Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fasting... page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I followed what Kurt Harris used to recommend before he went off the deep end. And I still do it now. I drink coffee with heavy cream in the morning and try to push the time I have breakfast forward as far as I can. I usually only have two mugs plus a half a mug of bone broth. I don't like anymore than that. It's enough to push breakfast far enough ahead to where lunch can just be a small snack in the afternoon, or nothing. The other thing I have done is have a decent high protein/fat breakfast in the morning and not have any lunch and once a week, not have any dinner either. I find it easier to skip dinner than breakfast.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I followed what Kurt Harris used to recommend before he went off the deep end.
    How did he do that?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    How did he do that?
    Go off the deep end? Well it seems to me around the same time he added starches to his diet he became a slight to complete ass hat. He was always a bit arrogant in his MD status and looked down on any other health professional, but it seemed to get worse. I don't blame the carbs (correlation does not equal causation ;p) But either way, he has taken to removing posts and redefining himself as if he never was a low carb advocate. Hey, if you change your mind its one thing....just don't completely deny everything you ever where in the process. Both him and animal guy attributed a great deal of their health progress to reduced carbs .....(the animal guy even went as far as to say that his liver healed WHILE continuing to drink due to the reduction in carbs). I just think its a bit disingenuous to speak in such authoritative language .....change views.....then assume your authoritative "This is the answer" tone. Heck....he villified Don something or other for doing the exact same thing.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I'm a relative newcomer to his writings so obviously I'm completely unaware of that sort of revisionisom.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I'm a relative newcomer to his writings so obviously I'm completely unaware of that sort of revisionisom.
    Oh, I really shouldn't be so harsh. It kinda runs rampant in the blogosphere when someone changes their views. They go back and delete all the old data that pushed so hard for an alternate hypothesis. I would much rather see someone address their own old beliefs in a point by point style.

feren6 is offline Member
    The best way to go about fasting is to jump right into it. It make take a week or two to get used to it, but if you're having trouble, drink black coffee. It helps. A lot. Especially you're productivity.

I don't time my meals exactly, but I'll never eat until at least noon. And I'm used to it now, so it doesn't feel weird. In fact, it's awesome not having another decision to make in the morning of what to eat.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I would disagree with feren6 and say make sure that you are not eating so many carbs (whatever that level is for your body) that your body can't easily switch over to fat-burning when the carbs run out. I think you know you are at that point when you NATURALLY forget about eating a meal. Just, oops, it's dinner time, how did that happen?

Starting fasting when your body is still crying out for energy NOW and doesn't know how to get it, seems like you are setting yourself up for misery or failure.

And while coffee can be a good tool, if you NEED it to make it, you aren't ready yet.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    The other good benefit you will get from fasting is knowing that your life doesn't have to evolve around food. Skip a meal if you want and only good things will happen from it. You'll have plenty of time to do other things, fat loss will occur along with improved health, and you'll enjoy your main meals a lot more.
    The one "downside" of Primal and eating one (or two) big meal(s) a day is that I spend a LOT of time in the kitchen cooking and eating. Like probably 1.5 hours every day on average I would guess. So taking a day totally off from eating (like I did yesterday) gives me lots of free time. So much so that I almost don't know what to do with it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    How did he do that?
    I didn't even realize he'd recanted his whole low carb thing. I thought he went nuts when he started posting long rants about other people's criticisms of him on his blog. It was later I learned he'd stopped blogging and instead was posting long rants as comments on other people's blogs and recanting and removing some of his more helpful (they helped me anyway) old posts from his own blog.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12