Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenege- AppalachianMatt page

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member

Primal Challenege- AppalachianMatt

Primal Fuel
    I really started to change my diet when I first became enamored with this site about 4 weeks ago. I finally found something I could get passionate about b/c it just made sense. I have trained in all types of environments from Basic Training at Ft. Benning to the deserts of Iraq to the running the trails at Yosemite. I have always been in really good shape but just never ate correctly. That all stopped when I injured my back in Iraq, was diagnosed with PTSD, and Fibromyalgia. I've trained hard to get to where I am today and the most dramatic results have been seen in the last four weeks thanks to the PB.

(4 weeks ago) 6 ft tall and weighing in at 195 lbs. Healthy sized guy who works out a decent amount. I've had pretty bad back issues but with this they have started to subside. Not completely but starting to.

(Now) 4 weeks of tinkering I am right at 183 lbs and my six pack is slowly showing. With this new challenge I expect nothing less then a solid 6 pack and when i visit my doc for the annual check-up I want him to be amazed at my blood work.

With today being the first I thought it's be perfect to begin a challenge where I completely devote myself to the Primal Challenge. I already know I will bend a few rules here with alcohol (moderation of course) but other then that the straight and narrow path pour moi. But the main goal for myself is to really alleviate this back and neck issue to the point where it doesn't really bother me at all.

Now they are some other reasons for this challenge like wanting to have my 6 pack back, look good at the beach this summer but most importantly to become healthier and happier. I am going to achieve this by concentrating on nutrition and working out 4-5 times per week with 1 dedicated day for abs and swimming. I want my 5 month old son to grow up in a house where activity is king not the tv or video games. I want him to reach his potential mentally and physically but before I can teach him I must first learn how to. My wife is a P.A. who just graduated from Emory so I have been devouring her nutrition books trying to learn everythign I can.

Menu today:
    B: 1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ organic yogurt.
    S: 1/2 Bell Pepper, 4 baby carrots, celery stalk with sunflower seed butter
    L: Big Romaine salad w/ chopped mushrooms, tuna, sweet chard, almonds
    s: Protein shake with strawberries, carrots, a little bit of celery
    D: Tilapia (broiled) w/ broccoli and grilled mushrroms in coconut oil
    Last edited by AppalachianMatt; 04-01-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: My typing sucks

Day 2.

Starting out to be a good day. just got the office and had my cup of Joe. no creamer or sweetner which sucks bt it is what it is. Taking today off from the gym due to a little soreness from lunges and back pain. I figure today is the perfect day to rest. We leave work at 3 pm so that means some time outside enjoying the beautiful sun. I'm fasting this morning and looking forward to my big salad with Bell peppers, mushrooms, carrots, sweet chard, Tuna and avacado. Running by the store tonight to pick up some supplis for dinner tonight. I've been searchig for good fish recipes and looks like I found one on this site. Going to steam up Broccoli and make Cauliflower mash. Good stuff.

Tomorrow will feature some HIIT training then outside for yardwork. I am trying to take advantage of all the sun I can get this weekend.

Alan Cohen once said, "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power".
    Last edited by AppalachianMatt; 04-02-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Day 5. Crazy weekend and with all the candy around it surely didn't help. Although I did cheat, damn you Chocolate candy bunnies, I wasn't nearly as bad as anyone else. I made up for it with dinner and lunch today. Huge salads with Mushrooms, Broccoli, Fresh Romaine, Kale, Sweet Chard, tiny amount of cheese, vinagrette dressing and carrots.

Worked out doing body weights this morning.
    Knocked out 100 push ups in 3 sets. 50 crunches, 50 side raises for the obliques, 15 pull-ups, 30 squats, some sand bag work.

Breakfast was awesome. 4 large eggs with 2 strips of bacon. Going to go for a nice little walk (1-2 miles) at lunch to enjoy the fresh air and rid myself of the paleness that is Scottish.

Not Feeling so hot today. Pollen combined with one glass of red wine too many during the game. Yes I drank win during the NCAA Championship last night. If that doesn't show commitment on my part then I just don't know what does. I gave up my lovely Guiness to have some red wine I had never heard of but hey we all make sacrifices. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays there is no gym for me since these are my late nights but before the baby got up I did about 5 minutes on the jump rope, 1/2 session of P90X (Chest and Back) and had a huge omelet with muchrooms and Bell Peppers along with a banana/strawberry smoothie. Going to just work and relax/recover today and take tomorrow morning off.

I brought a huge salad for lunch with Romaine, Chard, Carrots, Shrooms, tuna, a dab of Cheese and vinagrette to top it off. Afterwards at about 5 ot 6 a big ole' protein shake. I think tonight is Salmon with Broccoli and Eggplant. Deliciousness awaits me.

Back on track today. The past few days I have felt horrible. The pollen count in Atlanta is ridiculous. My back porch is completely covered in yellow as well as the front porch and my car looks like it bathed in pollen. Hopefully the rains come today and wash most of this stuff away.

I think I will extend my 30 days to May 6th to cover the last few days I was sick. I also had a small lapse withKFC. I hate that food but I just got a huge craving which is another reason I am pushing back my thirty days. Got a great workout this morning in only 25 minutes. I did mostly upper body and plan on doing some squats at the office as well as abs. Really didn't rest much and it feels outstanding. My only problem with the Lifetime gym is too many people sit around and chat. Now I like to socialize as well but some days I just want to get in and out. I am trying to get back in the Army ways of being more efficient with everything I do. Yesterday I realized I had an extra 2 hours to read when I busted my tail.

Had a double portion of protein shake this morning with strawberries, carrots, celery.
    Cup of Joe with only half of the the creamer. No more artificial sweetners.

Lunch is a big ass salad with Romaine, Kale, carrots, celery, blueberries, chard, avacado and a ton of left over salmon. I had salmon last night but can you really ever have too much salmon?
    Snack will be almonds, orange

Dinner will probably be chicken or Flounder with eggplant, asparagas. Getting off a decent time tonight so I'll have enough time to do a quick workout. prepare dinner and play with the son. Good times all around.

Cynarin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AppalachianMatt View Post
    Back on track today. The past few days I have felt horrible. The pollen count in Atlanta is ridiculous. My back porch is completely covered in yellow as well as the front porch and my car looks like it bathed in pollen. Hopefully the rains come today and wash most of this stuff away.
    Ugh, I know. I can't leave the house or the office without dying. My allergies haven't been as bad this year, I think because of the lack of sugar in my diet, but I don't care how healthy you are, this business is ridiculous. I am about to commandeer the conference room for a raindance.

Cynarin. I understand your pain. Everything is caked in yellow and it rained just a tad bit in Buford this morning so I am hoping it pours tonight in Lilburn so we can open the windows a bit.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Forgot to mention. I went on a 2 mile walk during lunch break then had my big ole salad. It was sprinkling on and off but not too bad. I try to do this everyday the weather permits. It breaks up my day and gets me outisde in the sunshine or like today under the overcast skies.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Yesterday was a great day. After I left the office the wife and I packed our little one up and went on a beautiful walk through our neighborhood to the Greenway. There were at least 20-30 people out taking advantage of the fact that most of the pollen was washed away. So thats was at least an hour of walking yesterday at a good pace. Little man was just watching everything around him trying to soak it all in. Shoudl be able to run the dogs for a bit then go another walk if it doesn't get too cold for him.

Last nights dinner was amazing. I marinated Salmon in Lemon Juice, pepper with a pinch of salt and some Italian seasoning for about an hour. Then peeled and steamed fresh ,raw Beets (so darn good) and after a while put Aspargas in the steamer with them. Once finished I wrapped thick cut bacon around the Aspargas. It was absolutely awesome. My wife was amazed at my culinary skills and I plan on cooking at least 2-3 times per week from here on out. We already cook together on most nights but it feels good to prepare a good healthy meal for the family. In the future when Liam gets bigger we'll involve him in the cooking process. It's a good way to have the entire family together, have some fun and teach him proper nutrition. We love this eating way. My only concern was this morning when I found that eating fresh beets can change the color of your urine. I am guessing from the amounts of Iodine but that was amazing. The left over beet I sliced up and put it in my salad.

Going back to the Farmer's Market tomorrow!!!

Also for today I skipped the gym. My neck and back were killing me this morning but I will do at least 100 push ups, some obliques and walk for at least 20-30 minutes during my lunch break.

Mary Pickford

Had a great weekend. I didn't hit the gym at all like i wanted to but it worked out for the best. GOt too spend some real quality time with MiniGrok. Went for at least 2 if not 3 hours of walks on Fri and Sat. Did some yardwork followed by a backyard workout. My only concern right now and I know I probably shouldn't be but I feel I am getting into a leaner shape with more definition but I just feel smaller.

I know that sounds strange but i am used ot having a bit more meat on me. I've lost 12 lbs in the last montha nd I am playing around with my fat intake, protein intake, etc. I try to hit 125-150 carbs per day to help add a little here and there. I don't knwo if its what I am conditioned ot be after years of sports and the Army or if it's what I really need to be (185 lbs). I'm 180 and of course I know that really isn't a big deal.

My goal is to get to 185 lbs with 8% body fat. I of course not only want to do this for health reasons but also vainness. I want to get back to High School shape when I lifted 1.5 hours per day then went to football practice or basketball practice. Of course i don't want the wear and tear but I really want to get to my ideal weight. Again it's silly and if I got to the size I want at 180 lbs then I'd probably be better off and thats fine with me. I just have to get past this mental block of 185 and focus on maintaining and adding lean muscle.

Mary Pickford

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast