Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-injured coccyx page

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member

Re-injured coccyx

Primal Fuel
    Hey y'all,

I fell on a wood floor and hurt my coccyx (tailbone) 6 years ago. I believe I perhaps fractured it, because it hurt to sit down for 8 months straight before the pain went away. 2 years ago I fell the same way and rehurt it. Eventually the pain went away. Now it's hurting me again, been painful for a week now and have trouble sitting. The only thing I can think of is that I sat back on that area too much during a weekend vacation in the mountains and/or that I strained nearby muscles ascending many stairs up Tallulah Gorge (if you have been there then you know).

My husband wants me to go to the doctor but I'm stubborn. But, it hurts, dang it. If you have hurt your tailbone before please give me your advice as to what you did to help with it. I don't want to go to the doctor because I don't think they can do anything anyway. Did you have any exercises that helped?

Thanks,
    Jenny

Edited to add: I just remembered a funny story about the first time I hurt my tailbone... after I hurt it I was texting my dad "I fell and hurt my coccyx" but my phone autocorrected the word coccyx to "cocaine". I was baffled as to why the phone would even be programmed to suggest the word cocaine! How many people text about that?!
    Last edited by aix_sponsa; 09-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Jenny, my 25 year old daughter was bucked off her horse three days ago. First buck put her down hard of the pommel of the western saddle, second buck put her onto the neck of the horse and then the ground. She has been in horrendous pain since, and I suspect that she has damaged her coccyx as well.
    No amount of encouragement from me can get her into the Doctors surgery. However I would suggest this also to you. I realise that Dr's can't really do much about damage to this area of the body, however wouldn't it be nice to know ?
    anyway good luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Hurt mine a few years ago when i fell snowboarding, it took ~ 18 months to come right. In the end I had a bowen therapy which seemed to help.

cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    I did that about 32 years ago and I still cannot sit for very long in certain chairs/seats

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I've badly injured my tailbone twice. Do NOT even consider removal, it will put you in a real state of misery. A friend of mine did this, and has suffered all kinds of problems since.

I've had big improvements from going to an osteopath. Highly recommend it.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aix_sponsa View Post
    My husband wants me to go to the doctor but I'm stubborn. But, it hurts, dang it. If you have hurt your tailbone before please give me your advice as to what you did to help with it. I don't want to go to the doctor because I don't think they can do anything anyway.
    But you don't have to take anything the doctor prescribes or follow his or her advice anyway. I don't see a downside to going.

You shouldn't actually sit on your coccyx, although many people do. You should sit on the ischial tuberosities, the "sitting bones":

Tuberosity of the ischium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! If it continues to hurt me I'll set up a doctor appointment and in the meantime I'll try to stay off of it as much as possible.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    In elementary school, a friend injured her coccyx (a boy snapping her bra, and she fell back into a concrete planter), and she had to use a blow up "doughnut" to sit all day in school. Just a suggestion for you when you sit. It's a bit embarrassing, but better than hurting.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    My vote is get an x-ray to confirm, see a physical therapist and/or chiropractor for treatment. Proper alignment and muscular support may help any existing problems and prevent future ones (unless, of course, you directly hit the coccyx again).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My vote is get an x-ray to confirm, see a physical therapist and/or chiropractor for treatment. Proper alignment and muscular support may help any existing problems and prevent future ones (unless, of course, you directly hit the coccyx again).
    I agree. You need to know if you are dealing with a fracture, a misalignment, or just a bruise.
    I slipped hiking a couple of years ago and hurt mine. Some yoga floor stretching type exercises helped get things mobile again. But this would not be a good idea for a while if there is a fracture involved. Finding out is best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast