Thread: Confused over lipid panel page

fv9
    fv9 is offline Junior Member

Confused over lipid panel

Primal Fuel
    I have been lurking around this site for a few years and have read Primal Blueprint. I can't say I have gone 100% paleo, but I can say I have cut processed carbs out of my life (aside from the rare occasional cheat). Anyhow, a few years ago I was 36, had a young daughter, and was 6'3" 235lb. Total cholesterol was around 215 (low HDL, high LDL, high triglycerides from what I recall). After cutting out carbs I dropped to 220 in a matter of months and added some cardio (mainly elliptical). I also began exercising much more regularly and made it down to 210. All this time my Dr. had me on Simvastatin.

Last spring my fasting glucose was 117 which obviously scared me. My cholesterol was excellent per my Dr (140 total) so I went off of it. Well, today I had my lipid profile checked and my panel came back. Total cholesterol of 271, Triglycerides of 184, HDL of 54, LDL of 143, and VLDL of 217. First of all, this shocks me. I have been busting my a$$ working out and have actually gone up to 215 due to weight training (Les Mills Pump, walks, etc...no more endless cardio). I have become even more paleo (although not 100% there). Now, my Dr wants me back on statins. Im not so sure, but very alarmed and feel like I need to do something. Heck, my fasting glucose is only down to 113...can't explain that). Im now 38, two great kids, in the best shape I have been in since high school and the numbers seem so out of whack for where they should be. I have read the Definitive Guide to Cholesterol and Griff's posts, but Im feeling like there is something wrong. Does anyone have any input on this? Could these numbers even be correct (thought VLDL was 20% of LDL for instance). Do I need a Berkeley or VAP test? Thanks for any advice.

-Confused

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    You may want to experiment with cutting carbs even further. If anything, it should at least help the triglyceride level. Is dairy still in your diet as well? You could play around with that.

Are you getting enough antioxidants in your diet? I'd consider your veggies and stick largely to the ones that have the highest antioxidant levels. You could also consider adding tea and yerba mate and even some dark chocolate to up antioxidant levels. High antioxidant levels definitely equate to less LDL (and in particular VLDL).

Another thing you should DEFINITELY do is lower omega-6 fats as much as possible. The reason for this is because polyunsaturated fats oxidize easily and this is the last thing you want if you have a high level of LDL cholesterol.

I can't explain your results, and we can't consider any of these suggestions to be magic bullests, but they should be able to help you out in a noticable way.

fv9
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You may want to experiment with cutting carbs even further. If anything, it should at least help the triglyceride level. Is dairy still in your diet as well? You could play around with that.

Are you getting enough antioxidants in your diet? I'd consider your veggies and stick largely to the ones that have the highest antioxidant levels. You could also consider adding tea and yerba mate and even some dark chocolate to up antioxidant levels. High antioxidant levels definitely equate to less LDL (and in particular VLDL).

Another thing you should DEFINITELY do is lower omega-6 fats as much as possible. The reason for this is because polyunsaturated fats oxidize easily and this is the last thing you want if you have a high level of LDL cholesterol.

I can't explain your results, and we can't consider any of these suggestions to be magic bullests, but they should be able to help you out in a noticable way.
    THanks, Drum. Yes, no dairy at all. Got rid of that a long time ago. I probably should be upping the vegetables. Beer is the one carb I have hung onto, but not at extreme levels. Perhaps 6 beers per week (which may be extreme to some). I prepare quite a bit of my meat foods on the Traeger smoker. Lots of smoke pulled pork, chicken with skin (wings, breast, thighs, drums, etc), those types of things. Perhaps I need to go back and reevaluate? Also, plenty of stirfrys in coconut oil (mainly chopped up skinless chicken breast and frozen vegetables).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Have it drawn a few more times, at different times of the day. Average the results for a better idea of what's really going on.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Stop. Trying. To determine. Anything. With. Standard. Lipid. Panels.

Start Here: The straight dope on cholesterol

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What everyone else has said but I also understand if you have been dropping weight that can mess up your results as well.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

fv9
    Turns out I did not hear the nurse correctly. Lipids are as follow:
    Total - 271; Triglycerides - 184; HDL - 54; LDL - 142; VLDL - 37; Non HDL Chol - 217. Given this, would it makes sense to move forward with an NMR to see wht is making up the LDL?

Of course, my greater concern is the fasting blood glucose of 113. Don't know why its that high.
    Last edited by fv9; 09-07-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fv9 View Post
    Turns out I did not hear the nurse correctly. Lipids are as follow:
    Total - 271; Triglycerides - 184; HDL - 54; LDL - 142; VLDL - 37; Non HDL Chol - 217. Given this, would it makes sense to move forward with an NMR to see wht is making up the LDL?

Of course, my greater concern is the fasting blood glucose of 113. Don't know why its that high.
    Dr Richard Bernstein has a one hour lecture available on YouTube. It is broken into 6 parts. My lipid profile is close to yours (or was
    when I last checked it a year ago). I am also very insulin resistant. Dr Bernstein is a 74 year old genius who arguably knows more about diabetes than anyone else in the world. As a young man, his TC was so high he still has grey rings in his eyes. Today his lipid numbers are unbelievably good. He has accomplished that through severe carb restriction and intense exercise. Please take the time to listen to his lecture. You will be glad you did.