Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition Questions Fat/Protein for an athletic type/celiac disease page

amyb is offline Member

Nutrition Questions Fat/Protein for an athletic type/celiac disease

Primal Fuel
    I have alot of issues! I have celiac disease, soy intolerance and lactose intolerance, the main reason I went to a paleo diet is because many celiacs have success with eliminating all grains. It's worked really well for me, with some minor issues...and I'm hoping some of you can help me.

While I don't "train" for events/racing, I'm pretty active outdoors, I work out every morning either lifting weights, cardio or spin class. In addition, Mountain bike bike twice a week, climb once a week, hike, backpack...everything Colorado has to offer basically. I just don't sit still very well. I find that since going paleo and eliminating grains while it helped my digestion, made my moods worse so I'm wondering if I'm doing it right and I feel depressed/short tempered alot more. I have anti-depressants that used to work great and now don't do anything to help even had the meds reassessed. I'm also down to 110lbs at 5'6, seem to have stabilized at that weight. I also feel like my legs weigh a hundred pounds everytime I start a work out...it always goes away and my endurance is amazing but getting there is obnixously tough.

Few things that I'm wondering...do I follow the paleo for athletes...do I need that level of nutrition? I can't really follow it with my stomach issues. Second, I can't really have grains because of the stomach so adding more fruit...will that work? Maybe just sweet potatos?

I also wondered how many fat and protein gram servings do you typically see in a paleo meal. I have always been taught, you only need 4-6oz protein at a meal and one additional serving (5g) of fat (avocado, oil, etc) per meal. So that is basically what I just go with because I've done it for so long. Maybe if I bumped up my fat servings per meal...would that help my mood? How much protein (oz) do you eat in a meal and how many fat servings would you say? I'm not a big fan of animal fat and can't do butter.

Any guidance is much appreciated!
    Thank you.

amyb is offline Member

anyone please?

I didn't recieve any responses on this. And I'm also wondering...what do you count in your % of carbs...are we talking starchy vegs like squash or real grains?

Any help is really appreciated.
    Thank you.

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    Hi amyb!

How long have you been doing Paleo? Can you post a sample eating day for you?
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

XGrains is offline Member
    I just read a book called "The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife. Coconut oil will give you lots of energy and has been successful in helping those with digestive issues. Check it out.

amyb is offline Member
    September 6th, 2012 Write in your diary: How do you feel today?

breakfast
    Frozen Spinach
    A Mushroom 1/2 cup brocolli
    1/4 Avocado
    Kirkland Signature Smoked Sockeye Salmon 1oz
    3/4 c All Whites Egg Whites

lunch salad
    1tbsp flaxseed
    Planters Mixed Nuts 2oz (eaten throughout the day as a snack)
    Costco Kirkland Canned Chicken 2oz
    Salad with lettuce, spinach, mushroom, tomato, carrots, sometimes a beet, cucumber
    Usually snack on frozen grapes probably at least a cup of day, a bit of cantaloupe

Dinner
    Tilapia 4oz
    Birds Eye Brussels Sprouts 2cups
    Squash, Winter, Butternut 2 cups
    1 tsp. Bertolli Olive Oil

artic zone protein ice cream with chopped nuts and blueberries on top. Cause I cheat I know its probably not paleo but its one of the few ice creams I can eat!

Thank you!

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    Do you mean you started Paleo on the 6th? Fatigue and bad moods as you start is totally normal. Working out that first week or two is brutal. Also, are there peanuts in your mixed nuts and are you sure on the serving sizes? 1oz of salmon is nothing.

Other than that, your fat intake looks low to me and carbs look high. I am also female, 5'6", active and gluten intolerant. I lift 3x a week and do an hour of sports/cardio/walking 5-6x a week. There are days on the weekend I play 3 full hockey games. I choose to track what I eat and average about 50% of my calories from fat, 25-30% protien, 20-25% carb. I have found that it it easy to undershoot on fat.

-Is there a reason you don't eat whole eggs? The yolk has all the fat, 3/4 of a cup of egg whites have less than 0.5g of fat.
    -Do you eat red meat at all?

If you adjust your macros, and give your body a little bit to adjust to the diet, you should be fine. It is really helpful if you don't cheat in the beginning though!
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

amyb is offline Member

fix

Quote Originally Posted by c_bolton12 View Post
    Do you mean you started Paleo on the 6th? Fatigue and bad moods as you start is totally normal. Working out that first week or two is brutal. Also, are there peanuts in your mixed nuts and are you sure on the serving sizes? 1oz of salmon is nothing.

Other than that, your fat intake looks low to me and carbs look high. I am also female, 5'6", active and gluten intolerant. I lift 3x a week and do an hour of sports/cardio/walking 5-6x a week. There are days on the weekend I play 3 full hockey games. I choose to track what I eat and average about 50% of my calories from fat, 25-30% protien, 20-25% carb. I have found that it it easy to undershoot on fat.

-Is there a reason you don't eat whole eggs? The yolk has all the fat, 3/4 of a cup of egg whites have less than 0.5g of fat.
    -Do you eat red meat at all?

If you adjust your macros, and give your body a little bit to adjust to the diet, you should be fine. It is really helpful if you don't cheat in the beginning though!
    I've actually this way for awhile now, I cut and paste daily plate entry sorry about that. What do you mean by my carbs are high? What are you counting as carbs?

I do eat eggs sometimes, I go back and forth between eggs over easy and egg omletes and add avocado to breakfast always. I really don't like red meat much, never liked the flavor of it. I do eat pork. I workout every morning doing at least an hour cardio or spin class, 2-3x week lifting weights, rock climb at least once a week and then mountain bike 2-3 times a week in the afternoons. Weekends include long day rides, hikes, 14ers, backpacking. I eat alot of nuts and raisins and veggie chips as snacks on the trail.

I'm also curious to know what the "zone of misery" is all about, I heard about it but can't really find much information on it. I wonder if my protein is too high, I snack on mini sausages, fresh deli meat and veggies.

Thoughts?

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I agree that you seem low on fat intake...pork and tilapia are not fatty meats either.

Perhaps cut back on your chronic cardio too. It's one thing to take in the beautiful outdoors but dont overstress yourself with constant chronic cardio, but that's just my opinion.

Moll is offline Member
    amyb - are you actually tracking your food on a site that calculates your calories and macro nutrient ratios? I agree w/ the two other posters about high carbs/low fat. You're getting carbs from everything you're eating minus the meat and olive oil. For fun, I plugged in your daily food into my livestrong profile to get more of an idea of your calorie intake and ratios. It's obviously not completely accurate because I don't have measurements for everything you ate, but an approximate nutrient breakdown is 26% protein, 35% fat, and 39% carbs. (98 grams protein, 59 grams fat, 148 grams carbs) 98 grams of protein seems a bit high for your bodyweight. According to Mark, you should be getting between .7 and 1 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight. Even if you're only at 15% body fat, that'd give you a max requirement of 93 grams per day. I'd shoot for ratios more like what c_bolton mentioned, but you could probably go even higher on the fat end of that. If you're unsure of what is counting towards your carbs etc, I'd plug all your food into a calculator and pay attention to how many grams you get out of different kinds of foods. Almost everything is going to contain some carbs, and so you may find you rack them up more quickly than you'd thought.

Here's a quote from paleobird on her thread EAT MORE FAT. I'd recommend reading that thread for some really good info.
    "I think where a lot of Primals go wrong is in embracing all those yummy primal meats so much that we overdo the protein portion of the equation and thereby knock ourselves out of ketosis. Then, still trying to hold down the carbs, we get stuck in what Dr. Peter Attia of The Eating Academy calls the "Zone of Misery", not enough carbs to run on glucose but too much protein to allow for efficient metabolism of fat. Stuck in the middle and generally feeling like crap."

Good luck to you!

amyb is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Moll View Post
    amyb - are you actually tracking your food on a site that calculates your calories and macro nutrient ratios? I agree w/ the two other posters about high carbs/low fat. You're getting carbs from everything you're eating minus the meat and olive oil. For fun, I plugged in your daily food into my livestrong profile to get more of an idea of your calorie intake and ratios. It's obviously not completely accurate because I don't have measurements for everything you ate, but an approximate nutrient breakdown is 26% protein, 35% fat, and 39% carbs. (98 grams protein, 59 grams fat, 148 grams carbs) 98 grams of protein seems a bit high for your bodyweight. According to Mark, you should be getting between .7 and 1 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight. Even if you're only at 15% body fat, that'd give you a max requirement of 93 grams per day. I'd shoot for ratios more like what c_bolton mentioned, but you could probably go even higher on the fat end of that. If you're unsure of what is counting towards your carbs etc, I'd plug all your food into a calculator and pay attention to how many grams you get out of different kinds of foods. Almost everything is going to contain some carbs, and so you may find you rack them up more quickly than you'd thought.

Here's a quote from paleobird on her thread EAT MORE FAT. I'd recommend reading that thread for some really good info.
    "I think where a lot of Primals go wrong is in embracing all those yummy primal meats so much that we overdo the protein portion of the equation and thereby knock ourselves out of ketosis. Then, still trying to hold down the carbs, we get stuck in what Dr. Peter Attia of The Eating Academy calls the "Zone of Misery", not enough carbs to run on glucose but too much protein to allow for efficient metabolism of fat. Stuck in the middle and generally feeling like crap."

Good luck to you!
    I think you are counting my vegetable consumption as carbs I would assume? Being as athletic as I am...which I don't intend to cut back on as it is really important to me and my mental health...and its almost ski season... Don't I need those carbs? I'm also not looking to lose weight here...just keep it on. I loosely follow Paleo because I know grains don't work for me. So I occassionally eat dark chocolate and I'm sure that would count as fat/carb. I don't want to be too strict about this. My diet is strict as it is without me making things more complicated. My main concern is my moods...I don't want to feel depressed and anxious all the time...so I'm worried about that zone of misery and think you might be right, maybe too much protein? Is there any other resources where I can read more about that? the consumption of too much protein?

Also, if I was going to add more fat to meals...how many more fat servings do I need? I eat one per meal right now. 1/4 an avocado for example or a tbsp of flaxseed. Do I need to measure this stuff? I have a tendency to be OCD about food because of my digestive issues, it sucks. I used to track my food obsessively to figure out what was hurting my stomach so I do well when someone tells me how many servings of each group I need per meal or what makes the most sense for an athletic type.

Thanks for your help on this, I really appreciate you guys trying to help me sort through all this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast