Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting... page

paul_b is offline Member

Fasting...

Primal Fuel
    I have never really fasted before. how do you approach it? I am guessing start with shorter ones? How often?

Paul

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I started by skipping one meal a week, for 2-3 weeks. Then several meals, but not in a row. Moved into skipping two consecutive meals, and kind of went from there. Now I eat a small breakfast, no lunch, and a huge dinner, every day. Usually about once a week I'll throw a 24 hour fast in there. Seems to be working for me, but it's taken a long time to get here, start slow, and do what works for you.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Do a search on 'intermittent fasting' in this forum. PKLopp did three excellent primers.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

paul_b is offline Member
    Thanks...I'll check it out.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You'll love it! It's great to just not need to eat. I still laugh at the shock on some of my coworkers' faces when I tell them I'm not hungry, I didn't bring lunch, and I don't need to eat all stinking day like a cow, because I'm not a cow, and I don't want to look like one!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I started fasting more for the convenience of not needing to be tied to food all the time more than I did for any health benefits. I started fasting while still on a CW diet. I do daily fasts and then eat one meal at about the 20 hour mark that is about maitinance level.

One advantage to eating one meal a day? You don't really every need to worry about consuming too much in one meal like you might if you know that you're tied to your next meal which is only four hours away. If you're eating primally, this is going to be quite hard for you to do to begin with, even with the temptation to go nuts with the food after one meal. All of that fat and protein will satiate you much faster than carbs will, so you will most likely stop before you hit your caloric allotment. Just make sure that you include plenty of veggies in that one meal! See the thread on breaking a 24-hour fast that has just been posted in order to get an idea of the kind of meal I'm talking about.

Unfortunately though, I cannot comment on easing into fasting. I kind of just jumped in full-tilt right from the begining. Unlike some people, I didn't find it that hard. Not that I am bragging, because I understand everyone is different. That was just the experience that I had.

You might actually want to try STARTING with a 24-hour fast to see how easy or hard it is for you. If you can make it without trouble, you're good to go. If you find that you don't make it very long, then you know you might want to ease into it a little slower.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-06-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I started by sliding breakfast out later and later, until I just didn't miss it. Then I gradually slid "lunch" - now my break-fast meal - out until it became about 3 pm. Then it became easy to just wait until after 5 and there you are -- dinner time. I generally fast about 18-20 hours per day, and, because I focus on adequate protein and minimal carb and plenty of fat, I am satisfied.

Note - I have a very busy, moderately stressful, job. I drank black coffee throughout the day (have for years), but I've finally quit that cold turkey. Had to - I "reduced" coffee lots of times, and kept going back to full tilt. But even now with water, and sometimes herbal teas, I can still drive on through the day. For me, the key is getting enough protein and generous fat to satisfy. I don't miss the carbs, though that may take time for you if you're not already fat-adapted. Based on record-keeping, I figured out that 65-105g protein per day works for me - very satisfying, and more is not better.

I'm currently trying to reduce the daily protein (see the EAT MOAR FAT! thread - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65113.html), but not terribly successfully yet.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    I think skipping breakfast is a good place to start. Keep pushing the time forward until you get to about noon. Try eating within an 8 hour window every day, then eventually try a 24 hour fast if you want.

I've experimented with 8 hour windows and even daily 5 hour windows. But I've eventually learned to be more intuitive about it. Now I just eat 2 meals per day, lunch and dinner. And I generally don't worry about exactly what time I eat. Then I'll work up to a 24 hour fast from time to time if I want to eat less.

What I have found to still be they key is eating the right foods that have low calorie densities and leave you feeling stuffed. As an example, if I do a 24 hour fast and eat fast food, I can eat 2000 calories and still feel a little hungry. On the other hand, if I eat egg whites and oatmeal at the end of the 24 hour fast, I will feel stuffed even though I only ate about 800 calories.

And that reduction in calories is really what you are looking for if you want to reap the benefits of fasting. A reduction in calories causes fat loss and will improve your health. And finding a comfortable way to accomplish this is what we are looking for. Junk foods too high in both fats and simple sugars can't be the right fit.

The other good benefit you will get from fasting is knowing that your life doesn't have to evolve around food. Skip a meal if you want and only good things will happen from it. You'll have plenty of time to do other things, fat loss will occur along with improved health, and you'll enjoy your main meals a lot more.
    Last edited by Ripped; 09-06-2012 at 11:56 PM.

paul_b is offline Member
    Solid info guys...thanks!!

merryish is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The key to fasting for me is sleep. The more tired I am, the hungrier I get. And it's a weird, recognizable hunger that feels very close to nausea. If I get 7-8 hours of sleep, I don't get particularly hungry until around lunch time, and even then the hunger is slight, manageable, and passes in about fifteen minutes. Then I'm fine till dinner.

If I get 6 hours of sleep, I really want lunch. If I get five, I feel sick to my stomach with hunger and have to stuff myself with breakfast.

Speaking from about three hours of sleep today for various reading-late-loud-cat-and-early-meeting-related reasons, I could happily eat everyone in this thread right now and still want lunch. I had 2 avocados and a handful of strawberries for breakfast, but it won't last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast