Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenege- AppalachianMatt page 12

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Taking a little break today with the workouts. I need the rest but I am still sitting on the medicine ball for about 2 hours and will go for a long walk.

B'fast- 2 scrambled eggs with 2 sausage patties
    Lunch- Big ass salad with tuna, carrots, celery and bell peppers.
    Snack- Can of Sardines
    Dinner- ???
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Stayed at home yesterday with little man who had a 24 hour bug. That has passed and back to the daily grind. Well I didn't really do much yesterday in regards ot working out as I needed a day of rest.

Dinner last night was fried Tilapia, steamed aspargas wrapped in bacon and acron squash.

B'fast- banana, apple, coffee
    Lunch- Big ass salad with tuna, red bell pepper, carrots, almonds.
    Snack- can of sardines
    Dinner- ?
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Had a great weekend but ate like crap and I enjoyed every second of it. I used the extended weekend to eat whatever I wanted while cranking up the workouts. I am back on the proper nutritional path today and ready for an exciting next few weeks. I am geared up my workout to involve more natural movements then before. Previously I had mainly focused on variation push-ups, variation pull-ups and lunges. I've started ot add the Gork walk and luckily no one can really see me in my backyard b/c while it was a great workout I felt quite stupid doing them. I know I shouldn't care but they do look pretty silly. I started to do more lunges outside on uneven terrain so I can really work on those stabilizing muscles. I can already see an improvement in my balance and my ability to move side to side.

B'fast- 1/2 cup of Oatmeal with yogurt and blueberries
    Lunch- Big ass Salad with ROmaine, tuna, bell peppers, carrots, avocado, grapes, almonds
    Snack- Can of Sardines
    Dinner- Chicken with acorn squash and broccoli.

Mary Pickford

Just got back from a 30 minute walk with a few stairs inbetween. I started wearing my Vibrams agian and can't remember why in the hell I stopped wearing them. It just feels so damn good to be able to walk around and actually feel the ground with your feet instead of rubber glued to the bottom of a shoe. The wife got her pair last week and wore them to work today so we'll see what the verdict is from her boss. She loves them and somehow they've helped her with her knees issues (keeping thr swelling down a bit).

Well tonight and for the rest of the day I will be taking it pretty easy. I'm finally learning rest is a good thing and while the body weight exercises aren't too demanding on my joints I figure it best to relax a little more and enjoy the fruits of my labor. But tomorrow morning its back to killing it by focusing on body weight and may throw in some Boxflex to really hit my back. Depending on when I wake up I will try and do more lunges, grok crawls before my neighbors and kid wake. They look so stupid but man do they work.

Mary Pickford

Another great day so far. Just returned from a 20 minute walk of close to 1.5 miles and now eating my big ass salad. Woke up a little early this morning to a crying baby but no worries. Fed him and he basically went back to sleep for another hour and a half. I took full advantage and got in a killer workout and really did a good job of focusing on my abs and upper body. I didn't get to really hit up the legs but that'll be tomorrow. No bowflex either.

I have started a more intense ab routine with no sit-ups. I have incorporated more fighting techniques into my workouts. I'm not trying to get back in the ring (MMA) but I've learned that if you really want to get in shape then try to mimic your preferred fighting style with intensity. For me I use a lot of boxing, Jui Jitsu (wrestling with the wife- well it has other benefits as well) and my own personal style. While doing each style (or mixing) the important thing is to stay focus, keep it intense for 30 sec to 1 minute and squeeze the abs.

I always try to squeeze my abs as if I am about to get punched in the gut. I think Mark described it as squeeze your abs as if you were blowing out a birthday candle while getting punched in the gut. What he said then. Also it is a great workout for driving or sitting behind a desk staring at a computer all day. Just by squeezing your abs at random times throughout the day can give you rock solid abs in no time. I know it sounds weird but CW has led us to believe that sit ups are the answer. I never understood this reasoning considering the sit-up isn't a functional movement. It causes strain of the neck and let's face it, if you don't have proper form you're just wasting your time.

the 6 week workout I started fell by the wayside. I still workout the same but my workouts are so random and spontaneous its hard to keep track of. So I'm still using the platform of 6 weeks (4 weeks left) but I haven't really solidified any numbers. The main reasoning behind that is at first I had a few arbitrary numbers I had thrown around but nothing really stuck so my new focus is away from vanity and now on just getting in ridonkulous shape. The true goal is to get on the show Wipeout with ym Grok shirt and demolish the course. To me, it would not even matter what the other contestants do but how well I can make it through and how fast. I see it as a personal challenge thats worth conquering.

Dinner last night- Chicken with Brussel Sprouts, corn on the cobb

Breakfast- smoothie
    4 eggs with mushrooms, green bell peppers
    Lunch- Big ass salad with Romaine, Kale, Salmon, grapes, bell peppers (yellow and green) carrots, mushrooms
    Snack- almond butter and celery
    Sardines

Dinner- ?

Mary Pickford

Motivation is running at full steam again today and I have so much stuff to finish up. Not sure if tomorrow is my last day or not but I am at a point in my life where I'm not goign to worry about that anymore. Too many good thigns going on and when one dorr closes another opens.

Didn't eat b'fast which sucks. I don't know how people consistently IF b/c when I don't eat I get agitated. In the Army we would go 2-3 days on barely any food in the field but thats also a completly different animal. Survival mode is one thing but doing it for fun is another. Didn't get a chance ot work out this morning but no biggie. I'll knock out some wall sits, squats, push ups later on today. No time for a walk today.

Focusing today on setting myself up for next week (if I'm here) and/or getting things organized for the next yahoo who takes my spot. Despite all this I am seeing things more clearly than ever before. I feel alive and see everything through the eyes of someone who is optimistic instead of pessimistic.

Hope everyone out there has a kick ass day and always remember that we chose our attitude, we chose how we perceive the world. You can look at it and think we're all going down the drain or that we have a monumental opportunity to make a difference. What choice will you make?

Mary Pickford

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    I always do the ab thing. Especially when driving. Others have told me it's a waste of time. Whatever! LOL I agree about sit ups hurting the neck. I'll hurt for three days after. Just not worth it. There are too many other things to do.
    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

No matter life throws at you always remember this. It too shall pass.

Mary Pickford

What an amazing day. I just feel alive and I seriously don't think theres much of anythign that could pull me down right now. I have been going through a little bit of a stressful situation at work with the potential of losing my job. The idea of not being able to provide has kept me up at nights more often than I care to admit. Now, my wife makes really good money so we're very fortunate on that front but it still troubles me enough to the point where I began questionning myself and my own worth.

My wife being as awesome as she is said something to me yesterday that I will never forget. She looked at me and said that we need to stop worrying about all the outside nonsense and focus on making everyday valuable. We need ot stop trying to live up to these certain goals people have always told us we need ot aspire to and enjoy what we have. Those simple words hit me like a ton of bricks. I have an amazing family, pretty nice house and enough saved up to last for a while. Life couldn't be better unless we won the lottery. I can't get that thought out of my head and when I arrived at the office this morning I was in shock of how positive I still felt. Whatever happens happens and I will no longer see things as black and white. If this job doesn't work out then so what. It's not the end of the world and besides it only opens up more doors of opportunity. I have begun to look into getting my teaching degree, different fields of medicine, coaching, or whatever. The point I is I am tired of this bullshit notion that we have to make a certain amoutn of money or drive a certain type of car. I want a Quality of Life, I want to be able to enjoy my kid and give him every advantage possible. My boss makes about $750K a year and has done so since he was about 30 (13 yrs ago) but he is always traveling, always at business meetings and works a lot. If that is what successful is defined as then it can kiss my ass b/c I'd rather keep making what I am now or less and have the time to spend with family.

I will be doing some light workouts here at the office then off to walk for about 30 minutes after lunch.

Tomorrow is heavy day with the bowflex, lunges and squats.

Mary Pickford

Got a solid workout this morning on the Bowflex for my resistance training. Ate 4 eggs with sausage plus a carrot dipped in Almond butter. I'm really trying to throw in a bigger breakfast by adding more veggies and calories/carbs. I'm trying to pack on 5-10 more pounds of muscle to my frame so adding full fat cottage cheese and more almond butter should help me reach this within the next 4-5 weeks.

Going for another walk today and also doing squats in the office inbetween reports and paperwork.

I hav apparently become the go to guy for fitness in my office as 5 people with 2 of their wives have asked me what I do and how hard is it. I explain to them that getting in shape doesn't mean a costly gym membership nor does it require too much exercise. When I tell them nutrition is 80% of the battle they look at me with this confused look. I do my best to explain to them that like a car if you put the cheapest gas then it will not run at its full capacity. It will eventually wear down and then you have costly repairs. I explain how simple things are by just eating more veggies, fruit (more veggies than fruit of course) and a clean protein source. I tell them how we eat fish 3-4 times a week, red meat twice and chicken the other nights. They always ask, well is that expensive? No it isn't. We get the majority of our foods from local farmers we know and trust and they are amazed.

It truly is a simple lifestyle as long as you make it that way. You can count carbs, calories, fat content or whatever but it all boils down to eating good food that isn't processed and as fresh as possible. It really only adds an additional 20 minutes of time to my shopping with the extra driving to the Dekalb Farmers Market so not a big deal. If that means less itme in front of the tv then so be it. I also explained how on the Doctors that if people would just stand up and move a little while they watch tv they will decrease their liklihood of cardiac problems by almost 18% (was on yesterday morning when they were publicizing their new book). Amazing how just movement will help the body become stronger, leaner and more efficient.

This weekend I am going to start making videos of my workouts and post them. I just want to see what suggestions people may have for me as I understand that everyone has their own variations of workouts. What a random post.
    Last edited by AppalachianMatt; 09-15-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Mary Pickford

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast