Thread: Newbie married to a gluten addict page

Krysti is offline Junior Member

Newbie married to a gluten addict

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello! My name is Krysti, I'm 26 and have been diagnosed celiac (so gluten free) for 2 1/2 years, and then my sister turned me onto the Primal Blueprint roughly 7 months now.

I've lost 50 lbs since I started, and my hypoglycemia is GONE! Yay me and not having to carry around emergency peanut butter for when my blood sugar dropped.

My husband is addicted to gluten and set in his ways, not matter the evidence, the facts, the obvious "my wife just lost 50 lbs and she hasn't done anything more strenuous than walk around the block". I'll keep trying, but I'm here, and ready to learn more, and continue on my path to health.

I am another 8 lbs to my goal weight, but looking at what's left, and where I could be, I wouldn't be surprised if I lost more.

Here's to good health and quality food!

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I was your husband for years, married to a holistic nutritionist who put her clients on elimination diets all day long only to come home to find me devouring a pizza. He may come around, I did. It took 5 years, but I'm off gluten for good now.

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    I was your husband for years, married to a holistic nutritionist who put her clients on elimination diets all day long only to come home to find me devouring a pizza. He may come around, I did. It took 5 years, but I'm off gluten for good now.
    Good to hear there is hope. My hubby is the type to eat animal crackers for dinner, washed down with boxed lemonade. Way to show our 3 year old how to eat a healthy diet!
    I am waiting to have something to show before I spread the MDA Gospel!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    We're not married (yet - fingers crossed!) but I have lived with my boyfriend for 2 years, and about 16 months of that have been with me eating Primal. He still eats cereal, bread and pasta. He loves Nutrigrain bars, which horrifies me.

But I cook dinner most nights (I get home 3 hours before he does) so he eats what I make. Even when he cooks, he knows there are certain foods I shouldn't eat, so he makes sure there's enough that I can. He listens to some of the things I talk about, the research I come across, and even tells people how good Primal has been for me. But he still eats his wheat.

I have noticed that he is eating more eggs for breakfast. He cut way back on the soda. And he remembers the things we talked about. He just did a photo shoot for a medical conference, and one of the speakers was actually telling him the same things I've been saying, which was huge.

It's starting to sink in. It just takes time.

What I know doesn't work is being pushy with it. Gets people's backs up against a wall and then they'll never do it. Sounds like you're not the type to do that anyway, though.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

CocoaNut is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Good to hear there is hope. My hubby is the type to eat animal crackers for dinner, washed down with boxed lemonade. Way to show our 3 year old how to eat a healthy diet!
    I am waiting to have something to show before I spread the MDA Gospel!
    That's strange. I don't recall ever being married to you or having a child...

Huh.

In all seriousness, OP, I know that feel. The friend that made me decide to do careful tracking of my progress seems to show signs of gluten addiction. Just keep trying, and trying different things can help. I'm pretty sure that seeing my progress set on graphs, plain to see, will help to convince her (though maybe not entirely, it will be a step in the right direction).

I hope we get a chance to talk more!
    See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.