Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenege- AppalachianMatt page 8

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Still a little tired but this is my last day before a week of vacation. I need this so badly. Work has been killing me lately and I need ot recharge and get back on track. What better way than a week soaking up the rays and hanging with family? I still have a rough idea of how I will get my workouts in. Thinking before most people wake-up if the beach isn't too far I will go down and knock out some serious bodyweight exercises. Sprints on the beach, lunges, push ups, swimming, building sand castles, etc. I have been thinking of a million different things to do before I have a drink. Not that I drink a lot but while on vacation I will have more than normal; not too much.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Warning: Redundancy alert!!! I wrote this posting earlier and then editted it a few hours later...

First day back from one of the greatest vacations known to man. It's amazing how people fall back into familiar roles with their family despite large amounts of itme being seperated. It was like we all still lived together but are glad we don't. Well if I said I didn't drink or eat bad I would be lying. It was good to have a slush week b/c it made me realize how my body is affected by changing my routine. Now I did get a few good workouts in but mostly it was either swimming, sprints or long walks on the beach drunk late at night.

Feeling good and ready to be back at work. Lots of catching up to do and it'll be nice to return to a set schedule again. We're starting that 6 week plan tomorrow morning. I had every intention of starting today but I am still recovering. Already have everything laid out and tonight we're taking a long walk. Our dog ran away last week and we're posting fliers around the neighborhood. I just got a call from the road kill guy and no Lucy in the bag so we're hitting the neighborhood hardcore tonight and postings fliers.

I've been curious and writing down all these workouts I want to try sinc eI no longer have a gym membership and it is amazing at what you can find on the internet. As I was surfing looking for new workouts I ran across a group called the "Bar-barians" Supposedly they only lift body weight and these guys are ridiculous. They're basically gymnasts who use their landscape as a gym. Inspiring as can be and I have to try these muscle ups. I have heard about them before but after seeing the videos I have to try them out. What a ridiculously workout that cost nothing. I still need a few kettleballs and a better pull up bar to do Muscle ups but other then that I am ready to rock and roll.

6 week program starts tomorrow. No mercy, no relent. It's only 6 weeks and I wanna to see how far I can go by truly pushing myself as hard as I can. After the 6 weeks I have been thinking about doing P90x at about 70% meaning not doing every second of the DVDs but most of it. It's too much of a pounding to take for 90 days especially when you have as many ailments and issues as I do. Excitied.
    Last edited by AppalachianMatt; 07-19-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Just watched the most amazing video of these guys called the Bar-barians and since the wife has finally started working we are budgeting in an outdoor pull up bar and parallel bar for our workouts. These guys are insane and when I started to do a few of these I could really feel the difference. I buy into this style b/c it's all about functional fitness and fluidity. I should be able to build and put the concrete in by the last weekend of July or early August. The video is below of these guys and tell me if that doesn't get you pumped up to workout.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Appalach.../4/1lMqNWXRNjA

Last night we went out and put up fliers for our missing pooch. We hit every business, mailbox in a 1.5 mi radius so who knows what the deal is. I took our big dog out for a nice, long 2 hour walk. She was exhausted by the end. Hopefully we'll hear something soon but who knows at this point?

After the walka nd before dinner I put the Youtube video I linked earlier on the wii and my wife couldn't believe people could even do that outside of gymnasts. I started doing a few extreme variation pull-ups and loved it. Its basically working out and having fun. You're killing yourself but b/c of how focused you are on your movements and the challenge it brings you don't realize until later. I'm still going to climb but I plan to make this more of a staple in my everyday routines once we get everything set up. I am the type that needs ot have the structure in place b/c it will force me to use. I am about as cheap as they come. If I have it I use it. No reason to waste money or time besides my kid will enjoy the hell out of it.

Workout this morning.
    Push-ups total- 50. I did a good variationa nd held myself an inch above the floor for 20-30 second increments every 10. To finish I held myself 1-2 inches above the ground and worked back and forth from side to side keeping the same distance from the ground for 20 seconds then knocked out 5-10 push-ups.

Pull-ups total- 40. I also did variation with close overhand grip (15), wide grip (15), and underhand with focus on negatives. During the set I also pulled myself up very slowly while shifting from right to left on the way up and down. What a killer workout. I almost forget, If you watch the video you'll see where he starts a pull up then brings his feet in and is hanging upside down. I did this (not as much as he did) and did what I call upside down pull-ups (real orginal- am I using paranthesis too much?)This also destroyed my abs b/c I had to focus on keeping the proper form. I love evolutionary workout routines. I highly recommend watching the video and incorporating this into your routine. I currently have a pull up bar that fits in the doorway and I love it.

Mary Pickford

Just got back from Houston and already back at work. We got about 3.5 hours of sleep, was on a ridiculously turbulent flight and now I have to type up a 10 page report summarizing our meeting from last night. I know I should go home afterwards and rest but I need to hang with the family and have a solid workout. It shouldn't take more then 15 minutes to really get a good one in with the Variation pull-ups/variation push ups and lunges.

Today I am eating crap b/c I just don't have the time nor patience to put together a nutritious meal. This will be my one day to cheat and chill.

Mary Pickford

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    My "crap" these days consists of "primal crap" ...like pork rinds and sour cream... or blue berries... or grass fed cheese. Not exactly what I need for fat loss, and excellent health, but a variation on my usual, and not too hard on me.

I need those crap days every now and again to keep me sane. I love this lifestyle and it suits me well but I can only live so clean for so long before I have ot have the bad stuff. Of course things in moderation are typically not a bad thing. Had amazing pizaa last night and will eat the left overs for dinner tonight as well but tomorrow is back on the PB diet full speed ahead. I moved my 6 week training to tomorrow b/c of how hectic this week has been with work, traveling, etc.

Worked out pretty hardcore last night following my bar-barian training. I didn't count how many pull-ups or push-ups I did but I got a hell of a workout in just 15 minutes. It's amazing how much of a workout you can get by just doing bodyweight. I started out doing push-ups using the perfect push ups. It takes a lot of the pressure of my wrists and allows me to have th ability to hit the same muscle groups from different angles. I knock out ten to get the blood flowing then hold myself up for 20-30 seconds with my chest about an inch off the ground. I go back up and the fun begins. I went back down and started to go from side to side (controlled motion) holding that position for a few seconds with a slight twist in my wrist to hit different angles. While leaning to the left or right I basically did an assisted 1 arm push up.

Afterwards I jumped on the pull up bar and knocked out 7 wide arm overhand. Switched ot close grip underhand to but only did them halfway. I saw a pretty cool workout where the guy would have his hands on the bar at all times but would basically jump just a little and finish the pull up and slowly come back down. Then did regular pull ups but shifted back and forth from side to side while holding myself up. Back to the push-ups for about 25 with no variation except for negatives and holding myself up occasionally an inch or so from the floor for 15-20 seconds. Then back to the pull up bar followed by more variation push ups.

I will get a nice walk in at the office today and relax. Tomorrow I will be outside taking care of all the yardwork. I have an area blocked from the neighbors view where I can do lunges, crabwalk up a small incline. I also found some old cones I am going to use so I can do quick sprints and work on my agility. This is the main reason I love not going to the gym b/c it forces me to be creative and to hit every muscle group possible.

This will before the wife and get a little drunk tonight. Our dog ran away last week and was found 45 miles from our place yesterday so we're going throw down tonight.

Mary Pickford

Back on track but with time constraints my workouts have suffered but thats alright. I probably need the rest anyway. It's amazing how one can type all the things they plan on or want to do but when in reality it takes a lot of planning and prep work. Not that big of a deal but I love that extra 15 minutes of sleep in the AM. I usually do workout throughout the day but I need ot really hit it hard in the morning. It jump starts my day and gets the mind ready for whats to come.

I have been putting a lot of focus on push-ups and pull-ups and have abandoned my legs outside of a lot of walking, ocasionally squats and some variation pull-ups. I get caught up in something new and shiny and will often forget to do other stuff. It's my nature. I am about as ADD as you can get without the diagnosis. Another reason I love lists and staying as busy as possible. I need to be busy which can be both be beautiful and suck but such is life.

Ate great this weekend. Lots of red meat, fish, sweet potatoes and more broccoli than I have ever had before. After work today I am hitting the home gym pretty hardcore tonight. Going to hit up the Bowflex and combine that with pull-ups and squats. I will probably get enough of a workout mowing the yard. Tomorrow morning I have crab walks to tackle. People would think I am nuts when they see my workouts. Either that or it could be a great sprint day but we;ll see. I am goignt o draw up an outline with much flexibility for the rest of the week to ensure good workouts.

Mary Pickford

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    broccoli is a good thing.

DarthFriendly- You are very correct but the levels I have had in the past few days have been ridiculous. My wife wasn't really thrilled with the after effects.

Mary Pickford

Last night as I was watching Lie to Me which is a kick ass show I recommend everyone to watch I started to think about things. At work yesterday I read an article by some guy on some blog (can't remember specifics) but the premise was how we get so caught up in the Bullshit of everyday life we forget about the important things. When I first read it, nothing really stood out but it hit me about 10 PM. I tunred off the tv and put on my itunes and sat there. I am the type of perosn who feels silence is golden (meaning not having to listen to other people, I work on the phone). The ink started flowing from my pen and all these ideas, concepts on my own personal life and how I have been my own worst enemy came to light. I've known this for sometime as I am my own worst critic but to actually see it in my handwriting was eye opening.

As the pages started to fill I noticed something different. I noticed how much more positive the words were becoming and how my mood changed. I realized that years had been wasted by focusing on shit that doesn't matter and trying to please so many other people to my own detriment. There are so many cliche's I could throw out but the my favortie quote of the day is by Henry David Thoreau, "To be awake is to be ALIVE." To be awake is to be alive. That to me would be compared to what some would call a religious awakening or self realization. From my studies in college I came to an understanding that yes we all share a simplified version of a collective reality yet when you break down individual views you begin to notice just how different those realities are. I know it sounds crazy but go with it for a second. Everyone watches the news and we think that this is whats really happening b/c its what we're told. We all watch FoxNews or Cnn, MSNBC, or whatever. The point is we have to look deeper and find out who is responsible for those stories just like we do with our food.

The moral of this is to take advantage of every opportunity given. Do whatever is necessary to find personal enlightenment and run with it. I have even become more dedicated now b/c I know my limitations and I want to destroy them now. I've been to hell and back so now its time to see what lies ahead instead of worrying about what happened in the past. That hell was a chapter thats been read too many times and now the focus is on writing the next chapter whether it be unbelievably awesome or tragically sad. I need to open that door that would have been left closed b/c of fear, uncertainty or any number of reasons. I know this whole thing probably sounds crazy to anyone reading, if anyone outside of DarthFriendly reads this but this is my therapy. My rite of passage so who cares right? I started a new mindset last night and I know there will be bumps in the road and thats part of the game. I will use every strand of my being to ensure I am fulfilled everyday to the point where I can't squeeze one more second out of the day.

Mary Pickford

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast