Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenege- AppalachianMatt page 6

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Had a great workout this morning on the Bowflex. We were headed to the gym but just never got the motivation required so I knocked out a solid workout on the machine and finsihed it off with an intense 15 minute boxing session. Since part of my goal is to get back in "Fighting Shape" I started incorporating more kicks and grappling into my routine. Feels amazing and with the stress my job brings it is much needed.

I'm interested in the sledge hammer workout and was ont he verge of buying some rope to climb. We live in a heavily wooded area outside Atlanta and I have the perfect spot. It will take some effort to cut a few smaller branches out of the way and then climb up at least 20 feet to tie the rope off. I am pretty good with knots but never tied one that high or for this particular use. Should be interesting.

Breakfast- 3 eggs with red bell peppers and a bit of cheese.
    Lunch- Another big ass salad with Bell peppers, carrots, grapes, blueberries, and Romaine lettuce with a pinch of spinach and tuna.
    Snack- Can of tuna. Dooubling up on my protein for the next few weeks to build more lean muscle mass.
    Dinner- Tilapia with eggplant and Zuchinni.

Tomorrows goals- hit the gym for some heavy legs and abs and finish it all off with some swimming in the pool outside. Good freaking week.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

A day of much needed rest. I have been going so harcore with my workouts lately I have worn myself down. Of course having an 8 month old doesn't help with getting a lot of sleep but I'll learn to deal I suppose. Skipped Breakfast again unfortunately but I will have my big ass salad again today and I am grilling come hell or high water tonight.

Grilling some chicken breast I started to marinate last night. I created my own marinade so if it is good I'll post the ingredients, if not than never mind.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Looks like this may be day 2 of rest. I have been going nonstop and its catching up to me. I still do a few push-ups and pull-ups but i am nto sleeping as much. Little man keeps waking up at O'dark 30 and the wife and I keep falling asleep watching tv. Not good and I plan on cutting that out tonight.

Had my first can of sardines yesterday and I have to admit I love them. I need to add some flavor for taste but not a big deal. I am trying to bulk up a little and get back to around 183-185 with 7% body fat. I did some calculations yesterday and I am unofficially 11.9% body fat and weigh in at 175 lbs. 6 feet tall but I look a lot better now sinc eI have dropped some of the fat I was carrying around. I was never really that fat but I needed to lose some weight. My body frame wasn't able to support that weight efficiently enough but now I can feel how much more agile and flexible I am. I love doing more body weights b/c its more functional and will get me to where I need to be faster. When I am at the gym I become a little unfocused and resort back to my meathead days. I see folks pushing massive weight and I want to throw a few more on the rack. I can't be that way anymore with a bad back-well getting better back and my goals are no longer to look like a meathead. I want to be lean and mean. Agile and quick.

Everyone wants those bulging biceps of course but for me I need to stay focused on rehabbing ym back and getting it as strong as possible.

Mary Pickford

Had a good weekend and enjoyed my time off form working out. Yesterday morning we hit it pretty hard witht he simplefit and then variation pull-ups. I started to research and make plans for my rope I'm putting out. I know it sounds silly to draw up plans but again I am former military so planning is something I am a little obsessed with. I looked into artificial turf (piece thats 4*4 to cover the ground. This is in a very overgrown and wild area besides the hosue in the woods. The mat willl hopefully kill off some of the ivey but i have the ocmplete understanding that I will need to continuously fight and kill off that not to meniton the ridiculous number of mosquitos.

The tree will need some work too as I will ahve to cut a few branches off and build a small stair case up the wood. The area is too remote and crowded for a tall ladder so this will be a workout just to get the damn thing up but worth the adventure. That should be taken care of within the next week or so.
    I have also been drawing up a book with tons of different body weight exercises that focuses on total body fitness. I am using a lot of tools the Army gave me but also what I have found to be the most effective. Since our gym memberships runs out at the end of the month I want to make sure I don't have a hiccup in my workouts. I still hjave my goals to reach and feel there should eb no issue hitting them without the gym. I have this mental block like most people that I need the gym to be successful when in actuality I have made great strides with bodyweight exercises. I still have my bowflex but the only thing that worries me is how to maintain strong legs through bodyweights. I can and probably will buy another set of dumbbells and kettleballs. I guess lunges would suffice but I will need a few more to maintain the strength I have built up.

Food for today- B'fast- banana, apple and a cup of Joe. I need to add more to my daily b'fast. I know some people skip it but I need to eat more.
    Lunch- tuna burrito- tuna wrap with bell peppers, beans and cheese. Pretty simple, straightforward and to the point.
    Snack- can of sardines
    Dinner- Tilapia with steamed veggies, maybe broccoli and carrots.

Mary Pickford

Living Primally is the world's greatest Libido Booster. I won't go into great detail but this lifestyle has definitely added another spark here and there. Alright. We have two weeks to go before our beach trip and we are dying to get away. If anyone needs a vacation its me and I can't wait for a week at the beach with no work, no stress, just family, the sun (lots of Vitamin D) and good times. I will do have been looking forward to those early morning walks along the beach and some sand sprints.

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered iof the sand on the West Coast is as soft as the East coast. I know it sounds weird to ask but it is a vaild question. When we lived in Monterey during language school I would take my soldiers out on the beach for sprints. It was ridiculous to run through some of that stuff. The workouts were killer and I'd love to throw in a few days like that. Lunges on the beach would be pretty good too.

Well our gym membership is done at the end of the month. We had thought about keeping it b/c it offers so many things but in reality I can and have gotten just as good if not better workouts doing my own thing. It takes less time to workout, I never have to leave the house, and I can box afterwards to get a good burn and hit those muscles one last time.

B'fast- 4 eggs scrambled
    Lunch- Big ass salad with tuna, bell peppers, spinach, and carrots, and grapes.
    Snack- Good ole sardines
    Dinner unknown at this point.

Mary Pickford

I slept an incredible 7 hours last night and feel like I am the king of the world. This may seem like too little for some but I spent a number of years in Spec Ops for the Army and sleep deprivation was my best friend. We would go days without sleeping in order to prepare for those 96 hour missions of hunting bad people. I go into these odd sleep cycles from time to time (better known as Insomina bouts) where I don't sleep more than 8 hours a week. I actually am more productive during those times due to making myself focus harder on the task at hand.

Well I cheated a bit today and went to Subway. I ran out of Romaine and Spinach for my big ass salad and since i am leaving to go to Dallas for the rest of the week no point in going grocery shopping. Such is life.

When I get back we're putting up my rope to climb and getting some kettleballs plus a sledgehammer. My goal now is to get as fit as possible with no assistance from a gym except for the occasional Bowflex workout. After walking aorund last night I can definitely see the results showing. My shoulders are getting cut and my abs are slowly poking out from behind their fatty protection. Give me another 6 months of this and I'm coming for you Mark.

I found a couple of websites that deal with bodyweight exercises and I think I might even start taping them to see where I need to improve. Man I need to really get a life don't I? I am a film rat, old football days, and proper form for someone like myself is crucial. I've had my right shoulder rebuilt for a torn rotator cuff and posterior dislocation (only 5% of all Dislocation are posterior), bad back combined with the last remants of Fibromyalgia so for me I have to really build strength the proper way or else I go back for more doctor visits. I don't even like to take Tylenol much less painkillers so I don't have much of a choice.

Mary Pickford

Oh I forgot.
    B'fast- 4 eggs with spicy sausage, sliced bell peppers and cheese.
    Lunch- Subway- bad choice
    Snack- Good ole Sardines
    Dinner- WTFK?

Mary Pickford

What a relaxing weekend. I spent the latter part of last week in Dallas for company wide trainig so it was ncie ot get out and see a new city. I didn't exactly eat the best but it could have been worse. When I got home I crashed and slept for what felt like days. I got a decent workout in on Saturday and a quickie on Sunday. The motivation wasn't necessarily there and I think that correlated with how I ate and traveling. Traveling always takes it out of me. Of course I can still go all day but I have to muster up some extra energy.

After reading the article about Jason Statham (yes the Transporter guy) I really started ot make more of an emphasis on core training. I have always made excuses as to why I don't have to but to be honest I hate doing them. Now I have a great understanding of how the human body works and the need for strong core muscles. They help stabilize the body, take pressure off the lower back which if anyone has read any of my posts they know I have an issue or two. I know all the right reasons to train them but I just hate doing them. In the Army we did close to 500 abs per day and it wore on me. They were alwas the same exercises which hit total core not just the obliques, etc. I had a storng core then my hate grew too much to continue. Well no more.

I have rededicated my workouts to evolve around more core exercises. I utilize them more in my pull-ups which have helped increase my total numbers as well as my boxing and grappling I have just restarted. Since my gym membership officially ends Wednesday I have come to the realization that working my core has become more important than ever. I have already dowloaded thousands of various body weight exercises and the common theme is a strong core. I am going to shoot for a minimum of 250 total abs per day using various techniques but I want to ensure I am not doing the same exercises over and over. I need variation and I think I may have found the best way to hit that. Each night I am going to lay out an example workout lasting 25-30 minute sof intense exercises. There are a few staples of previous workouts like bear crawls, bouncers, explosive push-ups (Now remember I tend to make them up as I go or I just add my own variant to each so the names aren't always correct).

The moral of the story here is for me to reach ym goals I need to add core exercises as a mainstay instead of somethign that passes the time. Every exercises should be intense and hardcore considering the fact its a workout and you're supposed to sweat not tinker around. I am putting together a 6 week plan for myself; nutrition, fitness, mind & body and see where it takes me. I have goals like a certain body fat percentage, weight, etc but the overal goal is the most important aspect for me. Overall health and awareness. Int he Army they say Stay Alert, Stay alive. I plan on doing that by taking charge of what little time I have on this earth and ensuring my time here is well used and I want my son to carry that with him. If our food is the fuel our bodies use to run why not ensure you've got the best damn fuel possible?

Mary Pickford

It's after lunch and I am starting to get that sleepy feeling. I just ate Quizno's and can already feel its effects. A little groggy, tired and the laziness is setting in. Didn't have time this weekend to go to the Farmer's Market but the wife is taking care fo that as we speak. Getting back on track tonight with some Salmon, Broccoli and steamed carrots. We ate pretty good last night with Turkey Mignon's wrapped in lucious applewood bacon, steamed sweet potatoes and acorn squash.

But I write this entry for a different purpose. I think I just forgot to mention my next point in more detail earlier. From time to time I like to rant and get a little fired up. Well as I was driving around trying to find a healthy alternate to typical fast food I started ot think about things. I have written abotut his before but now I think is the time to actually dive in head first. Some might say I have a tendency for self destruction which I can agree with but it has become a sort of mental block I have to hurdle. Background: I am an adrenaline junky willing to do anythign once (well within reason). I like to feeling of death ebing close b/c it gives you a truer since of life and how fragile it is. Stupid to some, necessary for others. I enlisted in the Army knowing I would be deployed within months and I craved it. I don't want attention b/c while it's nice to be recognized for your accomplishments I am the type that needs to feel the moment, to be on the edge looking over.

Well that leads me to where I am now. I am a happily married 30 yr old with a beautiful baby boy, good job, nice home and a car that apparently didn't pass emissions (Damn it!!!). Form everyone elses' persepctive I have a pretty good life and I would agree but theres somthing missing. I'm nto leaving my family or having an affair. Those are things I could never do but I still feel like something is missing and the conclusion I have come to is wheres the action? Where are the new experiences? I've grown stale and bored. I need a kick in the ass to get me where I need to be. Well thats where Primal Fitness plays a part. I have mentioned that for the next 6 weeks I am going to train intensely and focus on nutrition with no junk food, fast food and only an occasional beer. I can't just give that up now can I? I need the excitement to get going again or I am afraid that I may go stir crazy.

Starting tonight when I get home and finish mowing the yard I plan on sitting down and organizing the next week with physical activities, exploration and challeneges. I need to be challeneged on a daily basis or life slowly becomes a dull. Thats the main reaosn I loved the Army during deployments. There was always someone to hunt down or someone was plannign on how to do the same for me. I know it sounds crazy but there is no adrenaline rush on earth like when a fire fight breaks out or hand to hand combat is required. Thats pure adrenaline and when we truly find out who we are. Are we the ones we will lay down and die b/c of fear or are we the one who will stand up and do whatever it takes to succeed and survive? I am a survivior and plan on being one for a long, long, long, long time. Even thoguh I have said this before I am fully committed to this. I need this for my own personal survival. 6 weeks is a short time in the main scheme of things so I just need to shut up and focus. For the next 6 weeks (starting tomorrow- every great plan must have greater preparation to be truly successful). I will post a before and after pic to show my results.

I am tired of living for the possibilities of tomorrow so I have decided to live in the moment of today.

Mary Pickford

Slept in this morning and it was awesome. Trying to take life one step at a time at the moment and wnjoy while it lasts.

Breakfast- 3 eggs, red bell peppers (diced) with mushrooms and Good ole Tennessee spicy sausage.
    Snack- Celery stalks dipped in Almond butter.
    Lunch- Big ass salad- 1/2 head of Romaine with almonds, blueberries, grapes, carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms and tuna.
    Snack- Sardines in Mustard sauce
    Dinner- ????

Well I feel amazing today. I have mad a concious effort to really focus on living in the moment while preparing for tomorrow. I am putting together a schedule for the next two weeks (Headed to the beach) that will encompass work, fitness, nutrition and homelife. These will be broken down and plenty of room for flexibility as my desires change at the drop of a hat. Work is self explanatory, fitness will consist of bodyweight exercises- guidelines to keep focus, Nutrition- writing down every bit of food I eat so I can really start to think about what it is I am running on, and home life. Home life is somehting that truly is flexible. This will consist of cleaning, organizing, etc. Of course those can be pushed by the wayside if little man wants to play or we decide to go for a walk or something. The whole point agian is to maximize my time and make sure I accomplosh everything possible in the time I have.

Mary Pickford

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast