Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Thoughts on using Smith Machines and Stronglifts 5x5 program in primal page

preacher is offline Junior Member

Any Thoughts on using Smith Machines and Stronglifts 5x5 program in primal

Ok so, here's my quandry two parts: My gym only has Smith machines for barbell workouts, there are no free weight barbells (my gym is a no body builder intimidation free facility) can the smith be used effectively for Primal workout squats, deadlifts, bench/ overhead press ect? My alternative is max weight 60lb curl bar and dumbells. Mx weight dumbell 85lbs I believe.

Question 2 : Anyone use Stronglift 5x5 program if so hows it working for you pro and con?

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by preacher; 09-06-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Try to find another gym. Smith machines will hurt your back
    well then

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    smith machines aren't ideal. when i used to go to the gym, i pretty much used them for how stationary they were, i.e. to do pull ups, or hanging stretches. the problem with using them for squats, dead lifts or bench presses is that they don't let the bar/weight move along a natural path. yeah, you can get stronger using them, but it's not as effective as the free weights.

i used to do stronglifts. it's a great program...i got a lot out of it. i only stopped doing it because i reached what i needed to in the beginner program. after that i switched to body weight workouts and left the gym completely. that was about two years ago, and i feel like i'm in much better shape now.

i would skip out of the gym all together if i were in your shoes...or find a better gym, if you really want to visit one. if i go to a gym now, it's because the weather sucks and i want to use some cardio equipment, or i'm with somebody, but i'll stick to body weight work, or mess around with the dumbbells in a gym like yours. you can get a great workout at a place like that (planet fitness?), but lifting heavy is tough unless you do some of the advanced body weight stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    smith machines aren't ideal. when i used to go to the gym, i pretty much used them for how stationary they were, i.e. to do pull ups, or hanging stretches. the problem with using them for squats, dead lifts or bench presses is that they don't let the bar/weight move along a natural path. yeah, you can get stronger using them, but it's not as effective as the free weights.

i used to do stronglifts. it's a great program...i got a lot out of it. i only stopped doing it because i reached what i needed to in the beginner program. after that i switched to body weight workouts and left the gym completely. that was about two years ago, and i feel like i'm in much better shape now.

i would skip out of the gym all together if i were in your shoes...or find a better gym, if you really want to visit one. if i go to a gym now, it's because the weather sucks and i want to use some cardio equipment, or i'm with somebody, but i'll stick to body weight work, or mess around with the dumbbells in a gym like yours. you can get a great workout at a place like that (planet fitness?), but lifting heavy is tough unless you do some of the advanced body weight stuff.
    I hear you, joined to support and enjoy working out with my wife and we just joined so leaving is not an option, guess I will take my chances and use what they have available.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Try to find another gym. Smith machines will hurt your back
    not a viable option for us, we just joined. I will use the dumbells and such and just do mostly body weight...I go for workout quality time with my wife who was not happy at the body builder gym in town. thanks for your thoughts.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Between a Smith Machine and body-weight work I would choose bodyweight all the way.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Yeah do bod weight. Or put your wife on your shoulders and squat. That's why do on vacation with my mom
    well then

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher View Post
    I hear you, joined to support and enjoy working out with my wife and we just joined so leaving is not an option, guess I will take my chances and use what they have available.
    going for support is great, and there's still a lot you can do in a gym like that. you can do plenty of slow moving on the bikes, ellipticals, rowers, treadmills, etc., and you can get in some kick ass sprint workouts on those machines...especially the bikes. and, you can do a bunch of strength exercises too:
    ground to overheads with dumbbells\
    snatches
    farmers walks
    weighted bulgarian split squats (very difficult)
    goblet squats
    weighted everything, such as push ups
    that axe chopping move

plus all the big movements using bodyweight, but using the gym equipment to make it more intense (if you're at that level), and plenty of plyo work.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    I always say this but I will say it again: It is not the equipment or the kind of workout you do. It is the effort you put into it. There has been a lot of muscle built on machines, smith machines and other equipment. Use what you have available and work with as much intensity as you can stand and you will see results. I will add, always be safe, use good form and avoid "explosive" movement.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Um, why would you avoid explosive movement? That makes no sense to me. Plyo work and such can be very useful.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast