Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenege- AppalachianMatt page 2

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Forgot to mention that I went to the Farmer's Mkt. Bought a ton of veggies (mostly dark greens), some good fruits and a lot of meat. The Turkey was kind of reasonable and the Chicken wasn't too bad. The Ground Sirloin was a bit pricey but manageable. I've noticed that the veggies/fruits are reasonably priced but the meats are a little higher then I'd expect considering there isn't any real processing involved.

At this point though I don't really care. This is just an observation and with my wife going to start working soon (just graduated form Emory's PA program) we'll be able to afford this a lot more. I make a comfortable living but in sales especially healthcare you just never know what might happen.

The wife and I had a long talk last night while I was doing my taxes about clean living. She isn't on the site but since I cook and buy the food she pretty much is on board. She's a certified nutritionist from her schooling so she helps explain a lot of the natural processes and why i should eat more of this and not that. Very helpful. B/c of this site I have decided ot really learn as much as I can about nutrition and the effects food has on us. I want to do this from a different perspective though. I know everyone's body reacts differently but I want to focus and do a research study on my fellow Atlantan Primals to see their progress, what may hinder their progress and overall strategy. Should be an interesting project. Of course they have to agree to it and there will be some quality control issues but theres always room for error.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Blorton is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good, Matt! Which market did you go to? I noticed the other day that Costco now sells grassfed ground beef, but didn't check the pricing. I'll have to do that next time. It's packaged in four one pound lumps, and I'm thinking that'd make some awesome burgers!

Sign me up for that study whenever you launch it, but I'm afraid I might not make much of a case since I'm only ten pounds or so from my goal weight.

Blorton: We go to the Farmer's Market in Dekalb. It's nto as local as I once thought but still a lot of great deals. My wife apparently found one closer to the house with only local farm products. I ffel better about this since I'll actually be helping my neighbors instead of the farms in Cali and Mexico.

This morning I worked out ont he bowflex for about 30 minutes and got a great burn in. Focused mostly on strength and flexibility.

Today had 3 eggs, mushrooms, yellow Bell Peppers for Breakfast followed by a protein shake with Banana and Strawberries for lunch. My mid afternoon meal was a large salad with Romaine, Kale, Sweet Chard, Bell Peppers, Carrots and Balsamic Vinagrette. Good stuff. Went for a wlk afterward for about 30 minutes around the office and stip malls. Feels great to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. It is supposed ot get to 80 degrees today and i am going to try my best to get out of the office as much as possible today. All depends on how work unfolds. Going okay so far.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Sore as can be today. The wife spent a solid 30 minutes massaging my back trying to get the softball knots out. Fibromyalgia is no joke and today i am paying for it. Yes the muscle are a little more relaxed but holy hell it hurts like the dickens. I have a pretty high threshhold for pain after being stabbed and shot but I mean this is ridiculous. Went to the Chiropractor this morning and had some work done as well which makes it hurt even worse. He does the Activator which is a little gun type thing that he pops in certain areas to releive stress and get things lined back up properly. I plan on beating this within the next 1-2 months. This new lifestyle has helped but I am sick and tired of dealing with back issues everyday. I have to watch the way I sit (no longer than 20 minutes at a time), make sure I have great posture (thanks Army- thats pretty much taken care of), stretch every morning just to get things going. This has turned more into a rant but damnit I am just tired of this. I went from a storng, agile athlete to someone who has to watch every step of the way to prevent further injury.

Alright thats it. Now I'm tired of ranting. Well the month long project has gone well so far with a few minor lapses due to time constraints and obligations but I do feel I have more energy and I am living more natural. I just posted a link on the forum about how the Gov't is failing miserably in controling the residues and chemicals in our food. I may pay more for my steaks but at least there are no hormones, antiobiotics or rBGH.

Mary Pickford

Still feel like I got hit by a damn bus right now. Hopefully recovery will kick take care of most of this by tomorrow. If not it's the jacuzzi and swimming for me.

Mary Pickford

Didn't get to workout this morning which was probably a good thing. My body has needed a few extra days of recovery to get past this little episode but not a big deal. Having a another big ass salad for lunch with Bell Peppers, carrots, celery, kale, chard, etc. Love that stuff and of course the staple of tuna. Need my protein. I have been using fitday.com to help track fat, protein, carbs. I have an avg goal to hit each day but I think I need ot focus on more fats in my diet which just sounds bizarre but true.

Mary Pickford

Went for a nice little stroll during lunch. Probably walked a good mile or 2. I went a different route today and the weather is amazing. It was a little chilly this morning but not too bad. Going to hopefully go for a walk this afternoon with the family and then play with the dogs in the backyard. I've been thinking about adding a few things to the backyard to help with my workouts. This Christmas we're building a playground set for the boy but I may modify it a little so I can get some a good workout on it as well. A pull up bar, area to do dips na dI'ld love to be able to put some gymnast rings out there. After watching a Crossfit video the other day I so want to add that to my routine. My back would hate me for the first 2 weeks or so but it'll get used to it.

Mary Pickford

Dentist appt today and I need some work done that will total around $1200 after insurance. Awesome. I grind really bad as well as chew during the night. I do this b/c I live a very stressful lifestlye (work mostly) and also I still have a few symptoms of PTSD. Most are gone (nightmares, anxiety) but thwne the lights go out who knows what happens on a subconcious level inside my head. I actually feel my wife occaisonally shut my outh during the night to stop the chewing. I know many will say well just get another job. I make good money, love what I do, have a young family and my wife isn't working right now until she finishes her board for P.A. A lot on my plate but I like it that way. I love the responsibility and effort in involved in being me. Keeps me motivated and on track.

Not working out again today due to a nagging shoulder but tomorrow we're all heading over to the gym to workout/swim. Going to be a faun packed, physically active day with yard work, cleaning and maybe a little grilling. This is my relaxation period is getting out there and spending some time in the yard in the sun. That type of work for me is a labor of love. My place looks great, I get to work outside and soak up the rays listening to my music and thinking. I never get that much time to sit back and ponder about life and have that internal dialogue. You know crazy talk tyhat everyone does but never says anythiugn about it. My old Physics professor once told me that the best psychiatrist heever knew was himself. No one knows you better and we all do it. He also said that the only crazy epople are the ones who won't admit it.

Mary Pickford

Cynarin is offline Senior Member
    I feel you on the stress and anxiety thing. I've been debating even spending the money for a night guard just to try to manage until I get the stress under control.

Have a nice weekend; it sounds really pleasant and hopefully stress-reducing!
    "To shed all the illusory rights & hesitations of history demands the economy of some legendary Stone Age--shamans not priests, bards not lords, hunters not police, gatherers of paleolithic laziness, gentle as blood, going naked for a sign or painted as birds, poised on the wave of explicit presence, the clockless nowever." --Hakim Bey, TAZ

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cynarin : Thanks and it sucks about the night gaurd but I like my teeth and hopefully this thing won't be too cumbersome.

Had a great weekend with the family. Hung out with little man all day Saturday while the wife studied for her Boards. I think the pollen got a little to me since my throat is a little scratchy. Feel great except for that. No congestion, headaches just an annoying scratchy feeling. When the little one went down I was able to knock out the yard work. Never realized that my little hilly section of the yard could be such a good push/pull work out. When going up I try to pick up the pace. Notn only is it a good workout but it counts down on the total time when you pick up the pace.

Didn't go to the gym but got a P90x workout in later that day. Saturday dinner was excellent. Caulflower mash with fresh Beets and some lovely marinated chicken. Sunday was pretty restful. We went to my nephews birthday party and spent hours in the sun. Felt great to get out there and goof around with the kids a little. Our little man has the kung fu death grip already. He's almost 6 months old but can basically hold himself up on the monkey bars. Don't worry I had my hands on him to ensure he didn't fall but I actually let go for about 3 or 4 seconds (with ym hands right there) and he held on like a champ. Not bad for less than 6 months.

Monday- Went ot the gym this morning and did the dreaded leg workouts. I didn't go too heavy as I am really focusing on more finctionality instead of heavy right now. But did 5 sets of variation squats with little rest, tri's, pull-ups and lunges to finish it all off. Legs feel a little sluggish but not bad. I have been drinking water like crazy as well as some extra protein. Going to shoot for another walk after work to help get the kinks out. Brought another big salad today with some chicken (the good stuff).

After looking at my diet I need ot add more fat. My protein intake is pretty good and my carbs are right around where I want them to be but not enough fat. Which is still odd to me considering everything we're taught how bad it is but going to try and add more avocado, nuts and more bacon to the mix. That should get me to thwre I need to be.

Mary Pickford

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast