Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenege- AppalachianMatt page 7

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Finally got my MDA app for my Iphone. I already have the website saved into my favs but this shoudl make downloading that much faster and allow me to do more on the fly with posting.

Went for a nice 30 minute walk at lunch to get some good ol' sunshine and the blood flowing. Trying to shoot for 200 abs today and 100 push-ups. Tomorrow I have to take the dogs ot the vet but I should be able to get in a good workout either before or afterwards. Beach trip is only 2 weeks away!!!!
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

A little sluggish today but things are on the up and up. I didnt' ahev time to work out this morning with our vet appt so early but will do so throughout the day today. I'm hitting a bit of a plateau right now and I need the mental push to break through it. I am sure everyone goes through these every few weeks so I'm nto too worried about it. Typically I will just push through and bring more intensity but for some reason I am just not feeling it. Work must be a strong factor in this as right now is one of the more stressful times in our industry due to vacations, kids going to college, etc but again just gotta bust through and continue to focus.

B'fast- 3 eggs with 2 slabs of bacon
    Snack- veggies with almond butter
    Lunch- Big ass salad with tuna, romaine, bell peppers, almonds, mushrooms,
    Snack- Sardines.
    Dinner- ??? Probably fish with steamed carrots and broccoli
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Back on track after a good nights sleep and hitting the snooze button a few times. Reenergized and ready to tackle the day ahead. As I laid in bed this morning I started to think as I often do too much of but came to a simple conclusion. My entire life I have tried to live by a schedule which usually I never follow through with. Well I decided to end this nonsense way of life and just focus on the intensity. I will, of course, continue to have a loosely based schedule to keep me pushing forward but instead of stressing over following it I am going to add a ton of flexibility.

Working out is now going to be around a specific time to do whatever I feel like as long as it is intense, focus on functional fitness and total body. The workouts will last between 30-40 minutes in duration and again be extremely intense. No more lying to myself about doing this or that. i spent 8 yrs in the Army and while I was successful with that approach (had no choice) I still had to work on my motivation. How many 10 mile runs can you go on and not get bored. Or how many cherry pickers (if you know this exercise you understand my pain) I can cram in in 3 minutes. Fitness should be fun and evolve with how you feel and what you want to focus on. This will allow me to do my simplefit routine, go do up downs, jump rope, climb trees or my rope, kill my abs in a small time frame yet still get maximum results with max motivation. Still gonna do at least 5 days per week with another dedicated to Yoga. Hopefully the Yoga days will increase to two but I never really did a lot of Yoga before so we'll have to see.

B'fast- 3 eggs with spicy Tenn sausage
    Snack- veggies- celery, carrots dipped in almond butter plus blueberries, strawberries and grapes
    Lunch- Another big ass salad with everything green
    Snack- Sardines plus banana
    Dinner- Unknown at this point.

I hate going through ruts but when you finally break through you have a better understanding of how you feel and act. You begin to understand how your body works and reacts to certain stimuli so when this happens again (which it most certainly will) I have a better grasp on the situation. I love this lifestyle.

Mary Pickford

Didn't work out this morning so I'll knock that out when I get home. Going to focus on total body for 30 minutes and go for exhaustion. I need the stress relief but agian we have a 3 day weekend that starts in just a few hours. Pick up little man from Daycare and then we're off. I need a vaca.

Same thing for lunch- Big ass salad with every veggie, tuna, and some fruit.
    Dinner- Tilapia or FLounder with steamed carrots and asaparagus.
    Snack almonds and sardines. Lovely.

Mary Pickford

What a great 3 day weekend. If anyone ever needed that break it was me. I have ot admit right now my stress levels seem to be on a roller coaster of a ride with my wife hopefully going to start working soon, business going at such a slow pace and student loans starting to creep up. This past three days is what I truly needed to recharge and rev those engines back up. Of course I also have next week off for a family beach trip so those engines will be fine tuned upon my return but this week has to be a big one for me.

Well the past three days I started to reread my Primal Blueprint and I hit the bodywight exercises pretty hardcore. The wife and I had a pretty good conversation and we set up a few short term goals (2 week intervals) as well as long term (1 yr). I want to really focus on truly graps this lifestyle and all the benefits it provides. Since Feb I have dropped more fat than I thought I even had, became more defined, better overall health, my workouts are now more intense and last only 30 minutes. I love the fact I don't have a set schedule and I do as I please but the most important thing for me is I have a sense of control. As I have previously stated, "There aren't many things in this life we can control so when we have something we need to take it by the horns and run with it".

Workouts this weekend. 2 out of 3 days.
    These workouts have shifted from 3 sets of this to 3 sets of that. I have started to rotate exercises whenever I feel like it. An example would be doing leg kicks then switching to scissor kicks, then to bicycle, etc. Push- ups- regular to walking push-ups (just walking around on my hands from side to side then raising one hand by placing a book under then rotating to push-ups with elevated feet. The whole point is to continuously work various muscles without rest. I spend a lot of effort on breathing but once you get a rhythm things pan out. I don't want to do the same workout routine everyday so variation and intensity are key.

Focused on upper body with variation pull ups- 120 total. Variation pull-ups- 71 total. Squats- 100 total, abs- 250 total.
    Total workout time- 30 minutes
    Results- killer workout and motivation throughout the day.

This is my goal to hit 5 times per week while fitting in Yoga being on either one of those days or devote time to it in addition. I don't care anymore about bencing 300 lbs or squatting 600 again. Oddly enough I did that in HS. I want to be able to perform any task, play in flag football leagues, take over the softball game and play pick-up basketball or soccer when the opportunity arises. For so long I have feared (with good reason) getting back to my that lifestyle b/c of my back injuries but with this PB I have almost put that pain behind me and I am on the verge of regaining my form. I plan on living this way well into my 90s as an example for my family and others but most importantly for myself.

Mary Pickford

Feeling good and ready to tear it up at work. Forgot my lunch so that will count as my cheat meal of the week. I had Quizno's!!!! Gasps! Oh well, we can't be perfect all the time.

I had a good discussion again with the wife last night. Instead of watching tv we've started to sit outside (while the baby is asleep) and just talk. We may take a beer or two but we sit back and talk. When we first started dating we'd always have these deep, philosophical sessions, brainstorm future business endeavors or just talk. We've continued that but not as much as we did before. Communication is the key to any relationship and since I work in a field that forces me to listen it's nice to hear her thoughts and be able to express mine. Last night we started talking again about how easy this lifestyle is and how we can improve it. We talked about how our lives have improved in regards to physical fitness, moods, mentality, libido and having that sense of control over something as powerful as food. For at least 30 minutes we spoke of how so many people just accept things as they are without questioning or really even caring. Most people think as long as it is McDonalds then it should be fine b/c everyone eats McDonalds so it can't be bad. No one asks where do they get their meat? How is it processed? Are they AMerican Cows or shipped from New Zealand like before? What did the cows eat? Were they killed in a human way? Was the slaughter house at all sanitary? Important questions no one asks anymore. Hell my Dad works at a Wendy's and he doesn't even eat the food anymore.

During our conversations we get back to connecting on more of a cebreal level. We get a chance to really speak our minds and I would challenge anyone to do this with your spouse. Instead of watching mind numbing tv shows for countless hours until we pass out, why not try having a conversation? Even if for only 10 minutes. Its amazing how liberating talking can be. We went back over our goals for this lifestlye and what we want to do in the future, how we'll get there and why we want to be there? This lifestyle has brought back the curiousity I had when I was a kid and tried to learn everything. Only now I focus on things that truly impact my family and it gives me that sense of control we all so desperately want. I want to make sure these are decisions that aren't based on instant gratification or what some marketer told me I should do. Now I also understand Mark is a Marketer himself. He has many products that can assist you along the journey but for me this is different. Am I biased? Hell yeah, who isn't? I'm biased b/c without really trying I have achieved more in just a few short weeks than most people will get in months. I found a niche that I can really be successful at and possibly help others along the way.

During our discussion we also talked about when we return from our trip that we are committing to a 6 week program broken down in 2 week intervals. Again this is going to be a form of organized chaos. 7 days a week of at least 30 minutes of intense training (1 day will be Yoga) 1 day will be heavy lifiting(homemade gym/bowflex), 1 day will be sprints and the rest will be body weight exercises. I know 7 days is a lot but it's only 30 minutes and if we need a rest day we'll take it. This is moreso an experiment I wanted to try and convinced the wife to come along for the ride. I am very curious as to see the results of this adventure.
    Last edited by AppalachianMatt; 07-07-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Mary Pickford

stockjohn is offline Senior Member
    Matt,

I enjoyed reading about your conversations with your wife. I recently cancelled our cable because I felt like our evenings for the past two years were sucked into a black hole of television. My wife is cautiously on board but she says that some nights she just wants to veg out after a long day at work. We're two weeks into the no cable experiment and I think its getting easier. We also have a baby. I have no clue how you fit all the exercise in. That's the one part of the PB that I have not been able to tackle due to schedule. I just do a lot of walking and some bodyweight exercises.

Stockjohn: Thanks for reading. The wife and I did no cable for a while but realized I needed it during football season or I'll go crazy. The conversation piece dates back to a connection the wife and I hadn't lost but we needed to refocus on it. What other person on this planet actually wants to hear about my day or what I think on this subject or that? It only made sense to stop watching tv and start chatting.

I do my best to fit a lot into a small timeframe. I really don't have much of a choice with all the things I have to juggle. The biggest thing for me was to sit down and think about what I wanted and then how do I get there. I throw in a lot of exercise to include walking when I can to help handle stress and everyday frustrations.

The best time for me is in the mornings when everyone is asleep. I wake up a little early and do warm-up for about 5 minutes then shoot for 30 min of really intense body weight exercises to near exhaustion. The most important things are variety and intensity in any workout I do. I don't believe going to the gym and half assing it so I make every workout tough. I put the headphones on and get into my own little world and try to push myself.
    An example of variation in my routine is instead of doing 25 leg raises I'll switch after 15 to scissors kicks then switch to do single leg raises and jump right into crunches. It's nonstop and I make sure I hit as many muscles as possible. Take advantage of the time you have. With push-ups I'll do 10 reg then put a book under my rt hand and do push ups then switch to the left or walk around on my hands. It sounds crazy but I just try to be creative and functional. Gym memberships are overrated and a waste of money. Bodyweight exercises are free and they force you to think of new exercises and ways to workout.

To make a long story short I put myself into a very flexible routine where theres no set times, no certain number of sets just various intense workouts throughout the day to keep me moving. If you create a mindset and just run with it for 2-3 weeks it wil become a habit that will eventually become second nature. Hell sometimes at night if we do watch tv I'll randomly get up and knock out 30 push ups and 10 pull-ups just for the hell of it. My wife just accepts it and will occasionally get down with me.

If I don't get in all the workouts I wanted to then I do push ups and sit ups randomly through the day at work along with walking on my lunch break. The key to being really successful with this lifestyle is time mgmt. I make time for exercise b/c at work it keeps the energy levels constant, stress is reduced and I just feel better overall.
    Last edited by AppalachianMatt; 07-07-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Mary Pickford

Just went on a 30 minute walk under the hot Georgia sun. Not too bad today at 91 but hopefully those beautiful Georgia showers will coming soon.

Mary Pickford

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Little tired but still feeling pretty positive right now. I am going to do random workouts today and try and get some sleep tonight. We stayed up a little late last night chatting away again before watching a little of Tosh.O.

Actually decided to take today off outside of a few abs.
    Last edited by AppalachianMatt; 07-08-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Mary Pickford

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast