Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenege- AppalachianMatt page 5

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Trying to change my pics on gravatar but for some reason I can't manage. Interesting.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Couldn't post yesterday but back on track today. This weekend was crazy with all the work and primal activities. On Saturday I was sitting on the couch for about 15 minutes after putting Liam to bed for his afternoon nap and thought to myself, "Self, we shoudl go out and do something. We should be productive on this beautiful day and get some sunshine". Well I went out and started to trim the tree in the front yard b/c it's starting to get chaotic and low and behold I remembered why I loved climbing trees as a kid.

Our front yard is somethat on a hill so a ladder would not suffice. I got to climbing and lost track of time. I was trimming here and there and a little in-between. Good times. The wife decided ot join me and we cleared more limbs and worked on a few other trees that needed some attention. We both love the outdoors and the sun was shining so we just stayed outside. We set up the iphone to call us if the baby made any noise or woke up.

The tree has branches about 5-6 inches think in some locations and I started to do pull ups (10 sets of 3-5). I almost got to the top but they thin out a little so I can only go so high. I hope my neighbors don't think I'm crazy but I loved every second of it. We cut down a lot of branches and still have more to do towards the top but all in due time. Afterwards I realized that I may have over done just a bit. Sunday was hell with my neck barely being able to move and I had to be careful with most movements but the pain subsided and I am back to my normal self. With the back issues I've had I try to step back and make sur eI am nto putting myself in a bad spot that coudl lead to further injury but I just went for it and although I paid a heavy price it was worth it. It was like I was a kid again.

We finally went to the Farmer's Market and loaded up on fresh veggies, good meats and some olive oil. Lunches are back to my big ass salad with every veggie I can get my hands on and I am starting to feel it again. Good times.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Another Beautiful day in Atlanta. I have the office ot myself and enjoy the silence and no distractions. I did my SimpleFit workout again and I have to tell to you I love this thing. It's so easy yet you get one heck of a workout. I like the fact that it encompasses aerobic and body weight exercises. I have been looking into Kettleballs to add to my training regimen. Also I about to do some exploring in the backyard for th perfect spot for a rope. The goal would be to find a tree tall and strong enough to support me climbing a rope about 20 feet. I am surrounded by trees so hopefully it won't be an exercise in futility. If I can add climbing to repetoire then all is right in the world and my history of back issues will start to really go away.

This is goign to hurt like hell at first but thats to be expected. I am tired of being held back and matter what I do it will hurt regardless so might as well make it fun. I might even throw a tire on it to have our own personal swing. Little man would love that and I could us it for training as well. Functionality is tjet key for me now. No more Bullshit Gyms where I'm surrounded by meatheads and ladies who wear make-up to work out. What the hell s up with that anyway? You're working out so why cake that crap on. I like woman a little more natural and not so high maintenance to begin with but we all have our own preferences I suppose.

Fasting this morning and plan on having another big salad with Romaine, tuna, bell peppers, celery and almonds. Later today probably a tuna burrito or Turkey burger with Blue Cheese.

Mary Pickford

Feeling good and getting into my rhythm again. If anyone knows me then they'll know I work very hard and when I get the chance ot play I go balls out and have a blast. Well this past weekend we had a blast (won't get into it on this site but lets just say it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Well stress has played a big role in my back issues and I think I have finally started down the road to help alleivate that problem .Life will always be stressful and for someone like myself who thrives under it it can be a challenge when it's so constant that it feels weird when its not around.

Cheapo posted a link to a website called SimpleFit.org. I have written about it in this blog as well as other. It lives up to the name in every aspect but it workes like no other. For years i have rotated from pounding the weights as a gym rat to Army style physical training ad it's taken a toll. The weightroom puts too much stress on my back and the Army way is too damn long from start to finish (Is there a reason to do 300 pickers?) So I started ot combine to the two and I am feeling it big time now. The wife and I cancelled our but we do have one more month left so we'll throw a little of that into our rotuine as well but 4-5 times per week we're waking up (moreso her waking up to workout with me.) and doing bodyweight exercises. We will combine 10-15 minutes of Simplefit since it incorporates a lot of functional workouts followed by a variation of ab workouts, push-up variations, different leg workouts, etc. The whole point is to train without going to a gym and get in phenomenal shape. I feel phenomenal right now but lets see after 4-6 weeks what this can do.

Gotta a good feeling about this style and the fact it is free only helps. Also adding kettleball training, rope climbing, medicine ball routines and I have somehow convinced a co-worker ot do 1 day of sprints with me at the office. He runs a few days per week and since I can't due to my back I thought we could knock out some hills and get into ridiculous shape.

Mary Pickford

5.5 weeks until the family beach trip. We're hoping that the oil won't come up the East Coast but at this point who the frack knows. The wife and I have decided to really focus and eat Primally until then. Our ultimate goal is to show the rest of my family that eating good and working out can really make a difference. My Dad is a diabetic who has completely changed his life around and is doing fantastic. When he was wrestling professionally he ballooned up to 375 lbs but when he had his heart attack at the age of 50 he got his shit together and started the process of cleaner living. He eats no red meat, works out 4-5 days per week and is on a vegetarian crave right now. When I say he doesn't eat red meat I mean fast food burgers, meat form the grocery store, etc. They've bought into a cow pooling opp that will eventually pay dividends but for now they get good ole' organic, grass fed beef with no additives like hormones or steroids.

The workout plan in more detail. Since we cancelled our membership but have 1 month left we're going to use this as our way to lift heavy things. We workout together 3 days a week in the morning before the baby wakes.

Monday- Gym before work- Heavy lifting with an emphasis on legs and back. Swim 5-8 laps afterwards. Good way to starte the work week.
    Tuesday- Simplefit for 10 minutes then a combo of bodyweight exercises for 10-15.
    Wed.- No body weight exercises but sprints during my afternoon break.
    Thursday- Rest with possible Yoga in the morning.
    Friday- Gym before work. Heavy lifting with emphasis on legs and functional strength
    Saturday- Heading back to the Gym to hit up the pool with the fam. Get my Vitamin D and a little tan.
    Sunday- Relaxation

This sequence combined with the proper Primal nutrition should propel me to my goals. I will post pics right before the beach trip.

Mary Pickford

Had an outstanding weekend with thr fam. Got back into boxing/MMA style training and although I am paying for it a little today i fee amazing.

Saturday we went to the gym and I ran errands with little man while thw wifey worked out than we switched when she was finished. They hugn out at the pool while I got a great total body worker with an emphasis on heavy lifting. Did some heavy leg presses and then wntured my way to the pool. Swam 10 laps which nearly killed me and then some good ole fashioned Vitamin D fopr a few hours and my Casperness has started ot subside.

Sunday we did some odd and ends around the house and I started ot think why don't I start on the punching bag? Went upstairs and for half an hour the wife and I switched on pulvarizing that thing. We concentrated on certain movements to really hit our abs and I am so sore today. We are goign to incorporate the heavy bag to at least twice if not three times per week. I took today off but I am sure I will do some wall squats to keep things moving.

Lovign life right now.

Mary Pickford

So sore today. Worked out big time focusing on heavy lifting today with legs and threw in some kettle ball.

Did 315 on assisted squats-would love to do regular but the back isn't quite where it needs to be. 3 sets of those followed by variation push-ups. These consist of one of those half medicine balls with the flat surface on bottom and walking my hands back and forth from side to side doing push-ups once I switch sides. It wasn't as bad as I thought but it's good for the variation.

3 sets of lunges with 20 lb weights for about 30 yds. Some triceps and then finished it all up in the pool with 5 laps. It nearly killed me but thats all in a good days work and it's going to help me reach my goal of getting back into fighting shape by our beach trip in mid July.

I fell off the wagon a little with my nutrition (lots of sweets lately). I don't think it's a bad thing every now and again to treat yourself but once you start it's hard to stop. Since last week, I have refocused my efforts with regards to nutrition and a continuous workout regimen that I can already feel the diofferences. My energy levels are back-up, I am sleeping better and a lot of the pain is gone. I just have to continue to stay focused and work my ass off to reach my goals.

I was also thinking about doing a 3 week power lifting program when we return. I will continue to workout at the beach but I want to add a little size to my frame again. Whe I started in February I was 193 and after weighing myself today I am back down to 173 lbs which is sophomore yr in HS. I understand I am in better shape and I have lost over 20 lbs in just over 3-4 months but I just feel too small right now. I am more defined na dmore agile which is a good thing but in order to really reach the goals I have set forth I would need to be around 183-185 lbs. That would be an increase of 11-13 lbs of added muscle. I do need ot add more protein to my diet and more fat. Everything else falls in line with what I am trying to accomplish.

Mary Pickford

I am loving this lifestyle. I worke up this morning feeling like a million bucks and looking like it as well. My wife can't get over the transformation. My entire life I have played sports at very high levels to include a yr of college football (tore up my shoulder), joined the Army and helpes set new standards for their PT program, well versed in combat and with the scars to prove it. I have done more in my 30 yrs athletically than most do in their lives. 5 sports in HS, 1 in college plus all the fraternity sports (I was young and dumb-leave me alone), helped train countless thousands in the art of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for the Army and fought hand to hand with not so nice people overseas but until now I haven't had the results I wanted.

It all comes down to diet and how I exercise now. I was a victim of chronic cardio, over training and meat headedness. I still have a little of all three but I have turned them into strengths instead of weaknesses. My nutrition has improved my health so much that my Fibromyalgia is almost completely gone. I srtated a pilto program with the local VA to help other soldiers who suffer from PTSD and Fibro. My Fibro was caused by an injury in combination with PTSD. This lifestyle has awarded me the opportunity to fight these things off with little to no medication. The only pills I take now are Multi-vitamin, fish oil and an occasional Aleve (Last All Day!!!). With this my mindset has changed and brought forth a new confidence.

A lot of people I talk to about this lifestyle in general think of it as a fad when we speak of only generalities but when we get into the details and how easy it really is then the light bulbs start to go off. When you tell someone about the free range meat with no additiives (Hormones, pesticides in the food cows eat) they start to realize well hey, that makes sense. People don't realize how easy this is. Of course I am not the best at the fat to protein ratio stuff but for me it's about eatintg healthy and being active. I eat a big salad with a ton of veggies with a clean protein source everyday along with fish 3-4 tiomes per week. We re-incorporated red meats and my energy went through the roof even more. This lifestlye has improved my Quality of Life and made me realize that this is the one thing we have control over so why not take advantage. My co-workers struggle after lunch with tiredness, lack of mental clarity and they just get lethargic. As for me I am awake, full of life and making the best of everything.

I thnak you Mark and everyone else here for pushing me in the right direction again. It's easy to fall off the wagon but once you do you realize just how good you felt before the fall. I eat bad every now and again but I pride myself on being in the 85% PB category. With everyday I am pushing to increae that. I will never be 100% b/c I don't want to be. I want those occasioanl cheat days so I can enjoy the sugars and carbs. It keeps me focused and feeds that enormous sweet tooth of mine.

Well i am heading out for a family weekend so take care of keep the good fight going.

Mary Pickford

Rough start to the day. Little man has been fighting off a cold for the past few days but thankfully it seems to be breaking up a little. He just started his first day of Day Care and not sure if that means he'll just get sicker or just keep getting over it.

Had a small lapse with the sugar cravings this weekend. We traveled to the wonderful land of North Carolina ot see the folks and when we travel there we eat like the old days. While its nice to do so occasionally I am dragging pretty bad right now. It just seems so hard to believe that after eating pretty good for weeks and then just 2 days could make feel this way but such is life.

Skipped Breakfast- not by choice
    Lunch- unfortunaetly Subway- probably tuna sub
    Snack- Sweet peppers, blue berries, carrots
    Dinner- Tilapia with steamed veggies.

Mary Pickford

Not sure but for some reaosn right now I feel amazing. Last night after indulging in my one vice I started to think as I often do and began writing. I didn't really have any particular focus but just ran with it. I started to write about how my life really rocks but how my personality can derail that happiness. Unfortunately it is the truth but I have always known this. Whether its a self-destructive perosnality trait or a lack of self confidence I am nto really sure. Best guess- a combo of both. Sounds strange to put that out there for people to see but again with ym writing I've realized a few things. Why give a rat;s ass what other people think? 95% of all people strongly doubtthemselves regardless of what image they portray. I have done things only a select few have had the pleasure of doing from snowboarding in the mountains of Northern Iraq to visiting the ancietn city of Babylon (what the Nazi's left of it anyways) and fought hand to hand with some rather unsavory fellows. I realized that our lives are what we make of it not what other people think.

Our time here is short so why not do everything possible to enjoy it, to lengthen it and get every bit of energy and happiness from each second. Why waste time on anything when time is in short suppluy. I never want to be that person who regresta nd wishes things could have been different if I did this or did that. I know it sounds like a self-help book nonsense but it's the truth. I plan on living this life everyday to the fullest and squeeze out all the life possible. Will I feel like it everyday, no but why nto try. I understand that life can be tough. I've seen the horrors of man. I know the feeling of watching someone's life fade away. I can longer accept the status quo anymore.

This morning- Had a great freaking morning. We slept in a little and the wife and I worked out while the baby watched. "My baby can read". We started out doing simple fit and got through about 10 minutes of it but when Liam started crying it was time to take a break. I will continue to do push-ups and abs at the office and go for a nice long walk during my lunch break.

Breakfast- cooked bacon in the pan and poured the eggs in afterwards to get all those savory bacon flavor.
    Lunch- Big ass salad with Red Bell Peppers, tuna, carrots, grapes, blueberries and light Italian (ran out of EVOO)
    Snack- additional can of tuna. Going for high protein over the next few weeks to really boost lean muscle mass.
    Dinner- some kind of fish with steamed sweet potatoes and Broccoli- HMMMM leftovers tomorrow.

Mary Pickford

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast