Thread: Does wrist pain improve with training? page

Does wrist pain improve with training?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know a lot of people have experienced wrist pain during hands-on-the-floor exercises such as push ups, planks, and others. I also know there are ways to manage this by using your fists, hex dumbells, etc. My question though is - does it get better?

I've always had weak wrists it seems like, especially the left one which I sprained many years ago. I have weak joints in general actually and was diagnosed with a form of arthritis as a child but I don't really have it and found that it's linked to sulfite sensitivity and has gotten much better over the years. ANYWAY. I'm scared to push through when it comes to joints because I don't want to do damage, but if it's a weakness of the muscles or something like that and will improve with training, I'm willing to do that!

Last night I went to "boot camp" at the gym with my friend. I had to do bear crawl, crab walk, reverse bear crawl, sideways travelling plank things, seal walk (dragging your feet, walking on hands), plank (I did it on my elbows though), football jumps (plank position to jumping your feet up to next to your hands, and back), in and out pushups.... I was hurting by the end! I don't want my wrists to be the limiting factor when it comes to exercise. Can it get better, will it get better with practice and training, or is all wrist pain a no-no and I should avoid those things completely? Thanks for sharing your expertise!

{DH says it'll get better but he's off doing crossfit in Afghanistan and is WAY more hardcore than me so that sort of doesn't count...}
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    What kind of pain is it?

Does it feel internal?

Does it hurt or does it ache with any exercise?

Do you have any other signs of arthritis?

Best to get it check out before proceeding as you do not want to do lasting damage. If its signs of arthritis which happened to my OH with her knees it went away when she cleaned up her eating. The diet could be the key unless its actually a sprain or something along those lines.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Answer AdamC29's questions, but as long as it's not an "internal" pain you can do grip strength training to help improve your wrists.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    A temporary solution, depending on the activity, would be to tape or wrap them. You definitely want to do both grip and extensor work to strengthen everything, but that will take some time. Taping/wrapping may help cover the gap.

Also, depending on the surface, a lot of floor-based exercises can be done on your knuckles, like pushups, but that requires a different kind of conditioning.

ennaejay is offline Member
    I was having some wrist problems a couple weeks back on one of my lifts... I noticed that changing my form ever so slightly really helped to take some of the stress off the actual joint. If you know you're going to be doing another "boot camp" type class, you'll know to wrap first for support and modify some of your moves; if you're doing BW stuff or lifting you may have to try different form (wider or more narrow grip etc). I always believed that if a joint is giving a problem, then work on strengthening the muscles around the joint (forearms/grip in your case). Good luck!

Adam I'm not sure how to describe a type of pain but I'm pretty sure it's not a muscular pain; once it starts it hurts just to be putting pressure on my wrists like being a plank position without even going down into a pushup or anything else. I'd say it's internal; feels like the joint hurts, a bit on the right (inside) side. If I do enough stuff to make it hurt then it will hurt again anytime I put pressure on it in a bent position for a few days afterwards, but not with other stress like pulling. I no longer have any signs of arthritis - and even when I was diagnosed as a kid I never had swelling, redness, limited mobility, or any of the other symptoms, just pain. Now days the pain is very rare and none of my other joints hurt with exercise. Except my knee sometimes but I think I've got that problem on the way out the door.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll keep working on strengthening the muscles I guess and see how it goes over time. I just read PBF finally and will be doing that, so I don't know if I'll keep going to this class or not. Definitely not giving up zumba.
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    You might have hypermobile joints. I have that.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.