Thread: I miss my cheese sauce page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

I miss my cheese sauce

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to make it with milk cornstarch and cheese. Can I use arrowroot instead? Or something else?
    Billie trips balls

Ottawa is offline Junior Member
    If you eat non-grainy starches, you can use potato starch or potato flour, or rice flour if you eat rice (you'll have to cook out the flour a bit). Don't use tapioca, as it will make the sauce slimy. I have never tried coconut flour in sauces, but that might be an option as well, or you could use actual blended potato as a thickener, like in stews or soups.

I know some people who make "cream" soups by blending in some white rice, and that might work as well.

Another option is to leave out the starch altogether and make the sauce with cream that has been reduced (simmer over low heat so as not to scorch) and just add your cheese. Very thick and rich.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
    If you eat non-grainy starches, you can use potato starch or potato flour, or rice flour if you eat rice (you'll have to cook out the flour a bit). Don't use tapioca, as it will make the sauce slimy. I have never tried coconut flour in sauces, but that might be an option as well, or you could use actual blended potato as a thickener, like in stews or soups.

I know some people who make "cream" soups by blending in some white rice, and that might work as well.

Another option is to leave out the starch altogether and make the sauce with cream that has been reduced (simmer over low heat so as not to scorch) and just add your cheese. Very thick and rich.
    Thank you
    Billie trips balls

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Oh, good one! Thank you. I usually do fondue on Halloween night, and did it with tapioca last year. This time I will make sure to go for potato starch.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    If you have access to an asian store you might be able to find water chestnut powder which will also work for sauce thickening.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I used to make it with milk cornstarch and cheese. Can I use arrowroot instead? Or something else?
    Why not just make the cheese sauce? It's not like it has gluten in it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    heavy cream and cream cheese melted together and reduced till thick. Add cheese (I like using sharp cheddar) and spices. Mix till cheese is melted. Perfect cheese sauce!
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener