Thread: Choosing a cooking fat. page

liminal_luke is offline Member

Choosing a cooking fat.

Primal Fuel
    Diane Sanfilippo, of balancedbites.com and now practical paleo fame, has a chart on her website where she ranks the relative safety of various cooking fats. Coconut oil and tallow win the top two slots followed by butter, lard, and then olive oil.

I've been cooking mostly with olive oil but I'm thinking of switching it out for butter or lard based on her recommendation. I'm in Mexico so lard is easy to get and cheap but I doubt it's pasture raised. Ditto for butter--the pasture raised stuff I can get at the organic grocery store is exorbitantly priced.

What do you think? Should I keep the olive oil for salads only and switch my cooking oil out to non-ideal forms of butter and/or lard? I can get coconut oil and do use it occasionally but it's also expensive as an everyday oil. Thanks!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    We've been cooking mainly with tallow which we rendered when we bought half a cow. You may be able to buy fat from a butcher or directly from a rancher and render it yourself. I would think most small time ranchers would pasture raise their cows. It wouldn't be certified but that's typically how they are raised on small operations.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I have an abusive relationship with my coconut oil.

Fried eggs or an omlete with that deliciously coconutty flavor... *drools*

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Carnitas.... pork cooked in pork fat... it doesn't get much better than that. With fresh guacamole of course!
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You can likely just buy grass-fed suet from local ranchers and make you own. Call around. It's worth the effort. Tallow is my favorite by far.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil isn't ideal for cooking because it decomposes at a low temperature.

For beef, I use coconut oil.
    For vegetables, I use butter.
    For chicken, I usually make soup, so I don't use any fat.
    For salad, I use only lemon juice. I don't like oily leaves.
    About the only time I use olive oil is for tapenades and tomato + basil salads.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Do they do CAFO agriculture in Mexico? Do they do it for export or do they do it for your own supply chain? It may be that you don't have to seek out "grass-fed" or "pastured" or whatever the terminology would be for you if they don't even do feedlot/confinement feeding in your supply chain.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    You can't get your hands on some coconut oil? I use it for everything... I'd use organic butter if I could find some around me, but for now, the coconut oil is a lifesaver. Tasty, filling... mmm.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Olive oil isn't ideal for cooking because it decomposes at a low temperature.
    This is not even remotely true.

Olive oil stability under deep-frying cond... [Food Chem Toxicol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

It took commercial olive oil 24-27 hours of being subjected to deep frying temperatures before it degraded significantly. Premium quality extra virgin olive oil is going to hold up even better. Considering your average cooking time with be 15 minutes, and you probably won't be heating to deep frying temperatures much, your olive oil will hold up just fine with no issue.

I would rather cook with extra virgin olive oil than lard. Why? Lard has to be heated to extract the oil. Cooking with lard means you're cooking with fat that's been heated to significant temperatures. Olive oil is fresh - you aren't cooking with used oil. Plus, as an Italian, it's no surprise olive oil's flavor is my favorite.

If good quality extra virgin olive oil is the least expensive and most readily available cooking fat for you, you will be fine. Just make sure you fridge-test the olive oil to make sure it isn't black market and maintains the proper fatty acid profile. Put a fresh bottle in the fridge overnight at around 39-40*F. It should mostly solidify. If it stay perfectly liquid at that temperature, it's likely cut with cheap seed oils. Black market olive oil is pretty common.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Lard is great for frying at higher temperatures. I haven't gotten into the world of tallow just yet though I'd like to. I only use olive oil for salads mainly, or to make pesto or to drizzle in my soups. I love chicken fat and duck fat..... I've been known to trim off gratuidous chunks of fat off of meat to freeze and then use to melt down in my frying pans etc. I never throw away my bacon drippings! But yeah, I think for the most part natural lard is a good way to go!