Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To all the calorie counters.. page

paul_b is offline Member

To all the calorie counters..

Shop Now
    So just in a debate with some various fitness minded folks and I was explaining to them my goals of losing weight and my calories. I did the calculations that Mr. Sisson lays out in the book and says I should eat roughly 2300 calories. Now due to physical limitations and doctors orders I am only allowed to walk to exercise. So they say 2300 is way too much and that I should be eating like 1200 to 1500....

what do you guys think?

Paul

Paleobird Guest
    Would need to know height, current weight and goal weight to even begin to speculate. And current body fat composition if you know it or can guesstimate.

paul_b is offline Member
    Nice...one second let me grab everything...

paul_b is offline Member
    So I am 33yr old male, roughly 219lbs. I would love to be below 200lbs maybe close to 180.

I have a high tech scale but still not sure how accurate the bodyfat is but it says...28.1% bodyfat...

I really want to lean out...get rid of the belly fat...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_b View Post
    So just in a debate with some various fitness minded folks and I was explaining to them my goals of losing weight and my calories. I did the calculations that Mr. Sisson lays out in the book and says I should eat roughly 2300 calories. Now due to physical limitations and doctors orders I am only allowed to walk to exercise. So they say 2300 is way too much and that I should be eating like 1200 to 1500....

what do you guys think?

Paul
    I say to start at 2300 calories. Walk as much as you can. The walking will support the fat-burning metabolic processes, the same ones that are triggered when you reduce your carbohydrate intake. This will allow you to burn fat for energy. Coupled with the the primal diet, you should be able to lose weight. If you don't lose any weight after a few weeks, you can try to drop the calories, but I wouldn't do anything too drastic before first trying 2300 calories.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

paul_b is offline Member
    Thanks for the info. this was my initial thought, as it is exactly what Sisson lays out. I just lowered them a little more as some of the calculations include the workouts which I can't do at the moment.

thks

paul_b is offline Member
    I keep track using myfitnesspal and as it stands I have it set up like this according to the PB recommendations:

2362cals
    177g protein
    89g carbs
    145g fat

Lewis is offline Senior Member

what do you guys think?
    I think it's absolute nonsense.

If you were eating that little, how would you not lose lean tissue and how would you not slow your metabolism? And again on that low a calorific intake it would be difficult for you to get all the micronutrients you need for healthy functioning.

For my part I wouldn't take advice from "fitness minded folks". You're under the doctor, since you mention "doctors orders". I'd get an opinion from the doctor. I doubt he or she would advise eating as little as 1200 kcal.

Paleobird Guest
    So I am 33yr old male, roughly 219lbs. I would love to be below 200lbs maybe close to 180.

I have a high tech scale but still not sure how accurate the bodyfat is but it says...28.1% bodyfat...

I really want to lean out...get rid of the belly fat...
    Height?

paul_b is offline Member
    Thanks Lewis,,,yeah I am in the same mindset. Funny you mentioned my doctor, cause he is the reason I am starting PB. He is a huge supporter of PB.

That is my thought on the calories too, cause I walk at least 1hr a day first thing in the morning on an empty stomach almost everyday and i am going to try and do at leave 30 mins at night after dinner. I have disc issues in my lower back and have been told by the doctor that I am to walk as much as possible and follow the PB...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast