Thread: Coconut oil allergy? page

Comma is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil allergy?

So I have vitilgo, a skin condition that reacts well to 'needling' - punching tiny little pinpricks into the skin. I do this every evening, after that I often apply CO which is supposed to be good for vitiligo. The pricked areas are a little itchy usually, gone in a minute. However, if I do use th CO, the skin gets REALLY itchy, and on my wrist and in the crook of my elbow it looks like a bad allergy test. So, obviously, I stopped the CO. However, does that mean I shouldn't eat it either? I think so, but'd be grateful for suggestions.....

Ottawa is offline Junior Member
    I would think so...the old skin prick test for allergies would show what a person was allergic to internally by way of the skin...it's not so much the surface of the skin but rather the foreign matter being allowed through the skin...

FWIW, I know a few people with coconut allergy, and it can be pretty severe. If you react that way to CO externally, I really wouldn't take the chance, but that's just me

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    It's not possible to have an allergy to an oil ... but you may have an allergy to traces of coconut protein in the oil.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    try a different oil for skin such as olive, grapeseed, or sunflower. a few drops of your favorite essential oil adds a nice touch

Okay, I'll toss the oil. Or maybe I'll run a control with olive oil or mineral oil or something...but yeah.

Not sure why CO is supposed to help with vitiligo, so maybe oilve oil does the trick too.

Why, paleo-bunny, can one not have an allergy to oil? Because all the proteins are gone? I know peanut people can still have peanut oil if its pure, so must be true....hm.

OK - a true allergic reaction to an allergen requires a response to a protein fragment as you intimate.

In terms of a more generalised reaction O6 oils can elicit a very reactive immune response.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    OK - a true allergic reaction to an allergen requires a response to a protein fragment as you intimate.

In terms of a more generalised reaction O6 oils can elicit a very reactive immune response.
    That doesn't mean it won't irritate skin. I'm not allergic to citrus but it irritates my skin so i avoid it

But maybe that's because the oils from the citrus' skin irritate? Or the citrus itself.

When I eat CO, I'm fine. As far as it goes. I always feel like I'm in the middle of an allergic reaction. Could be the pepper oil I'm putting on the lesions, I think it's messing with me but really helps.

So ok Paleobunny, then no good? Think I should ditch the C-oil?

True. Citrus is histamine promoting. That has nothing to do with a true immune reaction. However, that's the reason why I avoid citrus.