Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass fed, corn finished nutrition profile page

Kiowa is offline Junior Member

Grass fed, corn finished nutrition profile

Shop Now
    So I am getting a quarter of a cow that until recently I thought was going to be grass fed. However I just learned that, due to the drought like conditions we have experienced the animal will be grass raised, corn finished. I am wondering how this will impact the nutritional profile of the animal... am I getting any CLA? or is this thing just going to be a low nutrition corn ball.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    The cow will still have nutrition but it will have less of the good stuff. You reserved a grass-finished cow which isn't cheap and they aren't delivering that. I would cancel the order.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I would also cancel. Find the real thing.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

awm8604 is offline Member
    Cancel and look for a 100% grass-fed and finished cow.

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awm8604 View Post
    Cancel and look for a 100% grass-fed and finished cow.

Have fun with that. You are so divorced from the realities of our food supply that it is laughable. Why, one might ask, would a farmer committed to grass-fed animals corn-finish a beast? Hmmm---might it be that there is a drought and that grass doesn't grow without rain? One of the beauties of grain is that it can be stockpiled over a bumper year to the next. Hay, OTOH, loses nutrition as it sits.

Second, are you aware of how most farmers "grain-finish" a steer? We don't lock the beast in a lot and feed it nothing but grain, though we may well confine them to prevent the total ruin of our pastures. We give them mainly hay, if it is too dry for grass, and once a day we dump out a few buckets of corn or such into a feeder and let them have at it.

Welcome to reality. You like to live on pastured animals, but if it stays dry and the grass doesn't grow, you'll be paying $20 a pound for hamburger, if you can find it.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
    Have fun with that. You are so divorced from the realities of our food supply that it is laughable. Why, one might ask, would a farmer committed to grass-fed animals corn-finish a beast? Hmmm---might it be that there is a drought and that grass doesn't grow without rain? One of the beauties of grain is that it can be stockpiled over a bumper year to the next. Hay, OTOH, loses nutrition as it sits.

Second, are you aware of how most farmers "grain-finish" a steer? We don't lock the beast in a lot and feed it nothing but grain, though we may well confine them to prevent the total ruin of our pastures. We give them mainly hay, if it is too dry for grass, and once a day we dump out a few buckets of corn or such into a feeder and let them have at it.

Welcome to reality. You like to live on pastured animals, but if it stays dry and the grass doesn't grow, you'll be paying $20 a pound for hamburger, if you can find it.
    Totally agreed, by the time you locate exactly what you are looking for, what are you going to be consuming and how much will you pay?
    As said, be realistic, go ahead, eat the corn cow and be thankfull it wasn't raised on SOY meal.
    But still keep looking for a reliable source of fully pastured beef for the next lot.

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    The farmers are doing all they can. There is a drought. Give the guy a chance. We put the farmers out of business and then what are we going to eat?
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    I think it's good that the farmer was honest. That tells you that you can trust him.

IMO, a lot (if not all) "grass-fed" farmers supplement their feed with stuff like Wheat, corn, and Soy. I think it's obviously much, much less than we get from industrial mill farmers, but the fact is that farmers are just humans. They can't create rain, no matter how badly they might want.

In drought conditions, such as this year, they very likely needed to supplement their feed. Just because your grass-fed supplier doesn't tell you that, doesn't mean he didn't. I buy grass-fed well knowing that it wasn't truly 100% grass fed and I'm okay with that.

stoney56 is offline Member
    The farmer I am using explained to me his reasing for using the grain/corn feed that he uses occasionally:

1) He said it is helpful to get the cows exposed to grains because they view it as a treat. If the cows escape their fenced off area, all the farmer has to do is shake the grain bucket at them and they come a running back to get the treat!

2) In lean times (droughts), and during the winter, he supplements with grains if and when they run out of hay. Harder winters require it where I live (Western New York).

Seems like it made sense to me, and he said the grains end up about 10-15% of their total diet for the life of the animal.
    Last edited by stoney56; 09-06-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Kiowa is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everyone, I am leaning towards still buying my share, as a couple people mentioned, at least he was honest with me.
    I would like to think that as long as the animal is still getting hay or grass with the supplemented corn diet at the end of a pasture based life there will be enough of the "good stuff" in the animal to justify the purchase. There are other benefits too, it is a local animal, and overall, it will be much cheaper than even the grass fed-corn finished beef at my local co-op.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast