body try and incorporate a push and pull each session. First session do the pulldown and shoulder press. Next session do the row and chest press. it will to a better work out.

Hop this helps.

Thanks for the thoughts Vick Yes, it helps greatly.

I think I'll just do reps...TUL would be fine with a personal trainer/person who knows what they are doing...maybe if I can get my brother to workout with me at some point...

Until than trying to run a timer and stuff is just more work than I would like. So if I do more reps than I can increase weight. If I do less I need to either take a bigger break or reduce weight....final thing I need to clarify...is there a way to know which I need? Failing to do a higher number of weight could either mean I need more recovery or that I need to do less weight...how am I supposed to know the difference again?
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast