Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenege- AppalachianMatt page 16

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Little man has strep throat so last night was rough. Still got up this morning and knocked out 50 push-ups and 25 pull-ups before leaving for work. At the office I have been slammed but managed to get in another 50 push-ups and did some abs before lunch and I'll hit the heavy bag tonight for about 10-15 minutes. Tired but still feeling good.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Feeling pretty good with my recent changes. Diet is probably the biggest change we've made as a family. Our garden has produced some really good acorn squash and the tomatoes are just about ready to be picked. Yesterday I ran around the backyard with my son and had a blast. We were both exhausted after playing chase. I have added pull-ups to the fray to help get a bit more exercise in. He chases me and as I run I'll jump and do pull-ups on a branch while he runs under me. He loves. The last few I thought I would die b/c he started ot grab my feet and hang on when I did my pull-ups.

Planning on dusting off the heavy bag tonight followed by abs and lunges.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Good morning all. After this weekend I feel energized and ready to go. I have my workout plan in motion and can already feel the effects. I slacked off a bit on the diet/nutrition this weekend due to a ridiculous schedule but back on track this morning.

3 eggs, 3 strips of bacon, bowl of fruit and even a few veggies from last nights dinner. Sinc eI don't have time for a gym and I am at the big hospital I will walk the five flights of stairs 5 times throughout the day. I am going to take a break every hour to get some movement, do some push-ups, take a walk outside to get some sun and hit up the stairs. Tonight will be a good dinner, play withe kiddies and then off to bed at a decent time.

With myself getting back to the basics I plan on reading the Primal blueprint to get me fired up again. The biggets issue I have faced so far is time set aside for working out. So instead of blocking off an hour here or 30 minutes there I will just workout whenever and wherever I can go. I would love to do crossfit but wityh the amount of hours I work and drive back and forth I don't want to spend that time away form my family. I just have ot take advantage of the time I have and work with what I've got. I am slowly building up enough equipment for a home gym so my wife and son can workout with me.

Mary Pickford

Just ran the second 5 flights of stairs and had a fabulous lunch. Sweet potatoes, carrots, berries, red bell pepper and a can of tuna. I love this stuff. It was tough thoguh b/c my hospital is having their 70's day where everything cost whatever it did in the 70s. Coke is $0.17, burgers a quarter (after acually seeing the burger it wasn't too hard-looked like your typical processed meat pressed into an unforgiving circle) and curly fries (not from the 70's ) for 15 cents. Despite loving to eat healthy I am always drawn to burgers and fries (grew up with a Dad who managed multiple fast food restuarants) but I've stayed strong and will continue to do so.

Afternoon snack; apple, orange and some almonds.

Afternoon workout: 30-50 push-ups, 3 more times up and down the stairs

Tonight: Hitting the heavy bag for a few minutes.

Mary Pickford

With two young kids consistent sleep has become a distant memory but such is life. Woke up without my alarm clock this morning (30 minutes before the set time) so I was able to get up and get a good stretch and warm up in. I did a mini-workout, had a hearty breakfast of 4 eggs, 2 strips of turkey bacon (hate that stuff) and some leftover sweet potatoes. Good strong cup of black coffee and a glass of good ol' high quality H20.

I will do my usual walk around the hospital and then some lunges followed by push-ups throughout the day but if it isn't oppressively hot I want to take the kids to the park and use the jungle gym to work out on. In the next 2 weeks I am going to build a slosh pipe and use that but I really want to put in a pull-up bar in the backyard to use. I use the trees we have now for pull-ups and climbing but I want to be able to try and do a muscle up within 6 months. I've always wanted to do one so thats my next fitness goal. After seeing the youtube videos with Bar-barians I've got to be able to do that.

Lunch- PB&J with fruit
    Dinner-Pork chops, acorn squash, beets and broccoli

For the next 30 days, I am giving up all soft drinks, candies and limiting my grain intake to next to nothing. I am going to focus on eating lots of veggies, nuts and meat while maintaining a consistent workout regimen. I admit I do eat some breads and the occasional pasta but for the most part I try my best to stay away from grains as a whole. Getting my youngest son to do so will be a challenge but one worth taking.

Mary Pickford

What a good day to be alive. We had a great weekend and life just seems to make sense right now, everything is conign together as planned with a few minor hiccups but still right on track. I started my 30 day challenge this morning, really last night and I want to see how much healthier I'll be afterwards. I may have torn my rotator cuff this weekend or at least hurt it in some capacity. I am pretty limited as to my movements but a side effect of eating and living healthy should help the healing process. The 30 day challenge is to get the ball rolling and get me back on track. I just want to be healthy and enjoy every second I have.

30 day challenge:
    30 minutes of exercise everyday- focus on total body.
    Upper body will be difficult so I'll just start with rehabbing my shoulders to build strength.
    Also a major focus on abs and back- mychronic back pain has been flaring up recently.
    I will walk at least 1 mile a day and hit the stairs at work (5 flights) at least 4 times per day.
    Stretching more consistently, possibly add yoga to the mix.

Nurtition:
    No more sodas. I have been on a binge lately and that has to stop.
    Cutting out sweets entirely. No more cookies, ice cream, etc. My sweets will now consists of an apple, grapes, blueberries
    Coffee- black only
    Veggies- 5-6 servings per day. I want this to be more of a focus than fruits.
    Fruit- 2-3 servgings per day.
    Cutting back on grains. I can't completely cut them out but at least back 50%.

Sleep:
    Getting on a better schedule/cycle.

Play:
    Everyday is a playday and will continue to be. Children do in fact keep you young.

Reading:
    Absorbing as much info as possible on living healthier. We've got at leats 20 Scientific Americans I need to go through.

Dinner last night:
    Fried Chicken breasts (coconut oil)
    Acorn squash with cinnamon, touch of butter and honey
    Steamed sweet potatoes
    Baked beans

Breakfast:
    Cinnamon Raisin bagle with peanut butter and banana
    Coffee

Snack:
    Carrots, blueberries, Cherry tomato

Lunch:
    Leftovers, chicken, acorn squash and sweet potatoes

Mary Pickford

Back in business. Hello all I have returned from my unhealthy hiatus to get back on track and back to where I want and need to be. The past year has been crazy with my new job, having our 2nd child and dealing with my commute. I love my job but I drive about 800 miles a week for work. They pay me very well and give me $500 a month for gas but still its grueling to sit in a care for that long.

I'm starting back pretty basic and getting the momentum going again. My back issues have flared up yet again but that stems from sitting too long and a lack of activity. I have devised a cure for that to keep stress levels down, activity up and make my day go by faster. I have a set goal to accomplish each and every day in regards to working out, work completed and diet.

Each day I do a minimum of 100 push-ups, 150 squats/lunges, dips, etc broken down hourly. I try my best to hit 160-180 PUs, 200 squats and 50 dips per day but that all depends on how many interviews I have to conduct and what deadlines I have.

Diet: We have gotten back to our healthy habits of 4-5 servings of various veggies with 2-3 servings of fruit each day. We have our staples; sweet potatoes, broccoli and carrots but we're adding in more Cauliflower, acorn squash and Asparagus. This weekend we're heaidng back to the Farmer's market to see what other veggies we can grab. As for meats, we are cutting back on the red meat and delving into more fish. For a while we ate fish 2-3 times per week but started eating more beef and pork chops for something different.

My main goal is to get rid of my back pain and get in phenomenal shape. I was well on my way but either complacency or work got in the way. I know that if I stop moving my back will start aching again which leads to a lower quality fo life which I can no longer accept. I would love to eventually get into crossfit and try that out for the challenge.
    Last edited by AppalachianMatt; 12-12-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typos

Mary Pickford

What a good weekend. I had a lot of one on one time with the kids and we played and ran around until we all passed out. Now thats the play I need to stay fresh and motivated. We also rejoined a gym and while I have ranted about the concept of a gym I understand my personality is the sole reason I need to join a gym.

Chaning my personal perception (again): I, like most men, played sports in High school and college. I have always been a aprt of a team and I thrive in those situations. The ability to work with a group to accomplosh something has always been a motivator for me. I joined a fraternity and eventually the Army with those very thoughts and succeeded due to having others push me and give me the opportunity to lead. As for my body I go through phases where health is the most important thing and after 6 months to a year other things come into focus (kids, work, bills, etc) which lead to not devoting enough time to workout or eat right. My back will get as strong as an ox and then when I lose my focus (stop working out) the pain returns and have the same conversation wiht myself. I need to work out, eat better, sleep more, read more, relax, etc. The cycle never ends and with my new years resolution of getting into better shape physically, mentally and spiritually I feel I have the opportunity to start creating healthier habits. The ulitmate goal is to regain the focus on living better for not only myself but my wife and kids. I want to be around to bug them forever!!!

Changing Focus: I used to want to look like every body builder in the magazines. I wanted 23 inch biceps, huge oak trees for legs and that standard six pack but after a back injury and putting on 25 lbs of muscle while deployed I realized those were shallow and superficial. I wanted all those things so others could see the hardwork I put in but now I just want to be healthy, lean and athletic again. I know now that I need to focus on building my back and abs to alleviate back pain but the overall focus is on total body fitness. My cardio is now full-court basketball games instead of long 5-10 mile runs. While I do like the occasional run (clears the mind), I like having the ability to play 5-6 games back to back. I have started rock climbing to help build endurance and strength. I will get back to the point where I can physically tackle any obstacle. I don't care anymore if I can bench 250 lbs. I want to have the ability to handle anything that comes my way whether that be an attacker or a game of flag football.

Dietary focus: My job is very stressful and I haven't always made the best choices. Fast food is always there and its quick and easy. I can justify it in my own mind but now I am taking a more serious approach to picking what goes into my body. I work in HR and there is more candy here than you could imagine. Ever wonder why hospitals are home to some of the fattest working Americans? A lack of healthy choices but also candy. They literally buy 30-40 pounds of it at the beginning of every month. We tried fruit like apples, bananas, oranges but I was the only won who would eat them.

When I first started the Primal blueprint I dove right in. Lost 25 lbs in 30 days by just eating extremely healthy. I went from 195 lbs to 169 lbs, way too skinny znd looked cancer stricken. Now I am taking a more sensible approach. I am eating those big ole salads almost daily again with carrots, blue berries, grapes, tuna, almonds and homemade dressing. I through in as many veggies as I can, steamed sweet potatoes from the previous night, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. My main thing is replacing the candy with healthier choices. We eat 5-9 servings of veggies a day (most come at dinner we have 3-4 veggies) but I use the leftovers for lunch the next day. Sweet Potatoes with a little cinnamon and honey taste just as good as BBQ chips.

Workout: I try to go to the gym 3 days a week to play basketball, swim with the kiddies and hit the weights. I do most of my workouts at the office. Daily goal is 160 push-ups, 150 squats or lunges or climb 5 flights of stairs 3-4 times and abs broken down through the day. Time mgmt is big with ym job and having the ability to break it down every hour helps me stay focused and energized throughout the day. I only drink one cup of coffee so push-ups or stairs give me the extra push I need. I don't have time to hit up the gym everyday (nor do I want to) but by doing 20-30 pushs every hour allows me to get a good workout and build endurance while keeping energy levels up.

This was a bit of a ramble but I feel like using this website I can get my ideas out there and allow myself to be open to new ideas while hopefully helping others.

Mary Pickford

Another outstanding weekend and man how I wish they would last longer. Went to the gym this weekend and did some circuit training with the wife and I;m a little sore but nothing too bad. I am focusing more on total body than hitting chest one day then back, etc. I did pull-ups, Leg press, shoulders, abs and finished it all off by taking the kids for a swim.

Nutrition:
    Breakfast- cinnamon raisin bagel with peanut butter and sliced banana.
    Morning snack - Greek yogurt plus Protein bar
    Lunch - Gargantuan salad - 1 head of lettuce, baby carrots, blue berries, strawberries, can of tuna, almonds
    Dinner - Haven't thought that far ahead yet.

Goals:
    My main focus on getting back in shape is to alleviate all back pain and to live better but I have had a few friends who recently completed the tough mudder course and it peaked my interest. When I was in the Army I cherished the days spent at the obstacle course. The military do not utilize these nearly enough since they make you focus on total body fitness and endurance. I want so badly to do the course and I will but there is much work to be done. The wife and I are taking it one day at a time and will eventually build up to this.

In the past I wuld just jump right into a fitness routine without second thoughts or preperation and my back would flare up or I would lose interest. This time I want to take a better and well prepared approach that focuses on nutrition first and then once I build my endurance to where it should be I will tackle anything that comes my way.

Fitness plan:
    Gym three days a week with a concentration (especially in the beginning on abs and back). 2 days during the week and one day on the weekend to workout then take the kids swimming. On those off days there will be a combo of rest and plyometrics. My son and I wrestle quite a bit (teaching him very basic Jui Jitsu) and one day of sprints or playing basketball.

Health goals:
    I am going to do a body fat test, get a physical so I can map out exactly where I am and where I want to be. I would love ot pack on 15 lbs of lean muscle but the main thing is to not get bulky and to be healthy.

Mary Pickford

Another great day to be alive. Had a halfway decent night of sleep and woke up feeling pretty good. Of cours eI am a little tired and run down (head cold) but any day we wake up is a good day.

Today is a day of rest. I may do a few flights of stairs but mostly stretching and walking. My sahoulder is a bit sensitive which happens after taking a long break from working out. In 98 I had my shoulder surgically rebuilt and from time to time it flares up but with a consistent working routine that should go away rather quickly. Just like my back I need to work my way into a fitness routine and build my endurance and strength. Once thats complete its smooth sailing.

Tomorrow morning I am going to the gym for a 45 minute workout followed by some much needed time in the pool. Figure a solid workout then hitting some ice cold water will do a body good.

Mary Pickford

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast