Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition Questions Fat/Protein for an athletic type/celiac disease page 2

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi amyb. Thinking you need all those carbs is still CW thinking in my opinion. Like I said in my previous post, I am also very active and in addition to the above, walk everywhere. You are lighter than me, by a bit more than 20 pounds, but if you are as active as you are, you could eat more along with changing your macros. Yesterday was a pretty typical day for me if you want some reference, which I think everything I ate you could eat too, besides the sour cream:

Breakfast:
    0.5lb pork shoulder, apple
    Lunch:
    Beanless chili with whole fat sour cream and cheese, cup of broccoli, and piece of dark chocolate
    Exercise: 3.4 mile run with a friend. Little slower than my normal pace, wore a heart rate monitor, burned 510 calories
    Dinner:
    Half rotisserie Chicken (didn't quite finish it), greek salad, and 2 cups of mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)

In sum I had 1,770 calories, 104g of carb (24%), 103g of fat (52%), 106g of protien (24%). (I restrict calories some because I still want to lose a few pounds. With my BMR and activity level yesterday I could have eaten just north of 2200)

I have found that I dont really need all the carbs I thought I did to maintain my performance in athletics. It was hard for a month or so to transition, I felt sluggish in cardio and lifting was more difficult, but once my body adjusted I've been so much better. My muscle recovery is faster and my endurance is better. Adding fat and cutting carbs was really hard for me at the beginning, you can check PaleoBird's thread EAT MOAR FAT or let me know if you want help on adjusting your meals. You can still be an awesome athlete and eat paleo, but if you want to be a fat burner, you need to give your body some fat to burn!!
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

Moll is offline Member
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that we're "counting something as carbs." There's nothing subjective about measuring the carb amounts in foods - they're either there or they're not. Vegetables are predominantly made of carbs, but can have varying amounts of protein as well - mushrooms specifically contain quite a bit of protein for their caloric value. Avocados are vegetables but are predominantly composed of fat - yet they still contain carbs.

The fruits you're eating (specifically grapes and melon) are going to drive up your carb intake dramatically as they're almost solely carbs.

I'm not necessarily suggesting you cut your carbs if that's what keeps your mood up, but I'd definitely recommend calculating your daily caloric needs, and then figuring out how many grams of protein you should be getting based on your lean body mass. I imagine it will be less than what you're currently eating.

As far as fat, I'd absolutely recommend getting more per meal. It's really hard to divide things up into servings because one serving of two different foods is going to give you a vastly different nutritional breakdown. Without knowing your caloric requirements, I'd hesitantly advise you do do things like upping your avocado from 1/4 to a whole, or your olive oil from 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp. And leave the yolks in your eggs? If you can get your hands on coconut oil, I'd incorporate that too.

You mention not wanting to make your diet more complicated than it is, but I'd at least take the time to figure out your baselines for nutrient and caloric needs so you at least have something to go on. If you provide your age, height, weight, body fat % (if you know it), and activity level, I can calculate it for you. Otherwise, I'd start by adding fat at the very least. You may be feeling tired because you're simply not getting enough calories.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Are we seriously telling a highly active, very lean person that 148g of carbs is too much? That's within Mark's recommendations (and he actually suggests that some very active people might need a little more). Not everyone needs to be in ketosis 24/7, something that's also been discussed in the "eat moar fat" thread.

Yes, we don't need to buy into the CW idea that we are all fuelled on carbs all the time, but there's a range of carbs suggested on primal for a reason, since we all have different needs. For someone who's working out hard daily (and sometimes multiple times a day) and doesn't have a lot of time in between to replenish muscle glycogen via other means, then a moderate carb intake is sensible. You don't want to exceed your daily needs so that you can still burn fat as necessary, but not everyone needs to be sub-50g.

Going VLC exacerbated my depression symptoms, and I've found that incorporating a reasonable level carb (100-150g) from clean primal sources has helped that. You might consider including more sweet potatoes (or white potatoes if you tolerate them well), squashes, carrots, and other starchier vegetables as carb options instead of depending solely on fruit. You don't necessarily need to bump up that intake a lot, but some variety would be good and the GI of those foods may be better for you than grapes and melon.

What I see in your daily menu is simply not enough food to fuel that kind of day. Have you calculated how much you were eating on a more conventional diet as compared to now? I find it can be easy to undereat on paleo, and if you're that active and losing weight still (which it sounds like you are? 110 pounds at 5'6" is quite low for that height), you may simply not be eating enough food. Up the fats a bit--eat proper eggs instead of egg whites, enjoy more of that avocado, eat some higher fat meats--and see if that doesn't help the issue.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Are we seriously telling a highly active, very lean person that 148g of carbs is too much? That's within Mark's recommendations (and he actually suggests that some very active people might need a little more). Not everyone needs to be in ketosis 24/7, something that's also been discussed in the "eat moar fat" thread.
    We aren't telling her it is too much - just too much relative to how much she is eating. 148g is great if she was eating more and it wasn't 50% of her caloric intake - that is a big share of her macros for a paleo diet
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

amyb is offline Member

so what you're saying...

I guess what the general theme is that I need to eat more fat in my meals...I have to say guys..I REALLY love fruit. I eat frozen grapes alot, I love em, totally addicted.

I'm wondering if more fat content will help my moods though. I don't know that I've ever been in ketosis...I'm not sure how I would even tell if that were the case. I will up my healthy fats and see if that makes a difference. I don't know that I'm eating all that much protein, a couple eggs at breakfast, 2oz at lunch and 4-6 oz at dinner? is that alot of lean protein?

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    I guess what the general theme is that I need to eat more fat in my meals...I have to say guys..I REALLY love fruit. I eat frozen grapes alot, I love em, totally addicted.

I'm wondering if more fat content will help my moods though. I don't know that I've ever been in ketosis...I'm not sure how I would even tell if that were the case. I will up my healthy fats and see if that makes a difference. I don't know that I'm eating all that much protein, a couple eggs at breakfast, 2oz at lunch and 4-6 oz at dinner? is that alot of lean protein?
    Fruit is a reward, not a staple for me. Too much fructose. While exercising are you eating anything? I run far and often (50K-50M racer). While training and racing I eat Oskri Organics coconut bars. 60% coconut, 40% brown rice syrup. Totally paleo? NO, great for a long workout? YES. Why not eat the whole egg? Egg whites without the yolk is like guacamole without avocado.

Good luck.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    It probably will. You are not eating much protein at all. To help build muscle, you will need more than that! Amounts vary, but I aim for 1g per lb of lean body mass. That means at least 100g for you (I'm the same height, 110 lbs is VERY SKINNY). You can calculate how much that is on sparkpeople or myfitnesspal or fitday.

Have you read Mark's books or any other books on the paleo diet? Your diet strikes me as a kind of conventional vegetarian one, almost, not really paleo.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Yeah, more fat as a percentage of your diet. You can keep the carbs (the fruit, the veggies etc) the same if you want. You don't need to be in ketosis, but having more fat in your diet will help you with inflammation, energy and mood. I have spoken to so many people who are not even on the paleo or primal diet whose moods improved 100% when they cut out grains and added more healthy fats.

Try to get a good balance of healthy fats. Some saturated fats from animals and some monounsaturated fats from avocados and olive oils. Coconut oil if you like it. Stay away from canola, soy, corn, flaxseed oils because they are inflammatory. Oils from nuts (butters, whole nuts, extracted oils) in moderation so that it's all in balance with the other fats. You need some of all kinds of fats, not predominantly one or the other. And you do not need to binge on them, just get enough.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Moll is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    It probably will. You are not eating much protein at all. To help build muscle, you will need more than that! Amounts vary, but I aim for 1g per lb of lean body mass. That means at least 100g for you (I'm the same height, 110 lbs is VERY SKINNY).
    Lean body mass = the number of pounds of body weight that isn't fat. The absolute BOTTOM shelf for body fat percentage for women is 10%, and amy_b, if you ARE only at 10%, you'll probably have quite a few issues associated with that including hormone imbalances which cause your period to cease. If you're not having serious issues like these I'm going to assume you're in the safe range for body fat, which is 14% at the very lowest. This means that the maximum amount of protein you should be eating per day is 94.6 grams. (100%-14%=86%; that's your lean body mass. Your body weight * your lean body mass [110 *.86] = 94.6 grams.) You may not think you're getting that much protein - I don't know if that's the case. But in calculating the amount of protein you got from the food you listed for one day, you were at 97 grams. If that's a typical day for you, you're getting plenty of protein. More than that may start to cause health problems.
    Last edited by Moll; 09-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Moll is offline Member

This is your food that I inputted into a calorie calculator. You can see exactly how your food breaks down into fat, protein, and carbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast