Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grass fed, corn finished nutrition profile page 2

Primal Fuel
    30 Days may not be such a big deal.

Some people prefer grain-finished flavor.

Our farmers locally who raise 100% grass-fed have not had the severe drought problems and are able to finish on grass, so I think attacking someone as being divorced from reality is sort of uncalled for - depends on conditions in the area and the farmer's methodology. Since the OP's area is drought-stricken, I think the decision to proceed with the purchase is sound, given the facts at hand.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    In your original post, you said the cow was going to be corn-finished. Is it just a week or two or is it 3 months? Will the cow still be on pasture or kept confined and only have access to corn? Finished is a big difference than supplemented when it comes to health and nutrition.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    If the cow is raised in a fairly "natural" way, don't sweat the difference between grain and grass fed/finished/supplemented.

Grok, after all, ate all kinds of semi-rancid meat that had to be practically charcoaled into palatability.

Kiowa is offline Junior Member
    Finnegan, thank you for that link, that was just the type of info I was looking for!!!! I feel a lot better as this animal will see no more than a month, but I'm surmising around a couple weeks of a corn supplemented diet. Looks like there will be plenty of omegas left, especially as it will still be getting some natural forage.

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am already giving my sheep and goats hay due to the drought. I feed them alfalfa pellets in their automatic feeders though. It's better this year though--last year I had to start throwing hay in early August. We are getting 2 steers to raise in Oct. We will slaughter them in March or so. They will just get hay. No grass grows in the winter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12