Thread: A change of body and mind, IF, barefoot running, and, of course, pictures. page

speedy611 is offline Junior Member

A change of body and mind, IF, barefoot running, and, of course, pictures.

Shop Now
    Hi, my first post, so thanks for having me as well as the wealth and quality of info here, and to Mark S for inspiration.

I’ll post a question right up front, before doing my before/after and so forth.

The question: what to do next to reduce my body fat?

Current stats and regime:
    Male, 39, 181 cm, 74KG, 12% body fat (calipers done by trained measurer).

Food: Alternate Day Fasting Mon/Wed/Fri for the last 4 months, paleo feeding the remaining days, usually about 1500 or lower calories. A few more at the weekend. Very little or no processed carbs, sugar, or alcohol. Tea only, no coffee. Some dairy, mostly cheese.

Exercise: Long run at the weekend (around 15km average), plus one sometimes two mid week, 5-10km varies (in running sandals, see below). A road-bike ride for an hour perhaps twice a month. A few pullups and some light core work about once every 7-10 days. Sprints every 7-10. Daily cycling of 4x 10 minute bursts (bike-bus-bike)

….and I’m plateaued. I’d like to get the body fat down below 10%, and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, or what to change / do next. Advice would be welcomed please!

My journey

I started in 2008, realising that I needed a change to my standard of busy job, lots of coffee and pastries, followed by the inevitable sugar crash, and then red wine in the evening, repeated until fat and tired.

Over Christmas in 2009/2010 I got a nasty virus that laid me up for 3 weeks. I had no appetite, and lost some weight. I also didn’t drink much other than water – especially coffee and alcohol. Whilst sick I Iistened to an audio book that gave me some advice on portion control and a mental scale for gauging hunger and fullness. I helped, and that year, just managing portions I was able to reduce my weight and waist size. Critically I didn’t go back to the alcohol or the coffee, and I’m convinced this both helped appetite control and mental outlook. Although the portions improved, the constitution of my diet didn’t change much – still the usual mix of sandwiches, cereal, pasta etc, although the processed sugars and carbs decreased somewhat. There was no exercise in place, just the diet.

Over Christmas 2010/2011 I read the 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. This gave me the next step up, and I adopted the slow-carb diet (plus the cheat day). I also realised I needed to start including some exercise. I’d never been a runner, but wanted to try, and had seen Vibrams somewhere. One way or another I stumbled on ‘Born to Run’, and anther piece of the puzzle fell into place. Vibrams were my Christmas present and slowly, I began running. By March 2011 I was up to 10Km. I did my first half marathon in May, in Vibrams, in 1.58. By the end of the year I’d clocked 1000KM, all in barefoot shoes. I switched from Vibrams to sandals/huaraches about October, and haven’t looked back. (pic below).

All the while, I was slowly, slowly getting leaner on the slow-carb diet, and although my weight wasn’t changing much, I could sense and see the difference. Motivation wasn’t hard. As I was getting fitter and clearer, my mother was permanently attached to oxygen after a lifetime of smoking. I was and am determined to be fit and healthy for as long as possible, and keep my mental acuity too.

I’d also begun meditating, and somehow the combination of diet, exercise, and removal of stimulants/depressants really started to make a difference. I felt clear, calm, and centred. Boring by some standards but wonderful by mine.

I ‘d been hearing about primal in late 2011, and finally read Mark’s Primal Blueprint in April 2012. Once again, the light went on, and I tweaked the slow carb diet into full primal. Shortly after that I began intermittent fasting, and feel like it’s kicked me up to the next level in terms of mental clarity, and I’ve seen a further kilo or two reduction in weight, visible in fat loss from my middle.

So, there it is. A slow and gradual set of changes, but on the cusp of 40 I’ve never been fitter, clearer or more equipped for life’s opportunities and challenges. I watch friends and colleagues get fatter, and struggle with their hangovers and constant tiredness, and then watch their confusion when they ask why I don’t drink/eat x/ etc.

There are no quick fixes. Everyone has to come to the right realisations for themselves, and I guess these take time. But, it is possible, and I’d encourage anyone reading this to take life by the horns and have a go. Good luck!

Thanks for reading this far.
    M

Pics: before in 2008, after 2012, and running sandals.
    2008.jpg
    2012 June.jpg
    Attachment 9089[/ATTACH]feet.jpg
    Last edited by speedy611; 09-06-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Uuuuugh, for a guy of your height and with your activity level, you're absolutely starving yourself.
    1500 kcal every other day.
    It's only 6000 kcal weekly.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Uuuuugh, for a guy of your height and with your activity level, you're absolutely starving yourself.
    1500 kcal every other day.
    It's only 6000 kcal weekly.
    Yep. You need to up that significantly.

You are also really light on strength workouts. "A few pullups and some light core work" is not going to build muscle, or improve your strength really.

Daydreamer, jfreaksho, thanks

Calorie intake is a bit higher than you suggest, as on IF days I'm effectively only skipping breakfast and dinner, per Brad Pillon's Eat stop eat protocol, and whilst ADF, its only 3 days per week. Are you suggesting that the lower calories are causing metabolic slowdown?

At the moment the aim is body fat reduction, rather than pure strength. The little strength work is there really as balance to the cycling and running, which is all legs. Once BF is down, I'll likely switch to a maintenance regime, and some increased strength focus, via HIIT or similar. My real problem is just the very, very slow / stalled BF reduction despite caloric restriction.

Cheers
    M

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps the very, very slow / stalled BF reduction is because of the caloric restriction.

Tapper47 - perhaps. I don't know enough to be certain either way. Some info suggests sufficient caloric load is necessary to prevent stalling, other literature indicates metabolic rate doesn't reduce in IF. Either way it's interesting that muscle mass loss isn't occurring, either due to dietary composition (paleo so higher protein) and/ or the exercise I do.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Speedy, congratulations on what you have been able to accomplish to date! I would definitely suggest adding a couple of lift heavy days to your weekly workout routines and head to the track for your interval training twice a week. I'd also back off on the long weekend run for a month to see what happens. Also check out the leangains approach to managing macro nutrient content, this has worked for many people. Personally I added bi weekly carb re-feeds which seemed to jump start my fat loss. Hope these ideas help. Good luck!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy611 View Post
    Daydreamer, jfreaksho, thanks

Calorie intake is a bit higher than you suggest, as on IF days I'm effectively only skipping breakfast and dinner, per Brad Pillon's Eat stop eat protocol, and whilst ADF, its only 3 days per week. Are you suggesting that the lower calories are causing metabolic slowdown?
    Maybe. You have to play around with things on your own. I can tell you about my experience all day, but it may not work for you. Try things. Control your variables. Log your results. It's like science or something. :-p

At the moment the aim is body fat reduction, rather than pure strength. The little strength work is there really as balance to the cycling and running, which is all legs. Once BF is down, I'll likely switch to a maintenance regime, and some increased strength focus, via HIIT or similar.
    Building muscle will help you drop body fat. The hormonal changes stimulated by lifting heavy things are good for losing fat. I'm fuzzy on the how and why details, but it's definitely a good thing. "Lifting Heavy Things" is one of the ten primal laws, right up there with "Moving Slowly" and "Sprinting Occasionally".

My real problem is just the very, very slow / stalled BF reduction despite caloric restriction.

Cheers
    M
    If it's not working, you need to stop it and try something different.

Canuck - thanks for this, and the encouragement. I agree - I'm backing off the longer runs, and swapping in some lifting. It's a bit of challenge, in that I rather like the runs (chronic cardio?!), but there is little point if they are ineffective. Carb refeeds and the leptin resets are worth looking at too, I suppose a baked potato every couple of weeks won't kill me. I often think that the real discipline with this sort of stuff is having a little of x (potato, bread, whatever), without suddenly blowing out and having a full on carb and sugar fest. Definitely something I've done in the past! I'm aware of Martin's lean gains site. Getting the 150g of protein daily feels hard, unless resorting to powders which I don't really want to do.

Jfreaksho - yes, the variations between people make finding the right approach both fascinating and frustrating. It'd be easier if there were a reliable once size fits all approach! I guess too, that at the margins (ie, approaching single digit body fat), the law of diminishing returns applies, and it just gets harder and less predictable. As you mentioned, good logging helps (which I'm doing, including blood glucose readings from time to time). I'm in the process of adding some lifting into the mix, and we will see what that does.

Thanks for all the input,
    M