Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy Crap, I think I'm in ketosis. page 2

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Does this mean I'm in ketosis, too?
    No. It's really not that easy to get into -- except perhaps for babies.

All else being as expected -- carbohydrate intake below <50g, energy level having fallen and then having climbed again, and so on -- it would likely be a sign. In your case it's not going to be.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little confused.

Does this mean that not having a big appetite = being in ketosis?

Lately I've had a very low appetite, often not needing or wanting breakfast or lunch and simultaneously feeling energized. Even when I do get hungry, I don't really feel like it's an emergency, and can easily postpone eating as long as necessary. But I'm eating high carb+sugar, relatively low fat.

Not ketosis, but metabolically flexible and healthy. I can also fast comfortably and have good energy despite eating more carbs, meaning that I can run on fat despite not eating a ketogenic diet. Fat adaptation and long-term ketosis are not necessarily the same thing.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Not ketosis, but metabolically flexible and healthy. I can also fast comfortably and have good energy despite eating more carbs, meaning that I can run on fat despite not eating a ketogenic diet. Fat adaptation and long-term ketosis are not necessarily the same thing.
    Thanks for that Owly.

I am sure there are many posts ad nauseum on this forum about ketosis and fat-adaptation. Hehe.

I'd love to (long term) become someone who can enjoy more fruits and things like honey and so forth without my body reverting to sugar burning. Currently I limit my intake of fruit pretty severely because I want to make sure I am not just giving my body a different way to continue burning carbs over fat (previously I ate a lot of bread and sugar, never read labels etc).

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    I am sure there are many posts ad nauseum on this forum about ketosis and fat-adaptation. Hehe.
    There are some. Thanks for your interest in the community here. I hope we were able to help you with your question.

Kylex286 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    That's awesome Kyle!

I am trying a new experiment with myself today. I was really hungry this morning, which I never used to be... prior to trying primal/paleo/whole9 i was a chronic breakfast skipper. I've been trying to be better about it, and now I eat breakfast every day!

So anyway this morning I upped my eggs from 2 to 3 and used more spinach and mushrooms and ended up with a much larger overall scramble. I am going to chow down with this and see how my day goes - I decided not to bother packing a lunch at all. Saved me a little time!

If i do end up feeling unbearable hunger pangs later in the day, I have plenty of almonds and water and can have a lara bar half if absolutely necessary but I think I will do just fine. I am excited!
    I actually found out that after about 2-3 months of going primal Breakfast was the only meal I couldn't skip. Thankfully a quick 10-15 and I'd have a very good bacon & eggs breakfast to fill my stomach through my long days at school.

Although, I realized that being in school I need to eat more than when I'm on break. Probably because I was sitting in class at using my brain all the time.

Recetly, I started using fresh chilly peppers and fresh basil in my eggs. My mom bought e a plant because I wanted them... Rather nice of her. I use them in basically all of my cooking. Yesterday I made a rather filling mixture of 80% -15% beef, five eggs, chilly peppers and ground pepper. I only ate about half of it, which is rather surprising for me and my eating habits when it comes to having meat for breakfast. Usually though, I end up making a four egg omelet. I recently come to the decision to mix up my eating habits a little bit because I think I've been IFing for a little bit to long.

But good Luck with your Ketosis, just try to switch it up a little bit. For me, I only ate egg omelets for awhile so I think that is why I was able to last so long with only eating a 4 egg omelet. Keep the body guessing!

Also, I think I'm probably going to take eggs out of my diet for 2 weeks to a month, depending what kind of eggs I can find in Japan.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little confused.

Does this mean that not having a big appetite = being in ketosis?

Lately I've had a very low appetite, often not needing or wanting breakfast or lunch and simultaneously feeling energized. Even when I do get hungry, I don't really feel like it's an emergency, and can easily postpone eating as long as necessary. But I'm eating high carb+sugar, relatively low fat.

No, eating high carb+sugar it's never going to happen. Eat ~30 grams of carbs for 3 days or so and it's guaranteed.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    No, eating high carb+sugar it's never going to happen. Eat ~30 grams of carbs for 3 days or so and it's guaranteed.
    Hmmm...ketosis is when the body burns stored fat as energy, correct?

So, theoretically, if a person was even eating ONLY carbohydrate, but still eating below their daily required caloric requirement, they'd HAVE TO dip into fat reserves to make up the difference. How is that different from low-carb ketosis? Seems like both ways of eating end up with the same result: burning fat for energy.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm...ketosis is when the body burns stored fat as energy, correct?

So, theoretically, if a person was even eating ONLY carbohydrate, but still eating below their daily required caloric requirement, they'd HAVE TO dip into fat reserves to make up the difference. How is that different from low-carb ketosis? Seems like both ways of eating end up with the same result: burning fat for energy.
    I may be wrong, but my understanding of ketosis is when there's not enough glucose for the brain to use, so the body is forced to make ketone bodies which the brain can also use for energy. So I would assume that if you're getting enough carbohydrate your body won't go into ketosis. That doesn't mean your body won't burn fat though... people can and do burn fat eating high carb/low fat diets. If you've got an overall calorie deficit the energy for your body to survive on has to come from SOMEWHERE.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Not ketosis, but metabolically flexible and healthy.
    +1

I've noticed to that if I eat heavily one day, the next day I can fall into an IF without realizing it. As Dr. Davis says, you "forget" to eat.

Is there any reason someone can't be in a temporary ketosis, for example for a few hours, simply depending on how you're eating?
    5'0" female, 42 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: 105.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    I've noticed to that if I eat heavily one day, the next day I can fall into an IF without realizing it. As Dr. Davis says, you "forget" to eat.
    Is there any reason someone can't be in a temporary ketosis, for example for a few hours, simply depending on how you're eating?
    No reason why not. This is what Mark refers to as The Fat Burning Beast metabolism, shifting back and forth with no difficulty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12