Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider "once in a while" page

highvibes is offline Junior Member

What do you consider "once in a while"

Shop Now
    My son started kindergarten today and I was surprised to hear from other parents that they have pizza day EVERY WEEK. When I was in elementary school we had it ohhhhh, TWICE A YEAR! Does this not seem excessive? I posted about it on another forum and basically got told that if I don't like it, I don't have to participate (thanks Tips!) Is it just me or does this not strike anyone else as fundamentally wrong? I mean, I was all for letting my son have the odd pizza day but once/week? Apparently the schools make big $$$ offering this pizza day vs other types of fundraisers. A bunch of bear paw parents came down on me for thinking the school should be setting a better example by not offering it so often!?!? I mean, obviously I can opt out (and will!) but it's in their face as an accepted all-the-time food because IMO, weekly is NOT "once in a while" So, pardon the pun, but am I out to lunch or are they?

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Sadly, I think this what has become the "norm" in many schools today. As a kindergarten teacher myself, I see the poorest food choices everyday. Food and eating is a learned behavior.... So with that said, you can instill in your child what others aren't installing in theirs.

As far as lunch choices in schools go... Ugh don't get me started. Yes, schools are offering healthier choices and limiting their snacks, but there are still many kinks to work out.

You should pat yourself on the back for being such an aware parent who is in-tune with health and nutrition

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    My wife and son do a pizza night about once a month. Before I found the primal lifestyle I didn't think weekly was too much. You don't know what you don't know.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Our family has 'fish and chips' once a week. If you don't think that wheat is of the devil, Pizza once a week doesn't seem excessive.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    When I was in school (started elementary school in 1990 and graduated high school in 2003) Friday was "pizza day". Every Friday, from kindergarten through senior year. So, yes, it was weekly. I'm pretty sure that's "normal" nowadays.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

highvibes is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Our family has 'fish and chips' once a week. If you don't think that wheat is of the devil, Pizza once a week doesn't seem excessive.
    My son isn't wheat-free, so I definitely don't think it's the devil...he had a glutenous wrap today at lunch. I guess I just feel like the school should be setting a better example, especially to the littlies! I mean, it's one thing if I want to make the parental decision to feed my kid a less-than-nutritious meal at home, out or even sent to school... but something about them offering it weekly just rubs me the wrong way. But, I guess this is normal so I will deal with it. I'm hoping to be homeschooling soon anyways, I can just add this to my list of "Whys" lol

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    My wife and son do a pizza night about once a month. Before I found the primal lifestyle I didn't think weekly was too much. You don't know what you don't know.
    Well yeah, this. Before starting primally we'd have a once a week "junk food night" and didn't think much of it, because it was just once a week.

Since I've gone primal, I'm more inclined to think of a night of junk food as more of a "once a month" thing. Even so, I don't think I've taken my kids out for a junk food meal ONCE since starting primal almost 2 months ago!

The point is, I guess, to "most" people, pizza once a week isn't a big deal. When I was a kid I'd get a tuck shop lunch once a week, with a pie, pizza or whatever, and brought lunch from home the other days. (When I was a kid, once a week seemed to come around all too slowly as well ).

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    When it comes to junk food, pizza is probably one of the better choices.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    When living with my folks, every Saturday was pizza day.

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    When I was in school (started elementary school in 1990 and graduated high school in 2003) Friday was "pizza day". Every Friday, from kindergarten through senior year. So, yes, it was weekly. I'm pretty sure that's "normal" nowadays.
    Same. Every Friday night was pizza night until high school came around and I stopped wanting to hang out with my family on the weekends. I used to bring my friends over too, every time. I don't know if their parents knew why we always went to my place on Fridays. On the other hand, my family was very health oriented when I was young. I think Friday pizza night was one of our only conscious unhealthy habits. We didn't drink soda (one at special events) and we never had cheap snack food around. But, my parents were (and still are) at a very weird middle ground between CW and dietary enlightenment.

So, it depends. If pizza is your only vice and you eat it once a week, that's probably not going to kill you. If you eat 20 different kinds of junk food all "once in a while" then you just eat badly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast